Prepaid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Are the prepadi funereals any good? Is it easier on the ancestiors or just another ripooff?

ddrueding

Fixture
Typically, I feel that nitche products cost a premium, and paying a premium when it isn't necessary is silly.

State your wishes in your will, and set aside the rescources to carry them out. No burden on your family at all.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I wouldn't pre-pay for a funeral. I would, however, consider pre-buying my burial plot if I was going to be buried. Or mausoleum space for an urn if being cremated. But even then only under certain circumstances, like being close to other deceased family members or, perhaps, if I knew my time was near.

If I figured death was still some years off I wouldn't do anything; other life decisions (relocation, death of a loved one, diovorce, etc.) may impact my wishes.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Generally, your ancestors don't care a lot about your funeral, as they are already dead. It isn't always that way, but, as a general case, yes.

Your decendants are far more likely to care, as your next of kin will be responsible for your funeral and burial expenses.

There's nothing wrong with pre-paid funerals, but you certainly need to do your homework, as you won't be there to check on it. Funerals can be expensive affairs, and, if you want yours to be a certain way, you have to plan it. Also keep in mind that pre-paid funerals can be put on a payment plan.

While you certainly can attempt to make your wishes known and set aside money, you cannot be absolutely sure that those who are carrying those wishes out are really doing what you want. You also cannot be sure that you've left enough money for the purpose.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Draw up a will. Specify an executor to handle your wishes as specified in the will. That person should be a family member or close friend, but FAIK you could instead hire a lawyer or other professional to handle your post-mortem affairs, including any funeral arrangements you prefer.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Mybe nobodt really should care after the Christnas hodays. They can let my corspe rot.

ddrueding

Fixture
If you have no one who would particulary care what happens to you, I wouldn't worry about it that much. I know I don't really care what happens to this body after I'm done with it. What's your timeframe?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
This subject is getting morbid.

Prepaid funerals -- Yuk. How do you know when and where you will die? You could be in traveling or you may move and then your investment goes out the window. If you are really concerned about such: State your wishes in your will or as an attached document to your will and buy some life insurance that will cover all your burial expenses.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Do we have reason to be concerned?

You still have your sister, right? I don't know about parents or other family members, but it seems like those are the people whom you should invite to discuss your post-mortality with.

Pre-paid does seem like a good idea to me; you can make better and more rational decisions about your arrangements while you are alive than having someone else do it while they are grieving.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
I dont know, but it is getteing worse. The thinkg is that I dont; like the doctos and all the medical tesats in the hosptital.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Nobody likes doctors (Adcadet excepted, of course) and hospitals and medical tests, but they have to be put up with so we can get well. Clench your teeth, get things taken care of and get away from doctors and hospitals and medical tests. Sometimes what seems really bad to us lay people is an easily cured affliction. Timely attention is the key.

Adcadet, pipe-in, will ya?

LOST6200

Storage is cool
What hapopens to teh website? in the fineprint is mentions something about being avaible for contacto within 5 business days. Not likely, but nabe that would happen as well.

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
A Marine In Hell:

A Marine dies in combat and wakes up to find he is in Hell. He's really depressed as he stands in the processing line waiting to talk to an admittance counselor. He thinks to himself: I know I lead a wild life but, hell, I'm a Marine. We're expected to live wild lives. I wasn't that bad. I never thought it would come to this."

Looking up he sees that it is his turn to be processed into Hell. With fear and heavy heart, he walks up to the counselor...

• Counselor: What's the problem, you look depressed?

Marine: Well, what do you think? I'm in Hell!

Counselor: Hell's not so bad. We actually have a lot of fun here. Do you like to drink?

Marine: Of course I do. I'm a Marine.

Counselor: Well then, you are going to love Mondays, On Mondays we drink up a storm. You can have whiskey, rum, tequila, beer, whatever you want and as much you want. We party all night long. You'll love Mondays. Do you smoke?

Marine: Yes, as a matter of fact I do.

Counselor: You are going to love Tuesdays. Tuesday is smoke day. You get to smoke the finest cigars and best cigarettes available anywhere. And you smoke to your heart's desire without worrying about cancer because you are already dead! Is that great or what? You are going to love Tuesdays. Do you like to fight?

Marine: Of course I do. I'm a Marine!

Counselor: You are going to love Wednesdays. That's Fighting Day. We challenge each other to fights to see who's the toughest in Hell. You don't have to worry about getting hurt or killed, because you're already dead. You are going to love Wednesdays. Do you gamble?

Marine: Show me a Marine who doesn't!

Counselor: You are going to love Thursdays, because we gamble all day and night. Black jack, craps, poker, slots, horse races, everything! You are going to love Thursdays. Are you gay?

Marine: Of course, not! I'm a Marine!

Counselor: Oh (grimaces)... then you're going to hate Fridays.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Huh? I am not the homosexoul or a amrine. Both are equllay horrifffic.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
I dont have anything aginst eh marines or t5he homosexulas, I just would raqther die than be either. And being sdodomized by the marines as in Gar'ys joke is the horrifiec part.

