SATA DVD

LOST6200

Storage is cool
I hot a new NEC Sony Opiotrarc S=ATA DVD burner to simplfyng the PC and save a PCI slot. It burncreates the DVDs just fine (approx. 16x) yet sadly the read seped is horrifiyingly slow -- maybe 1-2x. I tried all teh SATa ports on the mothersboards and a few PCi and PCe SATA cards without success. Any ideas, or is the DVDRW too new for the compuiter? Thanks,

ddrueding

Fixture
If it burns at full speed, I don't think the interface is the problem. If the interface were only capable of a lower speed, nothing would be fast.

Can we have some hardware and OS/software information?

Relevant bits:

Motherboard
Any SATA expansion cards used
OS (including SP)
Program used for burning
Size of files read/written (small/large?)
Any programs used for testing

LOST6200

Storage is cool
The motherboards ports are the 975X (ICH7 I think_. Several SATa acrds were attempeted: J-Micron chipsets (PCE), VIA chipest (PCI), and Promise chirpset (PCI). OS in Wni2K. I just tried to copy files from the disc to the HD in teh Windows Expoler. The slow spped (and lack of RPM) was obvious. The same disc of 3x1.45GB flies copied to the HD in 7 minutes with teh old dVD-rw. All dioscs evebn a few years old are the same, so the burning is not the relevatnt.

Last edited:

ddrueding

Fixture
Just to make sure I understand...

You burned a DVD with the SATA burner in your computer and the speed was good. But when you copied files from your DVD to the hard drive the speed was bad?

I'm afraid I haven't used Win2k in a LONG time, so that part is an unknown.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Any files that I tryu to copy from a DVD to the hard dfrive are slow. It deos not matter where or the when the discss were burned. Basuically the disc drive reads slowly when files are copiesd from it. So this is not a common probelm with the Optitriac drives?. I would buy another SATA ooptical drive If I had some confidence it would work.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've purchased a number of SATA optical drives, including several from Optiarc, and haven't had the issues you mention. I'm thinking it is a Win2k issue.

I'm trying to remember if you have to set the DMA mode manually, perhaps it is still in PIO mode?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The other questions I would strive to answer: Does the same behavior occur with commercially produced disks, as well the ones you created? This also could simply be a media issue -- Different media are harder to read. It also could be an error correction issue where new disks are fine, but old scratched up disks need error correction to be read correctly causing severe slow downs. Many questions, no answers: Sorry.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I've purchased a number of SATA optical drives, including several from Optiarc, and haven't had the issues you mention. I'm thinking it is a Win2k issue.

I'm trying to remember if you have to set the DMA mode manually, perhaps it is still in PIO mode?

I believe you do need to set DMA mode. It is done in Device Manager.
Do you have the latest service pack installed?
Have you updated the Intel INF files?
Remember, Win2K was out long before DVDs were popular, let alone SATA.

Bozo :joker:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've used literally dozens of those NEC SATA drives without incident. Are you sure you don't have some marginal media? Win2k has the same fundamental drivers and file-handling characteristics as XP. I sincerely doubt that it is the cause of any problems.

Also, AFAIK, SATA drives don't have PIO modes. The machines I have sitting here with SATA Optical drives certainly don't.

I'll even say that the most recent batch of 18x NEC drives I bought seem to spin up faster than any optical drive I can recall having.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Ok, thanks. Iguess there is is an incomaptibilyt then, not a bad brand of dirve. Its' not worht foxing at this time.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I remember reading that some models/brands of drives have read speed limited to deter ripping. Third party (hacked) firmware usually gets around this limitation. You may want to check out CRFreaks.com.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
It wroks in another comapter, so nothign wrong there. Regadless I'm not keen to waste mor etimes on the proejct.