Spring Time

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Since it is spring time in my neck of the woods, I thought I might take a couple of pictures of some flowers in my yard. No, they're not taken with a digital camera, just a plain old Minolta XG1 (pretty time consuming to setup, shoot (without a preview), and then have them developed). I think that I should look into a nice digital camera.

http://www.hlmcompany.com/flowers.php

In the navigation bar, you'll see a temporary section called Spring Time. You can click on that to see the few pictures that I've uploaded. One word of caution, the expectation is about 25 seconds to download one picture @ 28.8 speeds. Hence, I only put one picture per page.

There are no pictures of it, buy my herb garden is coming along too, I can start using some of the produce in our kitchen.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
The pictures are very nice. Actually, I think the whole site is nicely done.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Since I'm on broadband for the day and forced to use IE I went and took a look anyway (thanks for the warning, though).

I particularly like the last one. It's fairly obvious to me that those images are cropped to that white border, but I really like the color balance in the last group.

I can, um, take pictures of the spring graffiti around my apartment; Latin Kings have started crossing out Gangster Disciples work, which is probably not a good sign...

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Thanks Mercutio. The last one is my favorite too, and amazingly, it didn't require any color/brightness/contrast alterations. I thought that all the images looked better with the white "inner glow", instead of just a stark edge.

I'm sorry to hear that your neighborhood is so synthetic and plagued with gangs. Around here, when we see a gang, it is usually a pack of coyotes looking for a meal. (The neighborhood cats and small dogs usually make good snacks for them. The only other bandits we have are raccoons - and boy, can they make a mess.) Although we do have the usual rambunctious teenagers that enjoy showing off the speed of their cars or the loudness of their stereos, the Sheriffs department does a pretty good job of curbing criminal activity.

I remember one time when some kids pulled a prank on our house: We were having a party of sorts, the doorbell rang, and when we went to open the door, it wouldn’t open. One strong yank (with a little of my weight put into it) revealed that they had put a stick in between the two door handles for the front doors. So, we (a few of us men – aged 20 to 55) went charging outside. As we scoped the neighborhood (probably about 9:00 pm), we found a couple of those jokers. You should have seen the look on their face when we grabbed them and dragged their sorry behinds back to their house. A few stern words (without foul language) and all was done. They never bothered us again. It sounds that if we had done that in your neighborhood, we would have been shot, stabbed, robbed, and left for dead.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I haven't had a chance to comment in any detail yet, Bartender, but very nice pictures. I'm enjoying them. Also, great work with your WD history: a valuable resource in the making. I'll make a link to it from the redhill site shortly.

Mercutio

Tannin, wouldn't a simple move to the northern coast of Oz (Ballarat is in the southeastern portion, correct?) solve your weather complaints? Personally I like three of the seasons, and to get a real spring and autumn, you have to have a winter in there somewhere. Unfortunately.

And like you weren't lording your weather over us all through our winter anyway.

I guess I *do* have something good to say about "outside" where I live. Today the weather is perfect. It's 70 F and just the slightest breeze, and for the first time in almost a week, it isn't raining. Somehow during the last seven days, leaves have finally filled in on all the trees, which gives me something to look at besides the buildings across the courtyard.
It rained pretty hard here, and some of the courtyard flooded. Now it's like I have a little pond outside my apartment. It won't last but right now I'm enjoying it (on my deck with laptop, busily avoiding work I should be doing).
A small thing, I suppose.

Mercutio

The outside-ness isn't voluntary. I'm stucl out here because the other member of my household has asked for the apartment to herself until she goes off to teach. :(

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Whenever I look at the subject for this topic, I just keep hearing "It's springtime for Hitler and Germany" From the Producers.

Mercutio

Talking about "Springtime for Hitler" reminds me of The Boys from Brazil.

Let me tell you, I got some interesting results when I typed that into Google.

And of course, talking about Brazil at all reminds me of a favorite dystopian vision and a really overlooked film.

