Office copiers : Canon vs Xerox vs Konica Minolta

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
We are re-evaluating our contracts for our office copiers (12 overall). We've been with Konica Minolta for years, but now both Canon and Xerox offered us very interesting offers. I haven't heard many nice things about Xerox's customer support and satisfaction over the past few decades, so I'm a bit bias against them. Canon, on the other hand, always seems above average in those categories.

There's nothing really wrong with Konica Minolta. We don't have any major problems, but having some competition is good IMO. I think it would be time to do a limited test drive of another brand. I plan to switch one of the copiers before the end of the month and see how well it goes. Depending on my users' feedback, I might try to renew most of the copiers' park.

Any feedback about Canon, Xerox and Konica Minolta?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't have very much involvement with document center type devices except to say that I recently spent eight full hours talking to Ricoh support because they had the wrong scanner drivers for one of their products on their public web site (which is different from the one their support people use, apparently) and couldn't be made to understand the problem.

Also yes, I too have nothing positive to say about Xerox in any context. I do have customers with Minolta copiers but if they're a problem at least they're not telling me about it. Which in a very real way is the nicest thing about them.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
So, looking at the ~60 queues I have:
small Brother, HP, zebra, lexmark
large Canon, Kyocera, Xerox, Konica/Minolta

I'm using universal drivers with the Canons, HPs,
Honestly once I set up the queues and the group policies I don't hear a word about them. But I have a level of support below me so I'm not sure I would hear unless the IP or model changed.

ddrueding

Fixture
Xerox bad, Konica/Minolta a known evil (their networking is just a bit less reliable than I'd like, what do you mean you can't scan to a windows network share reliably?!)

No experience with the others.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Xerox bad, Konica/Minolta a known evil (their networking is just a bit less reliable than I'd like, what do you mean you can't scan to a windows network share reliably?!)

No experience with the others.
So what do you use at your office? Konica Minolta? If Xerox and Minolta are the only two you know about, then I assume these are the only two you use(d).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
In any case, the consensus seems to be that there's nothing really wrong with Canon, a lot of bad sides with Xerox and somewhere in between with Konica Minolta. Isn't it right?

Mercutio

Well, there's the Ricoh option, for which their service techs apparently recommend a freeware FTP server on client desktops in preference to using SMB at all.

ddrueding

Fixture
We use Konica Minolta. And I did end up configuring an FTP server on the Synology box that holds the scans to make that work. No security, not happy. HR has a desktop unit connected via USB for privacy issues.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
In any case, the consensus seems to be that there's nothing really wrong with Canon, a lot of bad sides with Xerox and somewhere in between with Konica Minolta. Isn't it right?

We use the Canons at work and they seem to be more reliable than some others we had some years ago. I very rarely see a repair guy come around.
Few people make copies anymore. Most usage is printing and scanning to e-mail. We print to one server and then go to any printer in the building and the RFID badge logs the user in.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
We won't need to go as far as using an RFID module on the printers, but a simple ID code would be nice.

The Konica Minolta seller says his C368 model has security features that works just as well as the Canon, but your comments tend to prove him wrong. My Scrooge director leans on the Konica Minolta side because it's 30$ less per months (on an almost 400$ monthly bill). 30$ should be so easy to justify when you see the added value of the Canon. I may drink my coffee like a boss, but I certainly don't think like one yet.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I have no opinions on scan to share, but scan to email always works for us with any manufacturer we've tried.

Mercutio

Depends on workload. I'd murder users who started emailing 50MB PDFs every time they scanned something, just on general principle.

LunarMist

Do you have some limits? I think we have 50MB for internal, which includes the printer and 20 for external. Some external parties complain that we don't receive their emails.

Stereodude

Not really a
We have some piece of crap HP home office class all in one color inkjet at my current job. It's awful to the point I wouldn't piss on it if it was on fire to put it out.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
We've set a 20MB limit on e-mail attachments. People here often try to mail 80MB PDF files and each and every time, despite the clear message they get about the reason the mail failed to be delivered, it seems like a complete surprise and novelty to them. I often just highlight the reason the mail failed and repeat the text just below. It is astonishing, the amount of illiterates we have.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
We have some piece of crap HP home office class all in one color inkjet at my current job. It's awful to the point I wouldn't piss on it if it was on fire to put it out.
The Canon guys I've met were all proud to tell me that HP Laserjet printers were actually made by Canon. I thought it was the other way around, but I knew they came from the same place.

LunarMist

We've set a 20MB limit on e-mail attachments. People here often try to mail 80MB PDF files and each and every time, despite the clear message they get about the reason the mail failed to be delivered, it seems like a complete surprise and novelty to them. I often just highlight the reason the mail failed and repeat the text just below. It is astonishing, the amount of illiterates we have.

So how do people send large files? We have some hypersend bullshit, but it never works. :(

ddrueding

Fixture
We use Google to run our e-mail system, and they have a 20MB limit. We also have DropBox Corporate, and they have a Google plug-in that embeds an interface that supports 10GB attachments though their service.