Samsung HM100UI (2.5" 1TB 5400RPM 8MB SATA-II HD)

Stereodude

Not really a
Has anyone played around with one of these?

I bought one last week with the intention to put in a 2.5" eSATA / USB2.0 enclosure after Newegg had 'em for $99 after promo code w/ free shipping. I thought it would be nice to have a portable 1TB HD that doesn't need an AC adapter and isn't handicapped by being USB2.0 only like all the commercial 1TB 2.5" products out there from WD, Seagate, and everyone else (which all lack eSATA). I ruled out the 5200RPM 2.5" 1TB WD since it was an advanced format drive. :bomb:

It arrived Friday and I haven't taken it out of the antistatic bag, but I'm tempted to IOmeter it later this evening. :twistd:

On a side note, I was surprised to find how few 2.5" eSATA / USB2.0 enclosures there are that can accept a 12.5mm thick drive. I only found 3 in my search and one of them isn't even sold in the US. I went with this one.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
eSATA does not carry the power wihout a second connector, so it never was popular for 2.5" enclosures. Now one can just buy a 2.5" USB 3.0 drive.

Stereodude

Not really a
eSATA does not carry the power without a second connector, so it never was popular for 2.5" enclosures. Now one can just buy a 2.5" USB 3.0 drive.
As of now, eSATA is a whole lot more common than USB3.0 on computers. It also doesn't have any performance hit since it is the native interface of the drive. So, the makers can keep the USB3.0 enclosures, I'll take the USB2.0/eSATA enclosures.

I realize it doesn't have power, but it's not that hard to plug in the eSATA cable and then the USB cable for power. But, I guess people would rather be throttled at ~25MB/sec by their USB2.0 interface.

Stereodude

Not really a
ATTO results:
samsunghm100uiatto.png

CougTek

Serial computer killer
That's very good for a 2.5" drive. I don't think the 1TB drive in my Toshiba Canvio would match this, even if I removed it from its USB 2.0 enclosure (it is a 5200rpm drive).

LunarMist

How is that any different from the 2x320GB platter Samsungs a year ago?

LunarMist

I can't find any. Now that I think about it, I have only Seagate and Toshiba 640GB drives.

I will buy one of the 640GB 7200 rpm Samsung drives soon though.

LunarMist

Yeah, that is the one. ;) I thought about ordering more than one, but the 1TB 9.5 mm drives will make it useless.

LunarMist

The specs are good, a little faster than the 640GB drives and about the same as the 750GB drives. Access times are more like 7200 RPM drives. I wonder if there are more bits per track and less tracks.