Samsung Samples 50nm 16Samsung inches closer to making SSDs more mainstream

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
If I could get a drive like this, for about 1/4 the price I would be quite happy. A bit larger would be nice too. It really seems to be taking ages for SSDs to come out.

Handruin

Administrator
I wonder which would be faster. That flash drive you linked claims:
IDE Interface: Typ. 8MB/s in PIO Mode 4; Max 12MB/s in PIO Mode 4;

Seems kinda slow considering how big it is. It would take a long time to fill it up.

I don't know what the NAND would do for performance...hopefully a lot faster if the want to use it for SSD.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I don't know how safe I would feel booting off of a USB thumbdrive for an extended period of time.

Do thumbdrives use algorithms to vary where data is written so that the drive does not die an untimely death?

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Bah, we ned some of them higher pseed flash disks. are teh luitlle bugers 32-bits wide inside or what? Anyway I;d kill one too fast in the excessivge wreads and writes. DEo ytou realy think it will stand up to 50 years of use like a 15K cheetah written throughout?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The Ultra II 8GB card is known to be slow compared to smaller Ultra II cards. Use the Extreme III (20 MB/sec.) or Extreme IV (40 MB/sec.) where faster download speeds are desired.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I wonder when it will become available to normal people? I think I would pay up to $250-300 for that drive. $600 is pretty steep.

ddrueding

Fixture
$600 is not bad. That is cheaper than an iRAM of half it's capacity. Of course, it would be great if they would sell it for less ;) My recent domestic spree has siphoned all the money from my tech fund, but I suspect that this drive or something similar is in my near future.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It has less than half the STR of the original iRAM. :( Whatever happened to the SATA II version of the iRAM?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I don't know how safe I would feel booting off of a USB thumbdrive for an extended period of time.

Do thumbdrives use algorithms to vary where data is written so that the drive does not die an untimely death?
They can indeed -- its called wear leveling, and it can be implemented by either a controler embedded in the device or at the file system level (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_levelling).

dd wrote: (the Corsair's) "speed sucks...but it's better than this. Why?"

I would speculate that the Corsair contains a controller with a bit of embedded SRAM and is implementing some cached reads & writes

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
They should be. I'm going to guess drive interface overhead may raise the seek time to as high as 0.1ms or thereabouts. Which begs the question .. would such a drive include or benefit from onboard cache?