People in glass houses ...

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
You know what the really great thing about wise old sayings is? You can ignore the bloody things, that's what it is.

I was surfing just now, looking for details on the ultra-crap VX Pro main board I just laid my hands on (for photographic purposes only, of course), and this particular site that Google pointed me to had some "user reviews" that made me giggle. I mean, how can you possibly give five stars to an Amptron motherboard?

No matter. I clicked on, and then I stumbled across this thread: http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=103936 about IBM hard drives. Some wonderful wisdom to be gleaned here. For example:

"I think ibm and maxtor are the worst hdd's ever created "

"i forgot about fujitsu.. i thought they were actually pretty stable hdd's but sometimes there are problems getting the drive to register with your system when you first build it"

"It's interesting that 5 years old HDDs are more stable than the newest know-how's."

But this was the pearler:

"my IBM is very quiet..... quieter than my 3 5400 rpm Seagates put together"

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Haven't had a drink all night. Unless you count that fizzy stuff with the lemon in it. But it's only a real drink when it's got alcohol in it isn't it? I can tell when people are drinking alcohol because they walk funny and lie down to talk with DB. Buck was doing it the other night.

Anyway, I know there is no alcohol in this stuff: it's clear. Nice taste too. Ithink I'll have another one.

And anyway, James, it's not the wrong forum. This is feedback isn't it? Well, comentary on a discussion board, at least. It seemed to fit better here than in Computers. Sherrif Bill can move it if he likes.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The words of an insightful (note hint of sarcasm) chap from the aforementioned thread: “I have an 8 gig IBM drive and an 8 gig Maxtor drive. They are both 5 years old and have not given me any problems at all. I have done multiple formats and reinstalls and still no slow down or noise at all. I don't even have any hard drive coolers on them.”

I don’t recall any 8-gigabyte ATA drives requiring special cooling techniques. Oh, and formatting has no impact on the drives life expectancy. If you want to shorten a drives life, run beatdisk for a week.