problem Phone Reset

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
For some reason my phone completely reset itself for no good reason. Now it is asking fir Androgen Google)) password, of which I have no clue. The help says to go onlibe, but yhe one time uTerus my account was locked. Now Im totally screwed as this phone is also used for work email and I need to have that app installed. I do have a tablet in home base with the same account. Is there some way to extract the password from it? It is a Samsung was the Gingernut OS IIRC. Thanks for any help. I have three trips over the next two Weeks and this is becoming a montrer.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I found this post easier to read in the original Klingon: 'op meq narghtaHvIS 'oH wabmeyvetlh reset phone pagh QaQ, meq. DaH fir Androgen google ghel 'oH)) mu'wIj 'oH pagh clue vIghaj. vay' onlibe, 'ach yhe wa' poH uTerus ngaQ account jatlh QaH. DaH totally screwed im 'e' app jom. Sumqu' 'ej je lo' phone Qap email. tablet vIghaj qaStaHvIS juH waw' rap account. tu'lu' mu'wIj extract vo' 'oH mIw 'op? samsung gingernut os iirc. Qo'noS ghIlDeSten vay' QaH. Hogh veb cha' rIn leng wej vavDajvaD 'ej, chu'wI' moj montrer.

LunarMist

well I'm glad you're having fun, but I'm freaking out.

LunarMist

Typically the information that an Android phone wants after a reset is for your e-mail/password.

I don't know either one of those. I haven't needed to do anything since 2011.
I'm still not sure what caused it. The phone was working fine all these years. Somehow I think it is a work-related rather than a hardware issue, but who knows. Either way, what if it flakes out again?

ddrueding

Fixture
You don't know your regular e-mail address and password? Are you sure?

If the account was a Google account most of your stuff is backed up in their servers anyway.

LunarMist

You don't know your regular e-mail address and password? Are you sure?

If the account was a Google account most of your stuff is backed up in their servers anyway.

I think the backup was off. I have about 25 e-mail accounts on 5-6 domains, but only can access some of them.
It's all too complicated and I'm in a lot of pain tonight. Maybe I should buy a Mac phone, not that it would be much different.

LunarMist

This part wouldn't be any different. If you want to check e-mail on a device, you need to know the username and password for your e-mail.

Perhaps consolidating all your delivery mechanisms might help? http://lifehacker.com/376367/consolidate-multiple-email-addresses-with-gmail

More Google is the last thing I want in this universe. Fortunately I was able to find the e-mail address that was listed and then reset the password. I was on travel at the time and needed a different one for that region. Many of the apps are not listed and the configurations can't be restored. Most of the new apps are much worse than they were, especially the Company app that I think may have wiped everything. There ought to be a way to capture the phone as it is, such as with Ghost on a PC, and store that on some media.

Mercutio

Doing so in such a way that includes applications and all secured data requires root access to the device. It's definitely possible, but generally looked askance by handset manufacturers and service providers.

LunarMist

Doing so in such a way that includes applications and all secured data requires root access to the device. It's definitely possible, but generally looked askance by handset manufacturers and service providers.

Well, I'm sure those f*ckers want to make us pay up every month, but at least there are still some options for PCs.
I assume in a few years the OS/apps will make us slaves to the MS or Apples of the world.

Mercutio

Surprisingly, the biggest problem is just that userland tools on Android aren't allowed to access certain application settings for security reasons. You can get calendars and messages, but you're not going to be able to grab your savegame on Bubble Shooter or saved login credentials for the Kindle app. And there are some applications that likewise can't be accessed to copy without root access.
Non-root backup on Android is just a weirdly immature area. If you have root, it's no problem at all.

LunarMist

If I buy another phone can this one be reused, assuming the same carrier?