Remote Control Aircraft

ddrueding

Fixture
Anyone else play with this stuff? I'm particularly interested in the following aspects:

Drone (GPS, waypoint guided, etc)
FPV (flying with live video transmitted from the aircraft)
Multi-Rotor (no flaps or ailerons, just motors and computers)

Starting to buy stuff and watch videos (flitetest.com, etc)

Of course, I don't actually know anyone that does these things, so I will be "winging it" (sorry for the pun)

Any interest?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Anthony of Opie & Anthony on XM has one with the works and posts videos of them. I see him answer questions on them now and again and sounds like he has GPS and definitely does them with video. Sounds like an interesting hobby.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
If I was in a warmer climate or near something interesting I might do something like this. I have thought about getting into model airplanes now and again. As it is I have trouble imagining what I would do with it.

Stereodude

Not really a
I have a few small indoor helicopters that I play with at work and am noodling over the idea of getting a small quadcopter, like the Heli-Max 1SQ, but that's about as far as I plan to get into it. No planes.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've had small helicopters for a while, and I even had a 450 full-aero helicopter that I was never able to keep off the ground for more than a minute before crashing.

Then I decided to actually get my pilot's license. After passing a medical and logging 20+ hours, my wife got pregnant. I'll get back to that later (20+ years later) ;)

But really, I don't care about being in the plane, and I don't care about being a good pilot. I want to be able to see and take pictures of things from angles and altitudes otherwise impossible. This has led me to believe that self-piloting drones are the way to go. Both a fixed-wing (for distance and speed) and a quad/hexacopter as a stationary camera platform.

I've already picked up a really nice 2.4GHz transmitter/receiver (Futaba 10-channel), goggles (FatShark with head tracking), POV camera (two gyros, pan and tilt), 600mW 5.8GHz video transmitter, diversity receiver (will switch between an omni and direction antenna based on signal strength), some circular-polarized antenna, batteries and charger (Turnigy Fatboy 8).

Just yesterday I ordered a Radian motorglider and plan to get the APM 2.5+ with GPS upgrade to "drone" it.

After that I plan to build an H-quad with a larger POV mount for my Canon S95 or one of my GoPros. Even playing with it being a 2-person rig, one for flying (sd camera and aircraft controls) and one for photography (HD video/stills, separate pan/tilt assembly)

ddrueding

Fixture
I've been running the Futaba controller with my computer using the simulator called Aerofly Professional Deluxe. I still can't fly from an on-the-ground perspective, but FPV is no problem.

Once I bring my solder station home I can make the harness to charge the batteries and test the FPV camera and google setup.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
It's a hobby I'm interested but not in the cards for me for some time.

I'll just have to continue to live vicariously through you guys.

ddrueding

Fixture
Got the Radian in the air today, I really suck. Even after some practice on a simulator with my controller, I was having a hard time while it was coming towards me (right/left reversed). I'd made a mistake when I ordered the video transmitter/receiver. Even though they are both 5.8GHz they are from different manufacturers and use different channels. I can't fly FPV until the new receiver arrives. Everything ships from China and takes 1 week or more to arrive, even common stuff ordered via Amazon.

Anyway, confirmed that the aircraft works, time to get the APM 2.5+ with GPS and start the automation!

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm mostly interested in defense from the remote planes. What are the options if the Chinese planes are spying on you from overhead?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
This is definitely a hobby I would get into if I had more money and more open areas nearby.

Don't try that! If the authorities see anything unidentified in New York's sky, they'll send a pair of F-22 to blast it and they'll throw its owner in jail for the rest of his life. Not a hobby for you.

ddrueding

Fixture
Actually, a number of years ago (but after 9/11) a guy was flying fpv around the Brooklyn Bridge. The police did stop by, but just watched for a while and left.

ddrueding

Fixture
Took the plane to work to try it in some more open spaces. Worked great until it didn't.

Did a quick wing-over to set up for a high-speed pass overhead. In the dive the wings got loose and I lost control. Straight into the ground, dug a 4" hole, and the wing spar tore out the fuselage between the wing root and the canopy. Also lost a prop.

Spare props I already have, need to investigate what glues work for that kind of foam (looks like superglue is safe for Z-Foam).

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm not so worried about the Chinese aircraft, they aren't likely to arrest me for thought crimes, etc. Those would be the American drones.

ddrueding

Fixture
Getting a package from a company with a name like "3D Robotics" is just neat.

Currently have the ArduPilotMega connected to my computer via 915MHz, 57.6kbps serial link. Receiving telemetry data in real time from the uBlox GPS receiver, on-board compass, barometric altimeter, and accelerometers/gyros. It is even feeding me voltage information from my battery.

The software is open-source, and will run even without any hardware. If you want you can download it here and see what kind of potential it has.

The airframe itself needs a little repair after today's flights; any time I break the foam I lay in some carbon fiber rod after hot-gluing the break. It will never break there again ;)

I don't have the servo extension cables to put the APM in between the radio and servos yet, but I will be pulling the telemetry on flights tomorrow. Should be fun!

Stereodude

Not really a
Bah, that'll buff right out!

FWIW, I can't fly my little 1SQ quad to save my life.

And, I've been feeling the compulsion to buy a 1/10th - 1/8th 4x4 truck or buggy of some sort over the last few days.

ddrueding

Fixture
Funny enough all that happened was I snapped one of the pins that holds the folding prop. Of course, I couldn't find the pin, and a replacement won't be here til Friday. But the pitot airspeed module arrived today.

ddrueding

Fixture
Building an H-Quad:

Just placed an order from DragonPlate (manufacturer of structural carbon fiber)

4x Braided Carbon Fiber Square Tubing ~ 0.75" x 0.75" x 24" (.050" Wall)
2x Solid Carbon Fiber Sheet ~ 1/32" x 6" x 24"

Last night I ordered 4x Hacker A20-20L brushless motors, 4x Hacker X20 Pro ESCs and a bunch of CW&CCW APC 11x4.7SF props

Already have the ArduPilot Mega 2.5+, uBlox LEA-6 GPS, 915MHz telemetry downlink, a Turnigy 5Ah 20C 3-cell (11.1v) battery, and the Futaba 10C transmitter/receiver set.

I suspect that the battery will be about 75% of the total weight before any kind of additional payload (cameras, FPV, etc). Should be a high-performance/long range monster.

ddrueding

Fixture
What's the range on your Futaba 10C?

I haven't tested it, but according to most reports, 3-5 miles. Fortunatly I'll be running autonomously most of the time, so signal strength doesn't matter.

The link that I care about most is the telemetry link (915MHz) that should be good for 5 miles. Next is video (5.8GHz, 600mA) that should last 10. And then direct receiver control using 2.4GHz.

There is a cellular card for sale that is able to handle telemetry over cellular links. Not sure if I'm going to need that one.

I'd consider telemetry to be the most important link; where it is, what it is doing, and the ability to tell it to come back.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Nope. I don't plan on putting explosives on-board (unless you are speaking of the LiPo?). And I don't have enough money in it to worry about my losses yet.

I think he was referring to liability insurance in the case where your "flying bomb" kills someone.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yeah, I'm not that paranoid or reckless yet. Still operating over open fields in private property where I've received permission. Once I've logged more hours and have a better reliability record I'd feel comfortable operating elsewhere.