RAID SSD controller?

rkruz

What is this storage?
Im looking at packaging Solid State Drives into a RAID array for write speed.

Who makes these sorts of controllers?

thank you

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Is that your one review under Sam1961 on the egg?

My advice is skip the RAID for SSD, they are more than fine for a single user system.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Would you give me a guess on what kind of interface this raid card is going to be used for?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'm using the force....

It tells me PCI-X????????????????????????????

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I really must be missing something! Santilli, why are you busy promoting raid controllers for archaic buses for a SSD application? Don't you realize that old cards won't have been designed for the throughput that is so desirable with an SSD?

Software raid! or at least a very modern raid card using the PCI express bus

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I really must be missing something! Santilli, why are you busy promoting raid controllers for archaic buses for a SSD application? Don't you realize that old cards won't have been designed for the throughput that is so desirable with an SSD?

Very curious. A sockpuppet?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie

He never mentioned what interface he was going to use for this setup.

I agree, by the way.

LunarMist

8i = eight internal ports. I thought you were familiar with SAS. They are SFF ports. The cables are not included.

Handruin

Administrator
Looks like a decent number of ports for the money. Greg, it uses the SFF-8087 cable to be more specific. You can then buy a SFF-8087 to SAS which would be a 1 to 4 breakout cable. This style is pretty handy especially if you decide to go with a case that handles SFF-8087 on the backplane...then you only need to run two cables to connect 8 drives on the backplane.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Sounds good, if it works.
One of the things I didn't like about the SCA 'backplane' from Supermicro was that each drive required it's own SATA cable. Not a 'backplane', at least to me, if that's the case(excuse the pun;-)

How much are the cables?

LunarMist

I ordered the controller and 2 Adaptec SFF-8087 to 4xSAS/SATA cables. I hope it works in the old computer.

LunarMist

Looks like a decent number of ports for the money. Greg, it uses the SFF-8087 cable to be more specific. You can then buy a SFF-8087 to SAS which would be a 1 to 4 breakout cable. This style is pretty handy especially if you decide to go with a case that handles SFF-8087 on the backplane...then you only need to run two cables to connect 8 drives on the backplane.

Obviously the controller is relatively cheap because it is not built for RAID 5 or 6. However, I will use it for individual drives or maybe a pair of SSDs in RAID 0.

I did not investigate yet, but there should be a passthrough adapter to use 4 drives in an external enclosure with a single cable of some sort.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
LM
Going to be intresting to see if the chipsets allow you anywhere near what the controller and drives are going to be capable of.

LunarMist

Presumably it is capable of SATA 6Gps as advertized, though I have no such devices. I don't know the limitations of the motherboard. PCIe 8x should be fast enough.

LunarMist

Controller delivery was on Monday. Cables are still MIA. What kind of shipping plan is that?

LunarMist

The outer box was totally smashed, almost half of the size. WTF is up with the USP?

LunarMist

Argh. I should have purchased one of the 1m SFF to SATA cords.

LunarMist

Damn, the heatsink on the chip is hot enough to burn the small toe!

LunarMist

I'm wondering if it is possible to boot off the card. The drives are not clear in the BIOS.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Who, except for an orang-outan, probes electronic parts' temperature with his toe?

You shouldn't take that "Hairy Aussie" title THAT seriously, you know.

Last edited: