SF Back Online

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It's not bad, I just don't like all the white. If you were to replace some of the white with another color, then I would like it a lot more.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
timwhit said:
It's not bad, I just don't like all the white. If you were to replace some of the white with another color, then I would like it a lot more.

I hafta second the motion. Everything tends to blend in together. We have time. It's super fast as well.

Handruin

Administrator
timwhit said:

If people find it to be irratating, I can look into other themes. I did not make this theme, only hacked it a bit.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Handruin said:
timwhit said:

If people find it to be irratating, I can look into other themes. I did not make this theme, only hacked it a bit.

As a test scroll down a long thread until the title bar is off the screen. Until the footer comes up the screen is 90% white. Is there a place where we can look if we want to get ideas ot give you?

Handruin

Administrator
Cliptin said:
Handruin said:
timwhit said:

As a test scroll down a long thread until the title bar is off the screen. Until the footer comes up the screen is 90% white. Is there a place where we can look if we want to get ideas ot give you?

http://www.phpbb.com/styles/styles_demo/

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
So when will all the nifty links (Chat, Folding, Reviews etc) on the top of the page start doing stuff?

Maybe in a week or so. I have the chat almost ready, but I need to test it a bit more. The folding page hasn't been planned yet, so at some point we should put some ideas together in a separate topic. The links page will require a new link managment tool, or I can just edit it manually... The reviews section is also up in the air. I can remove the links to make it cleaner for the time being.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Great work Doug. The inception of this new site and the move to our new host has really kept you busy (along with your regular life), I think I speak for all when I commend you on your work and the efforts of volunteering your time and energy.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I rather like the new colours. A fresh look. Personally, I have never liked white backgrounds with dark text, but I know that I'm in the minority there so I get used to it. But the front page link to the forums is still tiny! I've lost count of the nunber of people I've directed here that can't find the forums. The front page link needs to be the biggest and brightest thing on the page, otherwise there is no point in having a front page at all.

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Looks great, Doug! And it is much faster. My load times from dialing up at work are much quicker.

I noticed you are using AshNews. I've been using it for about two months on my site and like the ease of use, editing, etc.

Handruin

Administrator
Dozer said:
Looks great, Doug! And it is much faster. My load times from dialing up at work are much quicker.

I noticed you are using AshNews. I've been using it for about two months on my site and like the ease of use, editing, etc.

I'm glad to hear the site is faster. I'm intereted to know how all the folks across the ocean think of the speed in comparison to the last site.

I found ash news after searching like mad through www.hotscripts.com. I have modified it a bit to work with the phpBB database and I've also made some other changes to the admin section. I think the news system works very well, it isn't too complicated and can be managed by more then one person.

However, I didn't want everyone to have access to post news so I integrated a mail script called dodos mail. When you click on submit news it will check to see if you are a registered user, and if so, you can submit news.

I was considering using ashnews for the review section. I think all I need to do is implement different catagories and include te ashnews file in a diferent section.

Handruin

Administrator
The domain name has propagated for me and everything seems to be fine. Has anyone else noticed any weirdness?

Looks like some good ping times blakerwry? After looking at the Australian results, the line looks a bit off. Why would it jump all the way to cali and then to New york? My only guess is that the line should have wrapped around going to the right...maybe that's why.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Handruin said:
The domain name has propagated for me and everything seems to be fine. Has anyone else noticed any weirdness?

The graphs do not show physical data paths but logical data paths.

The DNS name has not propagated for me yet.

James

Storage is cool
Handruin said:
Looks like some good ping times blakerwry? After looking at the Australian results, the line looks a bit off. Why would it jump all the way to cali and then to New york? My only guess is that the line should have wrapped around going to the right...maybe that's why.
Indeed you're right, that's the way it should be. The direct route to NY from here is via California, across the Pacific. (The map doesn't show this very well). Going round the other way via Europe is further plus bandwidth between Asia and Europe is limited and expensive (one 5/10Gb cable, one 40Gb cable, compared to several small cables + one 480Gb, one 20Gb, one 640Gb, one 80Gb and one 640Gb between Asia and the US).

