OpenBSD needs 20K$ to pay electricity bill.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I read that here, which is based on this message.

Let's say that they pay their electricity 8¢/KWh, which I assume is a pretty average number (our company pays less than 6¢ per KW/h). In order to climb to 20000$, you have, according to my calculations, to pump a bit more than 28KW per hour, sustained, for an entire year. To put things in perspective, TWO fully filled HP BL c7000, with the most power-hungry processors you can place in them, each with 256MB of fast RAM, plus two manageable switchs and all needed remote administration modules AND an 80-disk SAN (80!), all working at an unrealistically high load, would pump roughly 14KW/h.

So, what the Hell are they using to maintain such a high electrical load, no idea. If I was the one willing to pay their electrical bill, I would first ask them to sit down with me in order to look what can be done to lower their electrically consumption. It could probably be done by modernising some of their equipment and through a wider use of virtualization. I mean, how many machines or virtual machines does one really need in order to develop and maintain an operating system? Quite a few, I'm sure, but enough to pump an average of 28KW, really?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Heating, cooling and lighting would also be part of that bill. Depending on the building size that could be a substantial part of the bill.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
So, what the Hell are they using to maintain such a high electrical load, no idea.
IIRC, OpenBSD officially runs on 24 different platforms, so the build farm would have around 40-50 servers/pc's (avg 2 per architecture), plus web servers, source control servers, etc.... So a $20K bill for 50+ servers is a proper installation (air-con/heating, UPS, etc) is that not unreasonable...

Also don't forget some of the older servers and architectures were not that power friendly... (IIRC, some Sun SPARC servers had dual redundant 1KW PSUs many years before they came available in the i386/PC world).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
OpenBSD is kind of the Cult of Theo de Raadt. I wonder how many well-meaning supporters he has chased away over the years?