rsync on Windows

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'd like to use rsync to sync directories between two locally mounted drives on Windows. This is very easy to setup with rsync on *nix.

Code:
rsync -r -t -v --delete -l -s /home/user/documents /media/backup

I installed DeltaCopy, which purports to be a wrapper around rsync for Windows. However, I can see absolutely no way to do what I want. It wants me to either setup a server, which I don't want. Or to setup a client profile which points to a server by hostname or IP. Is there anyway to use rsync on Windows the way I do on Linux?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I'm sure it's been mentioned before. But the closest windows GUI equivalent that I've found is SyncBack Freeware

Microsoft's SyncToy has been recommended to me as well. My use if it has been pretty limited though.

Tannin would probably recommend something old school like xcopy or xxcopy or xxx.... oh...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
xcopy /h/i/c/k/e/r/y/d updates all files that are newer on the source directory than the destination.

I can do the same thing in powershell but my code looks retarded because I don't know it very well.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I'd like to use rsync to sync directories between two locally mounted drives on Windows. This is very easy to setup with rsync on *nix.

Code:
rsync -r -t -v --delete -l -s /home/user/documents /media/backup
I installed DeltaCopy, which purports to be a wrapper around rsync for Windows. However, I can see absolutely no way to do what I want. It wants me to either setup a server, which I don't want. Or to setup a client profile which points to a server by hostname or IP. Is there anyway to use rsync on Windows the way I do on Linux?

I think DeltaCopy's "Server" and "Client" is just the terms they use to make the concepts more accessible to Windows users. They are a bit "slow" after all ;)

Could be wrong about that though--about DeltaCopy's doco that is :D

My understanding is that the Server is the source and Client is the target. I've got a DeltaCopy Server running at the moment as a service and it's all of 252KB. Considering the F@H core A5 is running on the same box and consuming 962 512KB of memory, I can live with that :)