The DNS hasn't propogated here yet.

James

Storage is cool
1 + 1 = 2, so 2 640Gb cables.

There's a 7.5Tb cable allegedly under construction too, but one has to wonder if Tyco will go through with it in the current climate.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Seeing as it appears that there is likely to be no progress on the need for a bigger, clearer link to the forums from the front page - this is a matter that has been raised again and again but little ever seems to get done - what about an alternative that could help at least a little: either renaming the path to the forum page or, better, gaving a simple, human-memorable duplicate path? Something like www.storageforum.net/forum would be easy to implement and short and simple enough to actually give to people. I often suggest that people visit this place, but one of three things happens:

(a) They come to the front page, can't see what I'm talking about (i.e., the forums themselves) in the first five seconds, and click their way off to somewhere else. (Those first five seconds are vital - hell, the first two seconds are what it's all about in this modern age of micro attention spans.)

(b) I try to give them the full link http://www.storageforum.net/phpBB2/index.php or whatever it is - and even I have trouble remembering it so, naturally, most people don't get here.

(c) I just give them the top URL www.storageforum.net and then either start explaining that they have to hunt around to find the actual forums, or else decide that it's all too hard and I have other things to do and I don't bother.

If we can't have much clearer links from the front page (though why not I have not the faintest idea), can we at least have a memorable duplicate URL? A very easy and simple brute-force way to do this would be to have a page called "forum" which is a redirector to /phpBB2/index.php.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
We are StorageForum.net, so access to our forum should be the most obvious item on our home page. At present, the nForce2 logo is the most prominent item. To get to the forum from our home page, you can click on three different locations, two labeled Forum and one labeled Forum Home. Let's use the same label for all locations, and then have one easy-to-see button to reach our forum. I look at it this way, on our home page the two items of equal importance are our name and a link to our forum, everything else comes next.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Buck said:
We are StorageForum.net, so access to our forum should be the most obvious item on our home page. At present, the nForce2 logo is the most prominent item. To get to the forum from our home page, you can click on three different locations, two labeled Forum and one labeled Forum Home. Let's use the same label for all locations, and then have one easy-to-see button to reach our forum. I look at it this way, on our home page the two items of equal importance are our name and a link to our forum, everything else comes next.

Exactly. Since the name is StorageForum, shouldn't the forum be the main page?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Wow! That waz quick! Thanks Doug!

Just one thing: the redirection page from www.storageforum.net/phpbb2/index.php takes me to http://www.storageforum.net/phpBB2/www.storageforum.net/forum

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>
<head>
	<title>S t o r a g e F o r u m . n e t</title>
	<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="3; URL="http://www.storageforum.net/forum/index.php">
</head>

<body>
The link to the forum has moved, please visit:

[url="www.storageforum.net/forum"]www.storageforum.net/forum[/url]

Please wait 3 seconds and you will be redirected.
</body>
</html>

Looking at the source, I can't see why. Is the missing "http" a factor?

Handruin

Administrator
Tea said:
Wow! That waz quick! Thanks Doug!

Just one thing: the redirection page from www.storageforum.net/phpbb2/index.php takes me to http://www.storageforum.net/phpBB2/www.storageforum.net/forum

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>
<head>
	<title>S t o r a g e F o r u m . n e t</title>
	<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="3; URL="http://www.storageforum.net/forum/index.php">
</head>

<body>
The link to the forum has moved, please visit:

[url="www.storageforum.net/forum"]www.storageforum.net/forum[/url]

Please wait 3 seconds and you will be redirected.
</body>
</html>

Looking at the source, I can't see why. Is the missing "http" a factor?

I couldn't figure it out either...I was saying WTF, I know it is coded ok...but I guess it did need the http.

I'm working on more more thing to help make the forums more noticable... it may take a few minutes.