Speedfan update

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Speedfan has been updated to 4.29. This is important for K8 owners as this version can now accuratelt detect the K8's internal CPU temperature diode correctly. You'll find that your CPU is running several degrees hotter than you think.

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
sweet thanks
speedfan.png

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, this one killed my system to the point where it won't even get to safe mode anymore.

I know I'm jumping the gun to blame SpeedFan; but this system gets rebooted daily and has been sable for weeks. I installed speedfan and ran it, the screen never updated and very quickly locked the entire machine. Upon restart it goes through the BIOS sequence and then stops at a blank screen where the WinXP logo is supposed to be. No disk activity, no keyboard response, no ability to hit F8 and enter Safe Mode. I'm not happy.

paugie

Storage is cool
No disk activity, no keyboard response, no ability to hit F8 and enter Safe Mode. I'm not happy.
nye! It's 2006.
How come these things still happen?

I'll install it right now and see what it does to this system.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
paugie said:
nye! It's 2006.
How come these things still happen?

I'll install it right now and see what it does to this system.

Lemmings, I see lemmings. One goes off the cliff, the rest follow.

paugie

Storage is cool
Lemming reporting in.

Fell off the cliff but didn't die. The system is still alright.
Win2K on Duron 950 soldered direct to an ECS K7SEM (SiS chipset) w/ 192mb SDRAM. Inno3D 32Mb GeForce2 MX400, Fujitsu 8.4Gb hard disk drive

It's reporting CPU temps of 67deg Celsius.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, whatever happened, the hard drive is completely toast. The rest of the system seems fine, but a 300GB Seagate SATA HDD is no more (along with my primary computer's OS, Apps, settings, games, etc.)

:sob:

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm sure it is, I just hate having to re-install everything. I just threw in a 160GB drive I had sitting around and am installing TinyXP Beast Edition on it...we'll see how it goes.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
ddrueding said:
Well, whatever happened, the hard drive is completely toast.

I'm sure you had a recent backup and can just restore, correct?
If not are you going to try to recover the data from the drive?
Or is it really just the remains of toast and doesn't spin up or be recognized at all?

ddrueding

Fixture
For now I've just set the drive aside and done a temp install on another drive. I will at some point attempt to do a recovery of it. BIOS detects it fine, as does Linux when booted to the CD. But it can't be mounted, and it can't be accessed. We'll see what I can do when I have more time.