Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, please Remove it.

• No, but you can Keep it.

• Total voters

Handruin

Administrator
I've added a new forum tool, please vote and let me know if you like it. This option is easy to add/remove, so let me know...

Handruin

Administrator
Note that it has only been added to the default theme until I get more feedback. If you guys like it, I'll add it to the others.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I haven't voted (and won't) because it isn't available on the theme I use and, at least for tonight, I'm too lazy to switch to the default theme in my profile (and then having the exhausting task of puting my original theme back).

I think it might be a helpful feature, but I've been doing without it for so long that I'm not sure I would even think to use it. I already have my routine ritual when posting : write, preview, preview again even if sure all is ok, preview if it still isn't, then f**k off, to Hell with left mistakes and post. Been like this for more than four years, don't think I'll change.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Spell checking does not seem to be an option for me - I've never seen the option.

I would prefer one as long as it is easier to deal with than running word with cut and paste into the forums.

Handruin

Administrator
Everyone should be able to see the spell check feature now. I've added it to all phpbb themes. The feature is definitely easier to use than word. All you do is click the "SpelChek" button and a pop up window opens with drop down lists to every "suspect" word. You can either pick a replacement from the list, or select the "manual" option to change it.

Let me know what you think.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hmmm .... Probably a good thing, though I haven't tried it out in real life yet. I suspect that it will have difficulty with correct spelling (as opposed to that heretical American stuff), and that that problem will make it something suitable only for occassional use unless you are from the USA or points nearby. (Indeed, to try it out right now, I could suggest that it a horse of a different colour.)

On the whole, I think it would be much more useful to simply allow members to edit posts.

Hmmmm ... unless "occasional" above has just one "s" when I post this, it doesn't work. Probably doesn't get on with the always-suspect Java support of Opera 6. (I have not yet warmed to Opera 7, despite spending money on it. Seem to use 6 most of the time.)

And yup, it doesn't understand "colour", nor offer it as an alternative to the unlovely "color".

A very neat mod, and certainly worth the experiment, but all in all, editing posts would be a better one.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
that's the best spell check for an online forum/webmail that I have ever seen... I like being able to see what's wrong and correct everything myself. Which is something that alot of online spell checkers are missing.

The suggestions for some(most) of the words it doesn't like could use some work.. but I guess that's what you get when you use alot of technical acronyms and such.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
As long as correct spelling is optional, I'm all for it.

It could, however, use a dictionary with a few technical terms in it....

Handruin

Administrator
Yup. Correct spelling is an option. So is the incorrect spelling. The option is there for those who want the convenience. It's not perfect, but it will help remove some of the typing goofs we all fall victim to from time to time.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
So, uh, is it actually supposed to do something? I click SpelCheck (is it a bad sign that Spel is not spelled correctly?). I make a couple of corrections to typos. I click "Finish Checking" (shouldn't that be "Finished"?) and the pop-up window flashes something too fast to read and goes blank. I wait. Nothing happens. I continue to wait. Nothing continues to happen.

IE 6, all patches applied.

BTW, when checking this message, it doesn't like 'SpelCheck'.

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208 Firebird/0.7+

Well I get the same thing, hit finish checking and there is just a blank popup. So I close it and my post hasn't changed. Looks like were missing that all important insert into document button.

Handruin

Administrator
What forum themes are you all using. There is a separate instance for each theme that I had to install. I did test all of them, but maybe I missed something.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Handruin said:
What forum themes are you all using. There is a separate instance for each theme that I had to install. I did test all of them, but maybe I missed something.
fisubtext

Handruin

Administrator
Will, I didn't change anything. I wonder if their spelchek website was down? It does use a CGI script to check the spelling...

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hmmm, I just clicked on the link to this thread, and got this:
The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whitespace is not allowed at this location. Error processing resource 'http://www.storageforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3179'. Line 14, Position 69

<link rel="chapter forum" href="viewforum.php?f=9" title="For Sale & trade" />
--------------------------------------------------------------------^

I then clicked back and the link again, and everything is ok...Strange.

Handruin

Administrator
I get those every so often, along with a few other members. I don't know what causes that to happen. Yours seemed less severe than mine. When it happens to me, I have to close my browsers and reopen before it will stop.