RealVNC & Windows 7

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Does anybody know of a work-around the get RealVNC to work on Windows 7?

Thanks.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
No, that's just the first one to roll off my keyboard.

You're talking about the issues with UAC and VNC right, Bozo?

Mercutio

I know that Crossloop.com's underlying viewer switched from RealVNC to UltraVNC because UltraVNC doesn't automatically disconnect remote viewers during UAC prompts. I'm not sure what's different about RealVNC that it doesn't behave the same way.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've seen RealVNC on several computers, but I've never taken time to play with it. If you want to share the content of a folder in, let say, your home computer, but access it from a different building or from your office, would that be the way to go?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I've seen RealVNC on several computers, but I've never taken time to play with it. If you want to share the content of a folder in, let say, your home computer, but access it from a different building or from your office, would that be the way to go?

IIRC, RealVNC only handles desktop sharing. For file sharing you need something else.

Mercutio

The dead-simple way to set up file sharing over a VPN is using LogMeIn Hamachi. You manage everything from the LogMeIn web site and it keeps users from having to muck around with external firewall configs and the like. Stuff just works.

Sol

Storage is cool
DropBox would be another option for file sharing, if the directory isn't too big, although with the security problems they've had I wouldn't want to use it for anything too sensitive. (Which is a shame since it is nice, dead easy, and wouldn't require you to leave the other machine on.)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Is there a data amount restriction with LogMeIn? Like : can't share more than 100MB or can't transfer more than 200MB a month?

Mercutio

Is there a data amount restriction with LogMeIn? Like : can't share more than 100MB or can't transfer more than 200MB a month?

Not through Hamachi.

Technically, Hamachi is not for commercial use. I make my work pay for an account for me and kind of use it wherever I want.