Same Problem 3rd Time Straight

Piyono

Storage is cool
A friend of mine brought me his computer a few months ago for repair, complaining that it was crashing every time he used firefox. I gave it the usual once-over and ran my usual suite of utilities but found nothing suspicious. Then he booted it up and got the dreaded Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM at the dos prompt.

Rather than go through the tedious process of restoring the registry I went decided to backup/reformat/reinstall. Also tedious but more familiar.
A few days later he called me up and reported the same symptoms and then, again, a few days later, the same form of death. Once more I resurrected his machine and sent him on his way.

A couple of weeks later the same sequence repeated itself. I told him that, at this point, it was looking to me like some sort of hardware problem. A mysterious one, too, because I tested his RAM and hard drive, which passed every test I threw at them.

His power supply sounds like a lawnmower. I tested it quickly with one of those pocket PSU testers but all the voltages seemed stable for the few minutes I was monitoring it. Still, maybe it's defective, intermittently spiking or sagging. I suggested he take it back to the guy who built it and get parts replaced on warranty if that was still possible. His guy refused to replace any parts but he tested all the components and found nothing amiss.

So now this wretched box is on my desk again (I'm a good friend. And we barter hour-for-hour of service. And he's a massage therapist. And I have 5 hours of shiatsu coming my way).

Does anyone have any speculations, theories or theories on what might be causing this machine to misbehave?

I sure don't.

ddrueding

Fixture
Your PSU guess is a good one. Or possibly bad power going into the unit, does he have a UPS? What about user error? If he is doing hard power-downs it can cause that issue as well.

Piyono

Storage is cool
I, too, suspected the power at the wall so I hooked my Fluke 179 into the outlet feeding the computer and let it sit there in min/max hold mode for about an hour. No serious spikes or dips occured during this time.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Something - hardware like that loud PSU or malware he's reloading by repeatedly visiting an infected site - is corrupting his registry. The MS solution to getting the registry back.

Piyono

Storage is cool
Fugs, that page and I have become well acquainted over the years.
The problem is that the registry keeps becoming corrupt.

Piyono

Storage is cool
If I find myself with a spare PSU I will, of course, swap it for his. Until then I'm wondering how many more times I'm willing to run this course.

Piyono

Storage is cool
On a whim I ran Memtest86+ from the Ubuntu 9.1 CD and lo! Errors aplenty right off the bat. I was rather surprised because my last Memtest scan lasted through the night and found nothing. Anyway, the errors were exclusive to one 1GB DIMM which I isolated and removed, leaving a second 1GB DIMM to handle RAM duties.

How to account for the discrepancy between no errors last month and zillions of errors today? Dunno. Could be that the 3V rail is muffed and zapping the RAM, and whereas the errors were subtle before the problem got worse over time.

Merc, good idea. If the problem persists I'll run the mobo on my desk for a while to see if that doesn't solve things.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
You should also help him with a real backup solution that will get him back on his feet quickly. Something like Acronis 2010 home or the Symantec equivalent.