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
hk.jpg
  • Great! Now, where's the rest of him?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I think cremation is a good thing personally.

Anyways, some food for thought:

Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances.
--- Victor Frankl

LOST6200

Storage is cool
CityK said:
I think cremation is a good thing personally.

Anyways, some food for thought:

Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances.
--- Victor Frankl

Im way t o fycking tiried to understand the last one. WAs thast guy a nureologist or just a phoiliospher? i think the sleep deprivatin affects teh attitudes deplettion the synapses balcne of the trsadnsmitters. ;)

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Now, now.

There's nothing horrific about being a homosexual.

Asking someone of the same sex to function as an emotional equivalent to the opposite sex is an exercise in futility.
Emotional self-destruction sounds pretty horrific to me.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Howell said:
Asking someone of the same sex to function as an emotional equivalent to the opposite sex is an exercise in futility.
OTOH, a gay person can empathize a whole heck of a lot easier as they don't have to imagine their partner's physiology. And I've heard before that homosexual relationships tend to be a lot more stable. Maybe what's needed is someone to function as the emotional equivalent of the same sex, not the other.

Mercutio

Howell said:

Someone who writes things like that obviously hasn't spent any time getting to know actual gay people.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
i think the sleep deprivatin affects teh attitudes deplettion the synapses balcne of the trsadnsmitters. ;)
Yes, I believe it does affect neurotransmitters and synaptic response.

LOST6200 said:
WAs thast guy a nureologist or just a phoiliospher?
A bit of both it seems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_E._Frankl

Im way t o fycking tiried to understand the last one
I can't claim to know much about the man, as I've never read anything he wrote other then snippets printed here and there. Nonetheless, I like basis of the quotation I mentioned above.

The point of posting that - knowing that you've gone through and are going through a tough time - was just that it provides some food for thought and may help, as Frankl was certainly (unfortunately) no stranger to what it means to suffer.

Interesting...I never liked the story of Job (I'm not even religious), but perhaps I've gained some new perspective on that story.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Howell said:

Someone who writes things like that obviously hasn't spent any time getting to know actual gay people.

On the contrary, to dismiss my statements out of hand means you've never considered yourself a homosexual or known someone else who once was.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Fushigi said:
Howell said:
OTOH, a gay person can empathize a whole heck of a lot easier as they don't have to imagine their partner's physiology. And I've heard before that homosexual relationships tend to be a lot more stable. Maybe what's needed is someone to function as the emotional equivalent of the same sex, not the other.

I'll take emotional intimacy over eympathy over balding and an enlarged prostate any day. Sympathy can be better than empathy at times.

And by stable you mean what?

Researchers found that even among stable homosexual partnerships, men have an average of eight partners per year outside their "monogamous" relationship.

You CAN have deep emotional relationships with people of the same sex. These relationships are called friendships. I think society today doesn't recognize the possibility of deep same-sex frienships and assumes that these relationships must be homosexual. That if I feel this way toward a guy I must be homosexual. Relationships with the opposite sex have a very different chemistry.

Mercutio

Apologies to Lost6200 for the threadjack...

Howell said:
On the contrary, to dismiss my statements out of hand means you've never considered yourself a homosexual or known someone else who once was.

Excuse me? I am not the person making ignorant and highly prejudicial statements about gay people.

Every single person I socialize with by choice outside of my work - every one - is gay, bisexual or transgendered (and sometimes two out of three). I have not observed any of those people asking their partner to fulfill the "the emotional equivalent of the opposite sex", ever.
Howell, I don't care what your church teaches, or what weirdo beliefs you might have on the subject, a person can be happy and well adjusted and still be gay, and a straight person in a devoted relationship can still experience "emotional self destruction". If you spent any time with anyone whose sexuality is different from yours, perhaps you could see that.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Apologies to Lost6200 for the threadjack...

Howell said:

Excuse me? I am not the person making ignorant and highly prejudicial statements about gay people.

Every single person I socialize with by choice outside of my work - every one - is gay, bisexual or transgendered (and sometimes two out of three). I have not observed any of those people asking their partner to fulfill the "the emotional equivalent of the opposite sex", ever.
Howell, I don't care what your church teaches, or what weirdo beliefs you might have on the subject, a person can be happy and well adjusted and still be gay, and a straight person in a devoted relationship can still experience "emotional self destruction". If you spent any time with anyone whose sexuality is different from yours, perhaps you could see that.

You calling me ignorant an prejudicial is comical. You make so many assumptions about me personally as to make it funny. The classic ad hominem. If you wish to truely understand the range of opinion in this area you should consider both diversifying and widening the sample size. Your myopia is excruciating. You don't have to believe me psersonally; look at the research.

People change and grow their whole lives. Some decide they want to be gay and some decide they don't anymore. Maybe you should find out why.

I really only want people to be as happy as they can be and to reach their potential.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Jeeze, just want to handle detah in peace. Doug, canm you please lock this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.