Yes, no?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
How about a recommendations forum? Then you could have a separate discussion for each specific item or service, such as video cards, ATX motherboards, micro ATX motherboards, keyboards, laptops, digital cameras, ISP, etc. That way if someone wanted advice about finding a good piece of hardware, they'd know exactly where to start.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Multiforumitis is a terrible disease to inflict on a website. I like the idea, but there are, if anything, too many different fora here already. It's a PITA having to check lots of different pages looking to see what's new and interesting since the last time you were here. Hell, if it was up to me, I'd think about rolling tech support into computers.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I'd say leave it in Computers or just expand the title of the Toollbox Reference section to be 'Toolbox & Recommendations' or 'Preferred software & hardware' or somesuch.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It might make more sense to simply keep track of useful "recommendation" threads, rather than making a completely new forum.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't mind if it is renamed. I could change all the existing toolbox items so that the thread title has [toolbox] in the name. That might help people find the older posts.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Traffic is already too low in some forums so I vote not to create any more.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm resurecting this for i since I didn't follow up on this (sorry). I like sech's idea, and I'd like to add to it by creating a single thread under the toolbox. This thread will be made a sticky so it's always on top (inside the toolbox). We can then post reference links to the given topics like "DVD reocmmendations" or SATA cards...etc and outline the details in a post.

Thoughts on this solution?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Your idea is sound, Doug. Please do it.

And therefore move i's SATA thread into Computers?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I had a vision once ... but it never worked out they way I would have wanted it to have. But that's okay - I don't have much use these days for the toolbox section anyways as
  • its Windows centric. This is, of course, simply a reflection of our user base, and not a criticism. I, however, don't care too much about Windows anymore
  • what tools I need to use in Windows I already know. Further, I'm making no further effort, or as minimal as possible, of directing energy into the Windows environment ... need for this OS has run its course and is fading fast for me

I will, however, make comment that a sticky is only successful if it is concise and precise. Some examples of an excellent use of stickimanship (and which at the same time also present an educational opportunity on a completely different subject):
    Mpeg 4 FAQ
    Mpeg4 ASP info
    Mpeg4 AVC info

And when it comes to stickies, I most certainly subscribe to this very same non-discussion school of thought.

But hey, that's just me. Carry on.

What, you're still here? :D