Security Cameras

Stereodude

Not really a
Anyone using any security camera at their home or business and have any tips, thoughts, feedback, or suggestions?

I've noticed the market seems to have changed from ~5 years ago when I last looked. Back then analog seemed like the way to go, but the cameras weren't high resolution which made them largely useless for identification purposes. They would only show you the specifics of what happened like when and how, but weren't very likely to provide identifying details on the perps. Now the high end IP based camera seem very capable offering high resolution MJPEG or H264 video (1920x1080 or higher), integrated motion detection, and other useful features that make them seem much more useful for ID'ing people.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've set up these guys a few times. They're 640x480, which is actually just fine for continuous recording and a nice step up from crappy analog security cams in more or less the same way that a full-motion DVD is an improvement over VHS tape that was recorded at four frames per second. The cameras are standards-compliant and it's relatively simple to make them talk to mobile apps and home automation stuff.

I don't think I'd want to try to record a weeks' worth of 1080p video, but it's not terribly expensive to get one, so why not?

ddrueding

Fixture
I've used quite a few Axis IP HD cameras. They work great but cost a fortune. Depending on how many you are after, you can get the ones with SD cards internally and not worry about a server at all.

I'm looking into the IP Camera add-on for the Synology Diskstations that I have, that might make management of larger installations easier.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Do you have a particular application in mind here? Why are you so concerned with being able to ID people from your camera?

Stereodude

Not really a
Do you have a particular application in mind here? Why are you so concerned with being able to ID people from your camera?
I had several packages stolen last week from my porch. I'm thinking to put several IP cams around the front of the house so I have a good view of anyone approaching the front of my house and can see what they're doing on my porch.