Synology DSM 4.3 upgrade to DSM 5.0

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It's been a while since I've done that. I have a Synology NAS with synchronisation issue to another unit with a more recent DSM version. The older unit is using DSM 4.3, while the newer one is running version 5.0.xxx. The plan is to upgrade both to the latest version (5.2.xxx).

I do not remember if I risk losing either the data or the configuration when I perform the DSM update on the NAS. Synology stuff is rather well made, so I don't think it will mess with the data already on the NAS, but I prefer to ask for advices rather than assuming I don't risk anything and end up being screwed.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Yes it helps. At least I'll have some kind of how-to guide in case it refuses to perform the udgrade via the web UI.

Thanks.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I went around and did OS updates on my few Synology boxes after Heartbleed became a known issue, but mine are all just stand-alone NASes that only talk to client PCs.
I pulled the drives before I did the OS update as standard practice. I don't remember having any issues.

ddrueding

Fixture
I went to 5.2 on a bunch of them without issue. The only Synology-based sync I use is their Time Backup, and it worked more reliably when they were all on the same and latest version.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The automated upgrade didn't work for the passage from DSM 4.3 to 5.0, but the manual upgrade from the web GUI did the trick. The upgrade from 5.0 to 5.2 was a breeze.

No data or configuration were lost.