Site Recovered for the first time 2/19/02

Handruin

Administrator
As you may have noticed the site was down for most of the afternoon. I contacted Burst tonight and I find out their hard drive holding the data in location "/home" died.

Therefore we have lost a few posts since last night. I created a backup last night before I went to sleep therefore minimizing the damage.

All posts after 2/18/02 10:59 PM eastern time have been lost. At this time I wish my best to everyone and apologize for the lost of those posts.

Thanks for understanding,

-Doug

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
This is why you do nightly backups, Doug. This is why James is working on a comprehensive "all risks" backup scheme. No apology required! The server died, you had a backup, we lost a few posts.No big deal. The main thing is we kept the database.

On the contrary, congratulations are in order: Burst.net dropped a drive and you were well prepared for it. My confidence in you is only increased by this event. Well done!

(It was my most active night on Storage Forum in quite some time, but no matter. I'll repost the ones I can remember, the others won't matter much. But I really thought I was starting to narrow the post-count lead Mr Prolific Mercutio had over me. Obviously, it was fated not to be.)

Handruin

Administrator
Tannin said:
This is why you do nightly backups, Doug. This is why James is working on a comprehensive "all risks" backup scheme. No apology required! The server died, you had a backup, we lost a few posts.No big deal. The main thing is we kept the database.

On the contrary, congratulations are in order: Burst.net dropped a drive and you were well prepared for it. My confidence in you is only increased by this event. Well done!

(It was my most active night on Storage Forum in quite some time, but no matter. I'll repost the ones I can remember, the others won't matter much. But I really thought I was starting to narrow the post-count lead Mr Prolific Mercutio had over me. Obviously, it was fated not to be.)

Sorry for all the posts lost...timing is everything I guess. :sqnt:

It also figures I made the most changes (all of which were lost) to the layout and design. Be it not much, but it took some work.

My next idea is to setup an FTP server on my machine at home (which runs 24x7 and I wouldn't be surprised if it has a higher uptime compared to SF) and have the automated script send a backup every4-6 hours to my machine here. Now that's a goal! ;)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Tannin said:

I thought you said you were keeping copies of all your posts Tannin...

-Tim

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Only the long ones, Tim. There are a few other posts I made last night from my home machine which are still on hard drive there and I'll repost them (if they seem worth it when I get home and look at them). Or leave go if they seem trivial. (More trivial than usual, I mean.)

These days at SR I'm making like EBB: mostly one para posts. Call it paranoia if you like, but I just don't feel comfortable putting several hours into crafting a really first-rate post there, not like I used to do in the old days.

I don't worry too much about the things I post here at Storage Forum though. OK, I might loose a few most-recent posts now and then (as with last night's ones) but long-term I trust Doug's backups.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
np Doug,
shit happens!

BTW, I lost only one thing, my question regarding "how Search Engines work"... could you respond cause I wasn't able to access the answers yesterday...

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Tannin said:
These days at SR I'm making like EBB: mostly one para posts. Call it paranoia if you like, but I just don't feel comfortable putting several hours into crafting a really first-rate post there, not like I used to do in the old days.

EBB's paranoia is almost legendary. (especially if it's true he went on to create a nick "LOST6200"...)
However, this is unfair Tannin, have you read at SR's home page "SR Lives!"? Or you have a direct link to the forums?
Eugene is here to stay...

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Not at all unfair, Prof. Eugene is indeed at SR to stay and I rejoice in that.

But, once bitten twice shy - I'll not trust too much of my best writing to SR's database again. Post there, yes. Often. But spend hours crafting and researching an SR post the way I used to? No way. If it's important, or it took me a long time to write, it gets posted here where I know it's safe.

One quick repost of my (short and unimportant) reply to your seach engines question coming right up!

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
:oops:
Well, can't blame you... why you think I posted my "Search Engine" question in SF?!
I wanted it to be answered by people who really know how the IT world spins...