Small Color Laser with Good Linux support

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm looking for a color laser with good Linux support that is preferably less than $200. Any ideas?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Forgot to mention: I'm also interested in multi-function devices and network support. I don't care too much about wireless support.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Anything that supports either PCL5, PCL6 or Postscript will work fine.

Just about every printer with a network port support raw (9100), lpd or ipp which are all supported by CUPS and lp.

Sticking point will be scanner/fax support on a multifunction. SANE should be able to help you there... and it looks like your options are limited.

PS. http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Anything that supports either PCL5, PCL6 or Postscript will work fine.

Just about every printer with a network port support raw (9100), lpd or ipp which are all supported by CUPS and lp.

Sticking point will be scanner/fax support on a multifunction. SANE should be able to help you there... and it looks like your options are limited.

PS. http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

I'm not really going to worry about the scanner working under Linux. I doubt I will use it very often.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yeah, for all the stuff I wanted $200 was unrealistic. I ordered the Samsung. Hopefully it works alright with my Linux machine. I have 2 Windows boxen I can use for the scanner if I can't get that to work.

I have three of the multifunction and a dozen or so of the printers. The cartridges are not large, but they are cheap.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Got the printer setup, the paper tray is annoying though. It works on my Fedora 12 system. It wasn't as easy to configure as in Windows, but at least it works.

ddrueding

Fixture
Glad to hear it. I'm always hesitant to offer recommendations, specifically with printers. Just because something is the best I've found doesn't mean it is actually good.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Glad to hear it. I'm always hesitant to offer recommendations, specifically with printers. Just because something is the best I've found doesn't mean it is actually good.

I wasn't really expecting best when spending $280 for a MFD color laser. I'm just glad I can print from my Linux machine. Now I just need to get the scanner to work.

Have you ever setup the email settings to send through GMail?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I got it to work using my favorite method: trial and error. That's a nice feature, I wasn't expecting it to have that.

It will also scan to a USB drive, which is also useful. The web interface is very nice to have as well.

I'd say I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Sol

Storage is cool
I got it to work using my favorite method: trial and error. That's a nice feature, I wasn't expecting it to have that.

I think you'll find that everything has trial and error. (Although some things do limit you to just the one error).

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Does that samsung not have PCL or are there some specs missing from the page?

I was looking at some samsung printers but the reviews were saying that paper jams were common, especially with the duplexers which is something I would really like to save paper.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Based on the published specs, I don't believe it does. Usually, the most basic printers don't get PCL emulation. For instance, the CLP315 doesn't have it, but the now-obsolete CLP-350N did. Samsung explicitly mentions it as a feature on that page.