And we're on to movies, which are mostly an indoor activity that I have a decent understanding of.

I'd like to go camping, though. I've never done that. The idea in my mind is finding someplace nice with woods and trees and clean water and real darkness and stars to look up and see.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Tea said:
Australia is very good for that. Just sell your car and take a month off. :)

I thought Australia was full of deadly poisonous insects though. What are those spiders called? Funnel webs? Eeek.

Living here in North Carolina is hard enough. I'm sick of it actually ... it seems like I can't even get near plants higher than about 3 inches without finding at least a couple of *&#(%@ ticks on me. Lyme disease sucks ... I'm grateful it's rare.

The last time I did some plumbing repairs in the crawl-space under my house, I came nose-to-nose with a black widow spider. The hilarious part was that, despite having virtually no room to move (it's called a crawl-space for a reason), I could not possibly have been better prepared. I was wearing ultra-thick welder's gloves that came up to my elbows, and I was holding a lit blowtorch.

HAH! Bet you didn't expect THAT, did you Mr. Spider! Bwahahahaaaa.

Sol

Storage is cool
i said:
I thought Australia was full of deadly poisonous insects though. What are those spiders called? Funnel webs? Eeek.

Actually Funnel web spiders are an example of Australia’s rich and poisonous Arachnid population. Our poisonous insects are a quite distinct and mostly imported mix of European Wasps and Fire Ants among others.

Mostly, however, our nasties are pretty localized with Funnel Webs mostly only around Sydney, although they are heading south slowly they still have 2000km or so before they reach our neck of the woods.

Camping in Australia is really quite safe, because of all the poisonous things which are about abulances and rescue crews are usually ready with anti-venoms for any local insect/arachnid/snake which might pose a threat to campers. As a result no one has died of a Funnel Web bite in I think about 6 years or more.

Mercutio said:
Tannin, wouldn't a simple move to the northern coast of Oz (Ballarat is in the southeastern portion, correct?) solve your weather complaints?

Are you crazy? That portion of Australia contains 9 of the worlds 10 deadliest snakes.
Or to put it another way the worlds 9 deadliest snakes. Plus Fire Ants and other assorted poisonous things.
Better to stay down here with only the whitetails.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio,

The best camping/canoeing I have ever done is in the boundary waters in Minnesota. My friends and I go up every year for a week (for 5 years). It is canoeing and camping to the extreme. Some days you don't ever see another person for an entire day.

Going to the boundary waters is about the only thing that I look forward to the entire year. There is just something about being up there, days from civilization. I don't think I would trade the week a year up there for anything.

We saw the northern lights a few years ago up there, it was pretty cool. Being 10 feet from a moose was really cool too. Very humbling, we were just sitting in a canoe in the middle of a small stream with no current. The thing was feeding by the edge of the water, we got pretty close and it saw us but didn't seem to care too much. Finally after watching it for about 10 minutes it splashed right across the water to the other side and took off through the trees. This thing had horns and all. I was thinking about it later, but if it had felt threatened by us there wouldn't have been a damn thing we could have done about it. That moose would have clobbered us. It looked like a big clumsy horse, with horns on it.

James

Storage is cool
Time to quote that memorable song by the Scared Weird Little Guys :

Deadly Animals
By The Scared Weird Little Guys

Redback, Funnel-Web, Blue-ringed octopus
Tiapan, Tigersnake and a Box jellyfish
Stonefish and the poison thing that lives in a shell
That spikes you when you pick it up

Come to Australia
You might accidentally get killed

Your life's constantly under threat
Have you been bitten yet?
You've only got three minutes left
Before a massive coronary breakdown

Big shark just waiting for you to go swimming
At Bondi Beach

Come to Australia
Your blood is bound to be spilled
With fear your pants will be filled
Because you might accidentally get killed

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
James said:
Time to quote that memorable song by the Scared Weird Little Guys :

Deadly Animals
By The Scared Weird Little Guys

Stonefish and the poison thing that lives in a shell
That spikes you when you pick it up

