pureSilicon 1TB 2.5" drive

ddrueding

Fixture
Put that in your laptop and smoke it ;)

Very cool. I was just considering installing a pair of 1TB disks in my workstation for additional space, I think I can wait a while....

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak

Thickness to be announced...

remember the earlier large capacity 2.5in notebook drives would only fit in older/thicker notebooks, thicker than now standard 9.5mm. Can't tell from the image in jtr's link---and that's probably not the target market.

pureSilicon also claims that they have benchmarked these drives at speeds approaching the maximum bus speed of SATA II (300 MB/s).
This from a company that says this on their site in spec's for the rugged max capacity 64GB Renegade SSD 2.5in 9.5mm SATA drive...300MB/s bus, :

STR R:45MB/s W: 45MB/s Random W: 8MB/s...really slow!

So how are they getting this huge capacity/performance increase in the new drive. I'm skeptical.

http://www.puresi.com/

I hardly believe some small, relatively unknown company is pulling a rabbit out of their hat, as all the big players in the market control the chips/density that smaller co like pureSilicon have access to. Toshiba has announced a 512GB SSD 2.5in form factor, which is rumored to be priced around $1.5k. No way this 1TB SSD is going to come in at any thing less than $2k, if not many times that. World is in a recession that only gets worse...how many $8k Nikon D3x are going to sell in a very soft market?

Question is when will there be an affordable (read within 2-3x cost of HD) SSD of comparable capacity to HD's? Market for $2k notebook drives is very small.

All well and good to have 100TB SDD 2.5in drive, if only multimillionaire/large corporations can afford them.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't doubt that there will be 1TB 2.5" drives in 2009, but there will very likely be better mainstream alternatives than that specialized supplier.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Probably cost as much as a Lambo car :)

http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=14515

Asus's website says:

The VX5 is equipped with currently the world’s largest density Solid State Drive standing at 1TB.

This early CeBit attendee is implying dual drive for 1TB total. Now the question is, if dual drive means 2x 500GB 7.2k HDD, or could you put 2x 1TB SSD's in there for freakin 2TB of storage :bstd: :twistd:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/asus-lamborghini-vx5-hands-on-and-video

I do note the leather palm rests have *stitching* along the edges of either side next to the trackpad. With my greasy rough, manly hands, that stitching would wear out long before the laptop...guess if you could afford this one, you could easily buy a replacement/newer model when that happens :D

Unless these thick monsters have mega turbo fans inside, I'll bet they could fry Merc testicles faster than the new speed-bumped MacBook Pros :p