Seasonic Announce New Prime Series PSU's

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm sure those will be solid products, but ATX power supplies have been around for what? 20 years now? How much more refinement can there be?
Now we can all wait patiently and see what JohnnyGuru has to say about them. Probably good things. Good, expensive things.

ddrueding

Fixture
Sounds good to me. I'd really like to see an 80Plus Titanium in the 300W range. Efficiency peaks at about 50% of rated capacity, and that would make it ideal for normal builds.

Mercutio

Looks to me like a Corsair Platinum-rated VS350 is only $130 on Amazon.
Or you could get a PicoPSU 150 for $50, which is enough to handle your Intel desktop CPU / NB / SSD / 2.5" HDD / RAM.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Sounds good to me. I'd really like to see an 80Plus Titanium in the 300W range. Efficiency peaks at about 50% of rated capacity, and that would make it ideal for normal builds.
50% of a 300W PSU is 150W. The difference between a Platinum and Titanium rated PSU at this power is 2W or 3W, so it's not worth the development effort for the manufacturer or the additional expense for the end-user. Even at 300W, the difference between both ratings isn't worth it IMO. At 550W, like the smallest Seasonic model, the difference is still barely above 10W.

ddrueding

Fixture
Looks to me like a Corsair Platinum-rated VS350 is only $130 on Amazon.
Or you could get a PicoPSU 150 for $50, which is enough to handle your Intel desktop CPU / NB / SSD / 2.5" HDD / RAM.

Thank you for finding that one, allow me to whine about the lack of modular cables ;)

50% of a 300W PSU is 150W. The difference between a Platinum and Titanium rated PSU at this power is 2W or 3W, so it's not worth the development effort for the manufacturer or the additional expense for the end-user. Even at 300W, the difference between both ratings isn't worth it IMO. At 550W, like the smallest Seasonic model, the difference is still barely above 10W.

Efficiency is one of the boxes that I tick when I build a system, it would be nice to not have to install a 550W PSU and run it at 15% load most of the time just to claim efficiency. These systems aren't cheap, just low-power. i7 Skylake, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD, low-end Quadro, overkill silent cooling.

Mercutio

If you're willing to cut back to "only" a 3.6GHzx8-thread turbo clocked i7 6700T is 15W idle 31W Max TDP vs. 15/65W for the grown-up (letterless or -K) variants. That's still within reach of a PicoPSU, even with a Maxwell-series GPU.

For the EEs (or at least guys with a lot more of an electronics background than I have): what are we actually gaining by using an external transformer instead of a switching power supply?