Shaving solutions, or, what do Gilette and all those companies do with all their $?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I buy my razors at Costco. I just can't see paying 4 bucks for a razor blade. I walk into
my local drug store, and they have to keep the razors in a locked case now, right next to the Dom Perignon.

I looked into the old straight razor, stropp, etc. and the sticker shock of 200-500 bucks got me.

Next idea I may follow up on is a injector straight razor for under my nose. About 35-40 dollars, and, the blades are cheap.

However, my first, and happiest step was to get an old double edged safety razor, though I must say this one is a bit tricker then the old ones you used to get for free.
Garrauli items (Sold by Vikas Jain):

Merkur Model 180 Long Handled Safety Razor
$33.95

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Model-180-Handled-Safety/dp/B000NL0T1G

Super Safety Razors items (Sold by Howi Inc.):

100 7a.m. Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades
$16.88

Forgot to mention the first blade has lasted 7 days, and is still going. That's 7 days, for .16 cents for blades.
The throw aways are 50 cents each, and only last one, or maybe two days. Plus, no more nicks. The cheap disposables
are very low quality, and I get more nicks and cuts then I used to using a single blade injector shaver.

It works better then the 50 cents a razor throw away double edge Gilette disposables
in every area, except under my nose, where the disposables get in, and this big razor head
doesn't.

When I run out of disposables, which is going to be a long time, I'll look at an injectable straight razor.

What sort of shaving stuff are you using?

Stereodude

Not really a
I use a Panasonic ES-LA63-S Arc IV Multi Flex Nanotech Rechargeable Shaver. Previously I used a Remington Microscreen 3 Ti. The Panasonic irritates my face a lot less and seems to shave just as close.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I still have the Gillette double edge ajustable razor I bought in Jr High. I stopped using it when I recieved some fancy triple blade thing as a present. I'll be going back to the double edge as soon as I run out of the expensive triple blades.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I use a Mach 3. I shave three times a week. I change blades about once a month. I've tried a couple electric razors. I can't stand them.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Depending on meetings and attire, I shave once a week or more with a manual 2-blader.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I've got a Panasonic wet or dry ES4026. Doesn't work on my neck, takes WAY too much time, but, it's slightly better then nothing.

The Merkur is fantastic, and, seems to addlife, and shaving closeness to older blades that the cheaper razors didn't.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Being a Uni-bum, I only tend to shave once a week, but that's more to maintain the shape of my goatee, more than anything else.

I've got a Philips electric razor for a quick clean up, but for a close shave I use a King of Shaves AlphaGel and a Shick Extreme3 for that really close shave.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm not a 3 o'clock shadow kind of guy, but I need to shave every 24 hours in a business environment. It's compounded by my uneven hair growth - after 3 days, in my wife's words, I look like a desperado.

Having said that, my current circumstances mean I can limit shearing to about 3 shaves a week. It just ain't pretty.

I'm also cursed with the combination of coarse facial hair and 'sensitive' skin. For me, manual razors tend to be a blood-letting exercise (hell, I can bleed after an electric shave).

My weapon of choice is a Braun whatever. In general, they're so insanely expensive (in this country anyway), you could buy a lifetime's supply of razor blades for the price. But ... with some persistence, it shaves as close as a blade for me.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm also cursed with the combination of coarse facial hair and 'sensitive' skin. For me, manual razors tend to be a blood-letting exercise (hell, I can bleed after an electric shave).

This is an issue for me as well. One that I have nearly solved by shaving in the shower as a final step. By that time I've been "steamed/heated" to the point where it is nearly painless unless I wait 3+ days between shaves. No shaving cream needed, but shaving properly without a mirror requires some practice.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The reason I posted this is similar. The cheapy disposable Gillette double bladed razors have been cutting me in weird places, with some consistency. It seems the blades are not evenly cut, or seated, resulting in cuts, using the same stroke on the the same face that worked prior, with no cuts. VERY frustrating. At first I thought they faded quickly, which they do, like dull after 2 shaves. Then I started using new ones every shave, and still had the cutting
problem.

The Merkur has a front edge that is scallopped, that seems to offer a much closer shave then the old razors did. Also, the new blades are just supposed to be rinsed and air dryed.

