Opera

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
It is supposed to be faster than any other browser.
Chrome's been annoying me lately with one plug-in on one page holding up all the other pages. I thought there was supposed to be separate processes for each tab.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I thought there was supposed to be separate processes for each tab.

It's more complicated than that. If you open 10 tabs that are all pointing at the same domain then more than likely that will all be contained in one process, but not always. If you open up the Chrome task manager and click "stats for nerds," you can see which tabs are a part of which process.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
For people who say that Firefox is a memory hog, I say that Chrome is actually worse, especially after you get over six or seven open tabs. Large numbers of tabs are also a problem for Opera, according to what I've read.

To me, Opera is flat-out missing functionality that should come from having a working addon architecture and a developer community to go along with it, especially now that Chrome has had a decent number of Firefox addons ported to it. Opera still has weird keyboard shortcuts and partially implemented chunks of what are great ideas when carried to their logical conclusion, such as its pain in the ass content blocker that doesn't offer subscription-based updates.

As far as speed, the crown seems to be basically passed to whichever browser has released most recently and depends quite a bit on what's being included in the benchmark.

With some thought I guess Opera is probably better than Safari as well. I forgot about Safari. And at least they don't expect people to pay for it any more.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I use Opera for certain things on my Linux box, mainly for it's superior password manager. Firefox on Fedora is terribly slow (page rendering), so I almost never use it. Mostly, I use Chrome, though, I miss Tab Mix Plus, which I use to highly customize the tab behavior in Firefox.