So this is a thing

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Microcenter apparently sells weirdo off-brand large-format computer screens. Like this one. That's a 27" IPS screen with a 2560x1440 resolution and 1000:1 contrast. There are also 32" models, though the one I go to doesn't have any right now.

Apparently they're B stock that were made for sale inside Korea, where the standards for what constitutes "B stock" are rather different from what we have here in the USA.

This is all kinds of interesting because of course something like a Dell Ultrasharp will run about twice that.

This might be something for people who might be in the mood for a proper high-res screen without the need for LunarMist-like display perfection.

Stereodude

Not really a
The LCD panels are b-stock, or maybe are not up to Apple / Dell's standards. The whole product isn't b-stock.

That said, I bought the Dell.

Stereodude

Not really a
I bought the U2711 a few week back. I was aware of the cheaper Korean options at the time but bought the Dell anyhow.

Mercutio

I own a 27" Ultrasharp as well, but for $800 I could have two of those. There is a certain sort of appeal to that.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
There was a post about these on slashdot a couple weeks ago. There are quite a few for sale from reputable sellers on ebay. I'd link to the slashdot post but I'm on my phone in an airport.

Mercutio

And since my 27" Dell Ultrasharp just, like this very minute, died, I suspect I'll be buying one of these guys pretty soon.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
And since my 27" Dell Ultrasharp just, like this very minute, died, I suspect I'll be buying one of these guys pretty soon.

Is it still under warranty? I was forced to call Dell tech support today and it was incredibly painful, but I would probably call for a monitor.

Mercutio

It is out of warranty.
It keeps dropping in to sleep mode. If I unplug it, it will come back on for five or 10 minutes. From what I've read it probably has some bad caps on its main logic board, but I can't say for sure and I don't know if I care.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It is out of warranty.
It keeps dropping in to sleep mode. If I unplug it, it will come back on for five or 10 minutes. From what I've read it probably has some bad caps on its main logic board, but I can't say for sure and I don't know if I care.

Send it to JTR and he can solder on new caps.

Mercutio

I may pull the circuit board and see if I can find somebody who is better at soldering than I am, but I'm not sure if I'd be better off with a 27" screen or a pair of, say, 23" ones.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Why should you have to fix the display on a work computer? It's madness.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I may pull the circuit board and see if I can find somebody who is better at soldering than I am, but I'm not sure if I'd be better off with a 27" screen or a pair of, say, 23" ones.

Typically it is more difficulty to remove the old parts than to replace them. About 30 years ago I worked as a repair tech. A good desquamation station was very useful and efficient. However radial caps are usually easy to remove without anything special. Maybe soldersick.