Remote Desktop

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I remote desktop to my home computer from work to do various things. When I login the system starts a new session for that user even if a current session has already started for the same user. Is there a way to force it to use the current session rather than relogging in?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It's probably worth nothing that the machine I am connecting to is running Windows 2003 Server. The machine I am connecting from is XP.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you mean by "current session", the desktop you left open on the console, no, there isn't. It's a different device to the RDP server. You can look at that device through Remote Assistance, but that requires interaction at the console so it's not a good option either.

If you leave an RDP session without logging out of it, you should be able to reconnect to it by supplying the same login credentials.

If you want to look at the console session, you need a different program to do that: GotoMyPC.com, PC Anywhere or TightVNC will all give you that capability.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
When I connect to my work computer from home through remote desktop I interact with the session that I left open on that console. How is that any different?

Mercutio

You can install all the server mmcs on lesser versions of Windows. There's a big package of them in the server resource kits.

Mercutio

I distinctly recall reading in a published-by-Microsoft Server 2000 study guide that console access from Terminal Services was not possible.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Just tested it out at work and it seems to work perfectly. Why doesn't the Remote Desktop Connection interface have an option for this? It seems like it would be the default behavior most people would want.

Mercutio

It's not what remote desktop is designed for.

RDP essentially exists as an analog for Mainframe/Terminal operations. It's made so that hordes of peons can connect on computers too stupid to play solitaire on their own can connect to a single data entry application, or something similar to that. That it can display a useful windows interface is kind of a side effect of that.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
It's not what remote desktop is designed for.

RDP essentially exists as an analog for Mainframe/Terminal operations. It's made so that hordes of peons can connect on computers too stupid to play solitaire on their own can connect to a single data entry application, or something similar to that. That it can display a useful windows interface is kind of a side effect of that.

And costs a bunch of money in TS cals. The fact that you get to use TS in administration mode (maximum 2 concurrent connections) is merely bonus.