Scanning to FTP?

ddrueding

Fixture
It turns out that the three big, expensive multifunction copiers we have at the office don't support scanning to network folders, only FTP. I suppose I could set up an FTP server on the file server, with the necessary permissions, and allow it to go that way.

What FTP app would you recommend? The only client will be the copiers, so complex user management isn't necessary. The only destination will be a set of folders on the same machine, and quotas/bandwidth management is a non-issue. These folders don't even have complex permissions, and it will not be open to the internet, so security isn't a big deal. I just want something bulletproof.

Thanks.

Handruin

Administrator
I've read plenty good and experienced mostly good with vsftpd. I think we had a prior thread on this here on SF. I think Cougtek recommended it to me a while ago. I say mostly good because I had some difficulties (my own user error) configuring security.

If that's too complicated, just use IIS's FTP service...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Most consumer NAS devices support access via FTP. FTP is not a complicated thing. You can probably just turn on IIS on one of your file servers and set up a folder that's already being shared through SMB.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I second IIS on windows. In linux there are several good FTP server choices - vsftpd, proftpd, pureftpd.

I've tried ~ 6 FTP servers in windows and have not been happy with any of the free offerings, including filezilla. Of the commercial offerings:

IIS is pretty bulletproof, comes with windows, but lacks features and may have too many licensing restrictions under non-server variants of Windows. Given your requirements, I'd second Merc's recommendation here.

Serve-U is probably the most featureful, but last time I checked it ran under a user account (not a service) which is a pain.

Bulletproof FTP server runs well, but is in the middle ground as far as features are concerned.