PSEXEC

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
To upgrade the virus definitions on our computers around the plant, I use PSEXEC. [ none of our computers are connected to the internet ]
The script is simple [ psexec.exe -h \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\ -u administrator -p xxxxxx -c norton64.exe /q ]. This script is modified to push out MS Security Essentials and norton32 also. I have been running this as a batch file for 8-9 years without a problem. The script is run from a Windows 7 Pro computer to a mix of XP, Win 7, Server 2003, and Server 2008 computers. Never had a problem until last week. Now, PSEXEC hangs on Win 7 computers.
PSEXEC connects to the Win 7 computer, loads the 'norton64.exe' file, then hangs. By adding the '-I' [ interactive ] switch to PSEXEC I found a window open on the receiving computer that had a title of 'Self extracting RAR file' and a notification that the file [ norton64.exe ] could not be extracted. Trying to manually extract the file from inside [ pressed the 'extract' button ] that window didn't work either. But, if I manually copy the 'norton64.exe' file to the computer and double click on it, it runs fine and installs the virus definitions.
I have upgraded PSEXEC, added the -h switch [ which is supposed to make PSEXEC work with Windows 7 ], disabled UAC on the receiving computer, and spent hours on Google looking for answers.
Any ideas???

Thanks

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
When you run it manually and it works, are you using the same account that you use with psexec?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
When you run it manually and it works, are you using the same account that you use with psexec?

Yes, both the sending and receiving computers are logged into as administrators. Running the file manually is done as administrator.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
It appears Windows won't let the virus update file run in 'System32'. This is where 'PSEXEC' copies the file to and then executes it.
I wrote a small script on the computer that needs the virus update to copy the update to 'System32' and then execute it without using PSEXEC. No Go.
Copying the file to a folder under 'C:\' and it works fine.
It would be interesting to know what changed in the last few weeks.