Seagate ships 6TB 3.5in drives too

CougTek

Serial computer killer
News source

Seagate quotes sequential transfer rates up to 216MB/s for the new drives, and it says the 6TB model is the fastest offering in its class. The Hitachi Ultrastar He6 is rated for only 177MB/s, lending weight to Seagate's claim. Both drives spin their platters at 7,200 RPM. However, the Seagate packs its bits much more tightly. It has an areal density of 1000 Gb/in², which is nearly double the 544 GB/in² of the He6.

[...]

The Enterprise Capacity family is available in 1-6TB flavors, each of which comes with a massive 128MB DRAM cache. 256-bit AES encryption is also on the menu along with end-to-end data protection and enhanced secure erase functionality. The drives are covered by a five-year warranty, and they're rated for "24/7 workloads of 550TB/yr.

While it looks to be a bit faster on paper, take note that it also consummes around 11W when working, which is substantially more than the ~8W the HGST He6 requires. The unrecoverable error rate is 10e15, just like the HGST He6, which means you should expect one every 167 full drive fill.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I was commenting on the companies track records, not the track records for specific drives.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
OK. Well, I'm getting one of the Seagate 6TB drives for now. We'll see how it goes.

On the box there is mention of 1TB platters. Is that correct? I've never seen a 6-platter normal SATA drive.

LunarMist

Access times are weird. One program indicates 17.8, another 14.9 and another 13.9 ms. What gives?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Probably the effect of cache. Some programs are probably fooled by it because of the algorithm they use.

LunarMist

Probably the effect of cache. Some programs are probably fooled by it because of the algorithm they use.

The 6TB drive seems to be fine in general use though. It is the 7200 RPM variety and runs warm, so I don't know what to back it up with that is not in the airflow. There don't seem to be any 5400 RPM models yet.

The full drive test duration was greater than 9 hours. One of the issues as drives become larger is that it takes longer to fill them. I can imagine a RIAD rebuild would be painful.
I'm surprised that Dave does not have a bunch of them in a huge array of some sort. :)

LunarMist

The drive definitely has extra platters. The side and bottom screw mounting holes near the middle of the drive are missing as there is no space for them.
There is one set of bottom mounting holes that is nearer to the top of the drive.
As a result of the funky screwholes, this drive will not attach with four screws in some enclosures.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I'm surprised that Dave does not have a bunch of them in a huge array of some sort. :)
They are not expensive enough ; he'll buy the HGST He6 instead. Plus, the He6 has a higher geek factor as it is filled with helium.

I bet Mercutio would have a greater interest in 6TB drives, provided they become less expensive. There's only so many 4TB drives you can fill an appartment with.

One could buy a Storinator and fill it with 6TB drives. 270TB of raw storage. Around 42,000$ too. I'd take two for redundancy.

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't have any need for more storage at the moment. The (4x) 8x4TB arrays I built some years ago is plenty for my home and work needs at this point. I now have them all set to store a complete copy of everything (work and home) and they are located at 3 different sites in two different counties. Probably secure enough.

LunarMist

The drive definitely has extra platters. The side and bottom screw mounting holes near the middle of the drive are missing as there is no space for them.
There is one set of bottom mounting holes that is nearer to the top of the drive.
As a result of the funky screwholes, this drive will not attach with four screws in some enclosures.

You can see the problem here.

LunarMist

Apparently not. I'm using the Seagates internally, which is fine for my case, but they would not be so good in my externals.