Come to Australia

Your life's constantly under threat
Have you been bitten yet?
You've only got three minutes left
Before a massive coronary breakdown

Big shark just waiting for you to go swimming
At Bondi Beach

Come to Australia
Your blood is bound to be spilled
With fear your pants will be filled
Because you might accidentally get killed

Oh yeah, those are great words to attract tourism. Maybe this should be sung to all of those seeking asylum.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Hey ... look at what I just stumbled across while trying to identify the bast ... err, tick ... currently attached to my leg:

Australian Spider and Insect Bites

Includes some nice succulent ("juicy" doesn't do it justice) details. :wink:

adriel

Learning Storage Performance
Here's my springtime contribution:

http://www.pcez.com/~adriel/spidey.jpg

The spider sucked the muskeeter for about two days and left it an empty shell, then snapped its head off. I've been feeding the spider bugs from outside--I found it sneaking around in my room, and because it is missing a leg I thought I'd take care of it. The maintenance is easy, I just give it bugs and water, and wipe up the poop every day or change insect containers.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
i said:
Hey ... look at what I just stumbled across while trying to identify the bast ... err, tick ... currently attached to my leg:

Australian Spider and Insect Bites

Includes some nice succulent ("juicy" doesn't do it justice) details. :wink:

Yuck, even the ticks in Oz are nasty. I have no problem with ticks in general; some people are positively fanatical about never getting one on them. Paralysis is something I'd like to avoid, however.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
adriel said:
I've been feeding the spider bugs from outside--I found it sneaking around in my room, and because it is missing a leg I thought I'd take care of it. The maintenance is easy, I just give it bugs and water, and wipe up the poop every day or change insect containers.
I met weird people during my life and you are certainly one of them.

Mercutio

When I was in college I had a roommate - and one of my better roommates - who had to keep a cockroach alive as part of an entymology class. That thing scared the hell out of me. It was probably two inches long and made noises all night long. About halfway through the semester I started killing his roaches, but creatively. I'd get a couple days of peace and he'd get a new roach the next week from his instuctor. . He was a senior and didn't really care by that point anyway.

At least spiders don't make noise.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
At least spiders don't make noise.

Yes, silent ... and deadly. :wink:

Cliptin said:
I have no problem with ticks in general; some people are positively fanatical about never getting one on them. Paralysis is something I'd like to avoid, however.

I don't have a problem with ticks in general either. But I do have a problem when they decide to attach themselves to me.

I read the names of more types of bacteria yesterday while perusing tick literature than I have since first-year biology. That's my problem with ticks: they're great disease carriers.

You've probably heard of Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Lyme disease, but here's a list of some of the other fantastic diseases the North American tick population may someday decide to share with you:

Partial list of tickborne diseases

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
For anyone not bandwidth challenged and interested in another picture, I've added one more to my online gallery of Spring. It will be the first picture, so you don't have to download and scroll through the whole lot.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Bartender said:
For anyone not bandwidth challenged and interested in another picture, I've added one more to my online gallery of Spring. It will be the first picture, so you don't have to download and scroll through the whole lot.

Thanks again Bartender.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
If anyone wants to see pictures of a garden...I threw up some pictures of my dad's garden, he spends every spare minute out there.

http://www.timwhit.com/garden

These are from the backyard and they are a few weeks old, things look a bit fuller now.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
That's a pretty garden. It was a treat to see real grass! Not this sorry excuse for grass we have down here in Florida, but real honest to God grass!

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Beautiful garden - very well organized, maintained, and manicured; give him my compliments and praise. Your father should very proud of his artwork. I hope he didn't mind the picture of him on the internet.

Mercutio

I'm allergic to a lot of plants so I think when I get my own apartment I'm going to just buy TONS of fake trees and ferns and stuff. It'll be like living in a jungle. Except for all the dusting. :)

Your parents' backyard looks very similar to my parents'.