Apparently they have a coating that protects the metal. Seems there has been progress in
metal blades in 40 years.

In school stuff, unless I went full beard, I have to shave before every contest.

Mercutio

I shave in the shower also. I'm fortunate that my facial hair is generally fine. The hairs on my neck are horrid, and I tend to break out if I shave my neck every day. Going every other day day, shaving in a hot shower and then rinsing my face with the coldest water I can get out of the tap immediately after is the best treatment I've found for keeping my skin happy.

Now I'm sure Coug will be along shortly to ask us what we do with our legs, armpits and bikini areas.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I shave with the beard trimmer on the back of a Braun razor a couple times a week. Shaving close makes me break out.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Norelco 7345XL for me. I shave every day because I find stubble annoying. When I used to use a blade my face was always irritated, especially my neck. When I was in college I started using electrics. Big difference. Maybe they don't shave quite as close as a blade, but the advantages make up for it. Generally I'll get about 2 years out of a set of blades, don't need shaving cream, so it's big time savings over shaving with a blade.

One thing I'm puzzled by here is why in 2011 we don't yet have some sort of effective, low-cost means of permanent hair removal. Laser hair removal works (sometimes) but costs a fortune. Same thing with electrolysis which is horribly tedious besides. I would think there would be huge market for this sort of thing among both sexes. Females generally only want hair on their head and eyebrows, many guys would gladly not have to shave ever again. All it seems we get are new electrics, and razors with ever more blades. I would think preventing hair growth is an easy problem to solve somehow. The conspiracy theorist in me says new patents to every effective permanent hair removal solution are probably bought up and locked away by Gillette or Norelco.

LunarMist

I shave in the shower also. I'm fortunate that my facial hair is generally fine. The hairs on my neck are horrid, and I tend to break out if I shave my neck every day. Going every other day day, shaving in a hot shower and then rinsing my face with the coldest water I can get out of the tap immediately after is the best treatment I've found for keeping my skin happy.

Get laser removal on your neck. You can still have a beard if you want.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I buy my razors at Costco. I just can't see paying 4 bucks for a razor blade. I walk into
my local drug store, and they have to keep the razors in a locked case now, right next to the Dom Perignon.
Drugstore.com had a ridiculous deal on Schick Hydro razors a few months back, and I'm stocked up with new razors and cartridges for a long time to come. Well, as long as the five-blade design doesn't suck.

Mercutio

Get laser removal on your neck. You can still have a beard if you want.

Because of how man hormones work, there's no such thing as permanent hair removal for guys for as long as we have our testes and aren't ingesting massive quantities of feminizing hormones for some reason. As big a pain in the ass as shaving is, the only dudes who are going to benefit from laser hair removal are the ones who want to be full-time chicks anyway.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I have had a couple of electric razors but none of them shave as close as the Mach 3 which doesn't consistently shave as close as the sensor before it. Even the safety razor I have doesn't shave as close and is much more likely to cut me.

I shave in the shower every day for the most part and swap the razor head out every month.

LunarMist

It works reasonably well. You may need a few more treatments up front and some touchups later, but it cuts down on shaving or the painful chest/shoulder/back waxing.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
One trick I've learned is to dry the razor after shaving. It makes the blade last longer somehow. That is goes longer before it starts to cut me and I switch it out.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Coug, do you have a beard?
Sometimes yes, sometime no. I'm never better than a 3-days beard. I shave with a Dremel. It feels more manly that way. I used to use a hunting knife, but the Dremel is faster and I save on the foam.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have only owned 2 electric razors, Norelco 985RX (still have as backup) and a 8891XL. Both reasonably top of the line for when they were purchased. First one lasted about fourteen years and still works but the batteries are weak. Only had the second one three years or so. Get blades yearlyish.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
What are you laughing about? It's a well known fact...pyramids work...

Wonder what's in those barber shop disinfectant jars?
Probably pyramid infused mineral oil.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I don't get this multiple blade thing. I have a heavy beard. Shave every day, twice if I want to go out out night. Because of that, multiple blades clog on my beard with a lot canned shaving gels. Foams (old skool!) work better for me. And so does sorbolene cream in a pump pack (very runny), that was a good smooth shave, and helped to prolong blade life. Currently, I'm going old skool with a tube of lather and a brush--I'll break out the Old Spice next...

