OS/2 News

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4743
We're pleased to note, however, that Intel has not given up the ghost on the "better Windows than Windows" that IBM used to promote so heavily, and has released a graphics driver for OS/2, providing accelerated display graphics for both Presentation Manager and Win OS2 apps at SVGA colour depths and resolutions. It also supplies monitor selection and refresh configuration capability.

Download file here. If you are an OS/2 guru, you'll already know this, seeing has how the driver is dated March 15, 2002.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I would buy a drink for Tea, but I think she's already under the table after hearing the good news.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Driver for an 845G? Err, yup, it's available and I knew about it, but Intel always do OS/2 drivers. Well, nearly always. Unfortunately, while I appreciate their effort, I have always thought that Intel's graphics products were dreadful damn things. On the whole, given a choice between and Intel graphics board and a Trident, I'd take the Trident. As for the chipset side of things, I haven't been able to work out how to get my XP into the socket on the 845. Did they put the wrong number of holes in it or something?

(hic)

Tip of the queeno

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Speaking of holes and sockets, I just spent an interesting half hour going cross-eyed trying to straighten the pins on a Duron 850. Tiny damn things. It was a brand new one too. Damn motherboard bent it on me. Eventually I took another Duron and I couldn't get that one to fit either. Bent it too. There was something wrong with the socket, I figured eventually. Looked at it closely from several angles. Hey? What's wrong with Gigabyte anyway? I fiddled with the open/close mechanism. Then it occurred to me that one does not normally see the legend "Socket 370" on a motherboard.

WTF is a Socket 370 board doing floating around my workshop? If we sold any number of them, I'd get into the habit of checking each time. But with an average AMD/Intel ratio of about 50:1 it didn't occur to me, just plugged a Duron in same as usual. :(

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
Tea said:
Driver for an 845G? Err, yup, it's available and I knew about it, but Intel always do OS/2 drivers...

A few graphics card manufacturers still put some level of effort into OS/2 drivers.

On a side note: My younger brother was a diehard OS/2 user for years, even after it went semi-dormant. I suspect this was because he helped write some of OS/2 (mostly device drivers) way back when he worked for IBM, but I could be wrong. ;^)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
They announced this a long time ago.

Considering the operating system's staying power, I think that they're just using this as an opportunity to jack up the support costs. They may actually deserve it.