System Stuffed!

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Arrgh! Every time I try to view most folders in teh Explorer, the system locks up and must be rebotted. The drive appears to be OK in the hardware, but anyything or utility that accesses the entrie drie kuills explorer. So the quetion is whether this is simply a filesystem corruptuion or is the drive scrwejd? It is a 300GB data drive and I don;t have a spare to swap out. The bcakup os over 26 hours old, but nothing critical was dobne since. Should I blow away tgh drive parturitions or I am hopless?

TIA

LOST6200

Storage is cool
No, there is only one desktop PC and it is one of the new-fangled SATA drives for which I have no external enclosure. :( Could spyware affect only the E: drive? I restored the C: drive image (ancient 15k.3) to no avail. I guess I'll have to repartiton the drive in qyuestion and hope that backups are OK. Beyond the usual Windows tools and Nortonian crap, which utilitatros can test the drive in Windows?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Doesn't matter as long as the problems on drive E: are still repeatable: The new event logs will probably have errors in them too.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
The situation was hopless so I wiped the data drive. :( If it haprens again I am totally doomed.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Well f*ck me, it is happening again. :( Now it is clear that the drive is spinning down and then spinning up again. I tried another powder connector, but they are SATA and seem to fit OK. The drive is warm, but too hot, so I don't knwo waht else do to but to replace it. This timing is the worst, since I wanted to replace the 300Gb with a 500GB drive in a few months anyway. I think the only 500GB drives availablie now are Hibachi 7K500. If I purchase one the other 200GB would be wasted until a 500GB Maxtor ATA-133 drive would be available as the bcakup, whenever that would be. Of couser ther other option would be to get the 500Gb as the backup but that is carzy sinc ethe two 400GB 7200.8 woudl be the primary slower drives, even compared to another 250Gb slill spinning as the foruth primary drive. Now I am unusally stressed after only 22 hours straight. I have only 4TB of drive by the computer here now, but they are too msny to mathematically comptrehend.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Well f*ck me, it is happening again. :( Now it is clear that the drive is spinning down and then spinning up again. I tried another powder connector, but they are SATA and seem to fit OK. The drive is warm, but too hot, so I don't knwo waht else do to but to replace it. This timing is the worst, since I wanted to replace the 300Gb with a 500GB drive in a few months anyway. I think the only 500GB drives availablie now are Hibachi 7K500. If I purchase one the other 200GB would be wasted until a 500GB Maxtor ATA-133 drive would be available as the bcakup, whenever that would be. Of couser ther other option would be to get the 500Gb as the backup but that is carzy sinc ethe two 400GB 7200.8 woudl be the primary slower drives, even compared to another 250Gb slill spinning as the foruth primary drive. Now I am unusally stressed after only 22 hours straight. I have only 4TB of drive by the computer here now, but they are too msny to mathematically comptrehend.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
LOST6200 said:
Hibachi 7K500
llmao.gif

Sorry to laugh Eric, but even with recognizing your normal fanciful method of sprinkling typos through your posts, that one made me bust up.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
I am jut so tired of of time and money spent of computers; they make me sick. :(

I could not take it anymore so I went to the CompUSA and stood in line with the masses and bought a 300GB ATA-133 drive. The 300GB SATA was $50 more for some reason and I really have no use for the (relatively) small 300GB SATA drive in the long run. Of course I noticed later that it is old stock from November 2004. I have no idea if the drive has basically no warranty left or if the new 3-year warranties are based on the date of purchase. Anyway, I will waste more than two hours copying 230GB of files.

The other question remains - what to do with the bad drive. If it operates long ebough to run IBM Wipe, do you think that feel is it sufficient before whipping the drive off to Matrox for repair? I don't think Maxtor cares about the data and if the package happens to get lost by FedEx what are the odds that someone would try to recover anything? Alternatively I could throw it in the trash.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm wondering if the BIOS or operating system has trouble recognizing a drive that large? IIRC XP won't untill it is patched.

Bozo :mrgrn:

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I only planned to use WIPE on the first part of the drive. Of course the entire drive could be wiped in Windows if I thought it would run that long. ;)

LOST6200

Storage is cool
The OS is Win2K, and it was patched not too long after obtaining the 160GB D540X - maybe late 2001 or early 2002.

tazwegion

Learning Storage Performance
Not that I'm an expert with storage devices or anything... but when my brother-in-laws P4 (HP vomitbox) came to live with us for a while, it ended up having similar issues to yours and finally dieing, the problem in this particular case was heat, the HDD was actually mounted vertically (a disgusting new trend :() against the anterior facia/panel of the PC case :eek: and thus poor air flow to HDD resulted (curse you Hardly Normal!), thankfully it was on some warranty plan (arm & leg over 3 years :p) and thus was replaced with another Ewwww... Maxtor, my least favourite drive manufacturer :roll:

AFAIK warranty begins @ purchase date... RMA that POS! ;)