If I'm lucky, a cartidge might last a week, but I can really tell it's getting blunt by then. When my favourite Wilkinson Sword double blades became too hard to find, I tried a number and settled on Aldi's triple blade--doesn't clog as easy as cartridges with more blades, and far cheaper than Gillette Mach 3.

I've tried a couple of electric shavers, but they never seem to get all my hairs, I'm left with the odd long hair on various parts of my face, and the shavers I've tried have never been as close as a blade.

Have I mentioned I hate ads where the 18 year old glides the razor over skin with pale fine fluff (it's not dark or thick enough to be called stubble) to "emphasize" the closeness of he shave? How stupid do ad agencies think we are? Hey Gillette/Shick, try your blade on my beard and see how far you get!

Must up the medication...

Mercutio

Supposedly, one of the contributing factors to blade wear is oxidation.
Immersion in an anaerobic environment would indeed help with that.

Makes sense to me.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I also hate the adds where some 15 year old with peach fuzz is telling me how wonderfull the razor is.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It appears the makers have come up with new coatings for the old blades:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...G8Z_5?ie=UTF8&m=A262S395NXGG8Z&n=&s=&v=glance
Platinum Coated for Smooth Shaves and Durability
Manufactured with Steel from Sweden
Excellent in Parker, Merkur, Gillette and all other New and Vintage Double Edge Safety Razors

I've noted that other razors, old school in original design:

http://www.amazon.com/Schick-Inject...es/dp/B001E6VHUQ/ref=pd_rhf_se_cpp_tab0_p_t_3

Also have new coatings for their blades:
Product Features

Case of four boxes, each containing seven razor blades (total of 28 blades)
Each stainless steel blade is electronically metalized with durable chromium and polymer coated
Delivers a clean, comfortable shave

I'm currently trying DD's shower first method. Only problem is that fogs up the mirror,
and my glasses, when I try and shave.

I've been spraying Lysol on the blades to try and make sure they are bacteria free. Minor skin infection is bothering me. Also after shave right now is alcohol.

I remember reading for one type of razor blade they said to air dry it to keep from erroding the coating on the blade.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Several people here have tried or are currently using and old school safety razor. I was disappointed with the performance of mine, never getting a close shave. But I admit I bought the first set of blades I could find. Who makes the best blades?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I've been spraying Lysol on the blades to try and make sure they are bacteria free. Minor skin infection is bothering me. Also after shave right now is alcohol.

I remember reading for one type of razor blade they said to air dry it to keep from erroding the coating on the blade.

My current thinking is that this is more a sign of blunt blades than bugs lurking in the cartridge. The blunt blade pulls at the hair and nips the skin near the base, allowing bacteria into the follicle. When I suffer from the same, a fresh cartridge usually makes the problem go away. I usually find that one new cartridge in any pack is never as sharp as the rest.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Howell:
Don't really know. The Merkur double edge, that I got one of with the razor, lasted 7 days, but if LiamC is right, I should have changed at 6. I did, and the problem seems to be going away.

They are 50 cents each, however.

After I run out of 7 AM Platinum, I may give this variety pack a try: or just read the reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Double-Safety...A5RC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320783539&sr=8-3

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z85VJK/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

From reading the reviews, prior to buying my choice, everyone likes different blades. What is 'best' is according to your face, and skin, and razor, and what works for you.

I will say Wilkinson Sword catches my eye. For some reason I have a concept that German production and design might be very good in this product.
Pack of twenty, 5-blades per pack(a total of 100 blades)
Triple coating process to resist corrosion, for added durability, for less irritation
Maintains it's edge even longer than stainless steel
For incredibly smooth, close, and comfortable double edge shaves
Manufactured in Germany; Fit all standard DE razors

With razor blades, it seems there is always one person that doesn't like the product, for whatever reason.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I used to have a Philips rotary shaver. It was convenient but could never get a really close shave. More recently I upgraded to a Panasonic linear shaver, now this really gets the job done. Neck still takes multiple passes but the biggest issue is not pressing against the face hard enough, no skin irritation unlike the rotary whih could make me bleed. Cleaning machine make a crazy racket.