Socket A upgrade advice please

paugie

Storage is cool
I am using a Socket A Sempron 2400+ on a Gigabyte KT600 mobo with 512mb DDR-SDRAM

There's a Barton 2600+ on sale and the owner says he'll accept my Sempron if I'll add P1,000 (that's around USD19). Shall I bite? I'm thinking of asking him to go down to P800.

The only CPU intensive thing I do on this machine is encode video. And every now and then, my son's girlfriend creates some architectural plans.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I disagree: the Barton core Athlons are so much more pleasant to use than any of the small cache chips that it's always worth swapping to one. Don't care if it's a 2500, a 2600, or a 3000. The thing is .... do you trust the vendor? Is it a good chip? Oh, and make quite sure that it is a Barton - AMD made 2600s in both flavours.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Tannin, that's such a marginal increase in processing power, there's no way it's worthwhile. There's not going to be any subjective difference for paugie. He's got something that works right now, and it's very possible that the vendor could be pulling a fast one on him somehow (remarked chip, bad chip etc).

paugie, hold off for another year or so. Your 2400 isn't going to get any slower. :)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Processing power increase = zip. (Or close enough.) For CPU intensive stuff, why bother? I agree.

Desktop responsiveness - i.e., "feels fast", AKA "nice to use"" = substantial. That big Barton cache is, in my book, an essential. I don't own a machine that isn't a Barton. (Except for the Thinkpad.)

But your comments about the vaguries of the deal, Merc, those I agree with.

paugie

Storage is cool
I'll be holding on for a year, on this motherboard. At least I think that's about as long a time I'll need to scrounge up the moolah (do people still use this term for money?) to for a "modern" processor.

They say an X2 3800 will be very cheap. I wonder if it will still be around in a year's time.

The chip is still on the market. It seems everybody is bypassing Bartons for Intel Dual Core. Other people have been offering equipment swaps but the seller is not biting.

I made a deal with myself. If he agrees to P800, I'll get it. We are going to test it first before finalizing the transaction.

Hmmm, remember that Celeron-D I was grousing about which seemed to keep thinking about how to do the commands I was putting to it before actually executing? My sempron is more responsive. But I can feel it hiccup every once in a while.

I'm hoping with Tony that with the Barton the hiccups will go away.

You may surmise that I am quite fiddly with my equipment, so I more than half want to change processors just for the experience. Something which is not really economical, effort/money/performance enhancement -wise.

It was ok for me to just let it be.... until this denizen of Ballarat set me dreaming again.

paugie

Storage is cool
Hahaha,

I offered him my processor, a seagate 6.4 hard disk drive and a 128mb SDRAM module.

He has said yes. We're in the process of negotiating a meeting place and time.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Adcadet said:
Yes, at least here in midwestern United States we do say "moolah" as slang for money.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moolah

Yeah here too.

Wikipedia said:
Some money

* Beer Tokens
* Bling (when referring to coins)
* Bread
* Bucks
* Cake
* Cheese
* Chips
* Clams
* Coinage
* Coppers
* Dead Presidents (US)
* Deniro
* Dime
* Dosh
* Dough
* Duckets
* Folding Green (US)
* Frogskins (US)
* Green (US)
* Greenbacks (US)
* Grip (large quantity of money)
* Jingle
* Moola
* Nickels
* Paper
* Shrapnel (when referring to coins)
* Silver
* Skrill, Skrilla (US West Coast and also East Coast Canada, primarily Halifax)
* (The Old) Spondulix
* Yay

My money

* Slice of my pie
* My stack
* My wedge

Amounts of money

* Archer = £2000
* Bob = 1 shilling
* Buck = $1
* C note, Benjamin (US) = $100 bill
* Fiver, Five Spot, Finsky = 5 currency units
* Foonie = $5 (Canada) - a non-existent $5 coin, allegedly under discussion by the Canadian mint
* Grand, G, Big One, Large or K = 1,000 currency units
* Loonie = $1 (Canada)
* Monkey = £500
* Nicker = £1
* Pony = £25
* Quid = £1
* Score = £20
* Single = $1 bill (but not coin) or £1 (coin or note)
* Sov = £1 (short for sovereign)
* Stack of High Society = 10,000 currency units
* Tanner = sixpence
* Tenner = 10 currency units
* Ton = £100
* Toonie = $2 (Canada)