Stroh Rum

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
I didn't want to hijack JoJos Technical Support thread anymore then what lazy Buck has already done. Some day I'll have to give Stroh Rum a try. JoJo, do you drink the 80?

There website needs a little help, but here it is in all of its Flash glory.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hey! I didn't know they had a website!
(Stooooopiiiiiiddd me, who doesn't have a website these days! :oops: )

I can only by the 54% version here in Finland. The goverment owned/controlled alcohol shops only carry that one. But if I go on a cruise to Sweden or someplace else, they usually carry the 80% also.

The 54% version I usually drink straight, or with some ice. Funny thing with Stroh is that it doesn't burn your throat or stomach, even at that high alcohol level.

Pour me another one, please!

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
You drink 54% straight? I think I would puke just smelling it. The last time I took anything that strong straight was on my last birthday. Someone thought that I needed a shot of Bacardi 151. Believe me not good stuff at all.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Just in case some of you don't know, here in Finland we have ALKO, which is the only place to buy strong liquer. The goverment has pretty high taxes (on everything here in Finland :(, the bad side to having so few people in this country) on alcohol, cigarettes and gas.
You can buy beer in all shops, but even wine can only be had in ALKO. This is changing now, though, thanks to EU and it's regulations.

Or is it thanks, I don't konw. Well have to wait and see how the Finns start drinking when the strong stuff is available in all stores.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Trust me, even my girlfriend can drink stroh straight. It really is that smooth in taste, and doesn't make you fell like that. Really.

This is one of very few that I can drink straight.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
In Sweden they have a similar system to Finland in liquer distribution, but there the company is called SYSTEMBOLAGET.

Sweden and Finland have cruise ships going back and forth every morning and evening. There are two different companies doing it, VIKING LINE and SILJA LINE. Through the years FInns and Swedes have traditionally used to go on a 24h cruise back and forth, just stopping for an hour in the harbour. That's also the general way to go to sweden/finland, just drive onto the boat and about 12 hours later you arrive in Turku or Stockholm.

Boats leave from Finland from Turku and Helsinki, and they all go to Stockholm in Sweden.

The are also cruises going over to Tallin in the south.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Going to (Tallinna is in Lithuania) Tallinna has become more usual during the last years, as everything has been very cheap there after it became independent. Lot's of pirated stuff (movies, music, games, clothes..) on sale there some years ago, but it's quieting down a bit know.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
We store all of the Stroh you care to drink our dear Finn. It sounds smooth enough, and seems to be the exact opposite of Bacardi 151. That stuff is awful, I wouldn't even attempt to drink it straight. I'm sorry you had to endure that alcoholic torture Tim.

Interesting arrangment with alcoholic beverages in Finland. In the U.S., the distribution of such beverages through retail is regulated by the State. Thus, each state has its own variation of where and when liquor is sold. In some states they have drive-thru sections for beer, in other states you can't purchase alcohol past 10pm at night and only and specially designated stores.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I must say, I don't care very much for French rum. They taste a bit too...I don't know what, bitter?
I've lately only bought rum btw (probably not a surprise for anyone ;) ).

And lately as in a bottle every few months...

How ofter do you people drink beer? How many bottles/week? How normal is it for you to take a beer after work or with dinner?

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I wonder if I'll manage to post enough material about Alcohol and Scandinavian culture here to get that memory Merc mentioned. Only about 2950 character to go ;).

Btw, is there someone who can shed some more light on why C left? That was quite a surprise for me...

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
The JoJo said:
I must say, I don't care very much for French rum. They taste a bit too...I don't know what, bitter?
I've lately only bought rum btw (probably not a surprise for anyone ;) ).

And lately as in a bottle every few months...

How ofter do you people drink beer? How many bottles/week? How normal is it for you to take a beer after work or with dinner?

Interesting observation about French rum. I think that Stroh will make it to my private collection soon enough.

Anyway, I don't know what most people drink and when. I hardly ever drink alcohol with dinner, before dinner, or right after work. Come to think of it, I really don't drink any alcohol, Buck always did that. He would have the odd beer after dinner or later in the evening. But I think his favorite was Bourbon.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool

I love beer with my food, don't really like drinking it otherwise. Guinness is a nice beer, not really for the taste, but it contains many nutrients such iron and vitamin B12. Apparently it is given to post-op patients to help them recover :)

Gin & tonic is lovely, my favourite, with a slice of orange.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
The JoJo said:
Going to (Tallinna is in Lithuania) Tallinna has become more usual during the last years, as everything has been very cheap there after it became independent. Lot's of pirated stuff (movies, music, games, clothes..) on sale there some years ago, but it's quieting down a bit know.

Now now JoJo, I'm sure You meant Estonia, didn't You? :D

Jan

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't drink alcohol at all. Frankly, I don't know how you guys stand it, from the way it smells.

Is Estonia one of those European conutries that looks like nothing's changed since the late Renaissance? Or has it a more modern flavor?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Estonia was part of the defunct Soviet Union. It has modernized rather well since the breakup of the Soviet Union, and was asked to join the EU in 2004. Also has a strong economy fueled by Finnish companies relocating operations there.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I *know* that much. I'm thinking more about the old European flavor.
For example: a lot of movies nowadays film in Prague to simulate Victorian London.