blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I have a palomino 1700+ and a Duron 1.3. I'm all about quiet and these look like great coolers for the price... I may even run them below stock speed considering the not so heavy load.

...Both computers are now folding constantly

Current temps:

Palomino 1700+
CPU: 119F (Coolermaster generic 60mm HSF @3300 RPM)
Case: 86-89F

Duron 1.3
CPU: ~122F (Duron retail 60mm HSF ... i would guess @4000-5000RPM)
Case: ~90F

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've got four of them now. I really like the design. MUCH quieter than AMD's retail fan, and they run my CPUs cooler, too. I'm glad someone took my word for it.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
arg... I mistakenly ordered http://www.spirecoolers.com/asp/fcc.asp?ProdID=73

The Whisper Rock III(instead of the FalconRock II)... As far as I can tell the fan is ~300RPM faster, the heatsink is all aluminum(no copper base) and the clip is single instead of 3 position.

I suppose the performance is very similar with a noise difference that is probably within the margin of error for the HSF unit.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Let me get this straight: you're going to underclock a CPU used for folding? How dare you! :crucified:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
NRG, when did that post get here? underclock?

Anyway, just wanted to say that newegg.com no longer carries this fantastic CPU cooler (the WhisperRock III) they still have some other speeze models that you might be interested in... anybody know if you can custom order from newegg.com?

But i was just so happy with the WhisperRock III.. it was very quiet and very well performing.. not to mention a third the price of comparable heatsinks...

I had to give up one of my whisper rocks because the orientation of this mini tower prevents any heatsink taller than the AMD retail HSF.. but the other one is running great at ~2200 RPM's in my main PC.. keeping temps lower than before with a fraction of the noise.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I have a palomino 1700+ and a Duron 1.3. I'm all about quiet and these look like great coolers for the price... I may even run them below stock speed considering the not so heavy load

You said you might run them below stock speed, I now see you meant the fans, not the processors :)

Mercutio

I'm really very annoyed that newegg has dropped that cooler. I can't find 'em through pricewatch, either. For the money they were absolutely perfect .

Reading this today was kind of a downer. Maybe there will be a replacement product soon...

double bit CRC error

What is this storage?
I know a guy in canada that can get the falconRock... it's very similar... personally i thought the falconRock II looked the best out of the three, with it's copper core and 3 position clip...

I am gonna email newegg and see if they can special order speeze/spire products or if they know who i can contact at speeze reguarding buying these HSF's

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Merc, this ought to brighten up your day.... aparently newegg reanamed most of their Speeze stuff to Spire(durr).. even though you can clearly see the pictures show the "Speeze" name...

so.. it looks like they now have the "Spire" whisperRock III.. woopy! Ima get myself a low profile CPU for my server now that I know newegg caries Spire!

woopeee!

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Groltz said:
Mercutio said:
I'm really very annoyed that newegg has dropped that cooler.

Which one, exactly? The Whisperrock III PN-5F263B1M3? The Falconrock II PN-5F271B1L3 ?

Talk to me, Merc. :poke: :wink:

Also, check this out:

Speeze is a sub-company of the Fanner Group, along with Spire which has very similar heatsinks to Speeze. In this instance, the Speeze Raptorcool I is equivalent to a Spire FalconRock II...
-------->Speeze RaptorCool I Review<--------

Mercutio

Either of the above, Groltz. I have three WhisperRocks and one FalconRock. They're all more than adequate for my needs. Quiet CPU fans are really a good thing. I'm keen to buy more next time I happen to get a chance.

I know I'm not an overclocker, but really, these guys do the job, much like the review says.

Mercutio

Newegg still has Speeze coolers!

If anyone is still interested, doing a "search" for Speeze on newegg.com got me to the full list. Makes me wonder what else they carry that isn't linked on their catalog.

I had two of the big guys shipped out today.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
lol, they just changed em to spire for awhile then changed them back to speeze...

I still havent emailed them about special ordering speeze products... i don't know if I will because I pieced a retail FAN with a coolermaster HSF and got a decent result that is small enough to fit in this mini tower that my Duron runs in... so i no longer require the speeze low profile HSF I was looking at.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm using the HSFs that came with a couple of retail P3-800s I bought circa 12/2000 (awright, cut out the laughing now). Anybody know where I can find the specs of these HSFs so I can compare them with the Speezes? If I can get better/same cooling for lower noise I'll switch.

Thanks.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
If they're retail intel HSF's for pIII's I assume the fans are 60mm... moving to 80mm will allow your fans to spin at less RPM's while pushing the same air... so the noise becomes less intense and also usually lowers in pitch to a quiet hum.

The WhisperRock III (Model 5F263B1M3 available from newegg.com) uses an 80mm fan that spins at ~2960RPM's... if your current fans are spinning slower than this while keeping your CPU temps appropriate I wouldn't worry...

My coolermaster HSF was keeping my CPU temps down... but was too loud... plus the fan was starting to die.. so I figured I should invest in a 80mm fan HSF... By default the Speeze cooler was quieter AND a better cooler than my coolermaster... but still audible...

I had already spent the money on a adjustable fan speed switch ( http://www.thermaltake.com/products/accessories/switch.htm ) .. so i bumped the fan down to low... unfortunately at that slow of RPM's (~1500)my Soyo thinks the fan is dead and wont boot... so I put the fan on medium(2200rpm)... the HSF is barely (if at all) audible over the other noises in my case and cools slightly better than the coolermaster did.

So.. if you want better cooling... maybe this is for you.. maybe it isn't... if you want quieter operation while keeping acceptable temps this is a great cooler by default and an excellent cooler once you get a switch...

I wish I could get the FalconRock II... has a slightly slower fan and a copper core... the only improvement I can see would be to have an adjustable fan or "smart fan" on the thing, otherwise it's perfect.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
This Spire/Speeze FalconrockII does indeed sound intriguing. If you haven't seen the review already, check out what Dan had to say.

double bit CRC error said:
I know a guy in canada that can get the falconRock...
dbCe: would you be able to find where he's getting them from?

Cheers, CK

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
CityK said:
This Spire/Speeze FalconrockII does indeed sound intriguing. If you haven't seen the review already, check out what Dan had to say.

double bit CRC error said:
I know a guy in canada that can get the falconRock...
dbCe: would you be able to find where he's getting them from?

Cheers, CK

he quoted me the price today.. it was >$40... what a rip...

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Groltz said:
Falconrock II for sale in USA....$13.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=falcon+2

They are calling it a "Falcon 2" but it appears to be a Spire/Speeze Falconrock II.

Nice find.

it's obvious that the pictures show a Spire falconRock II... the listed manuf.(cables unlimited) apears to rebadge all their coolers... here's more of their stuff
http://www.cablesunlimited.com/category_pages/fans.html

Unfortunately the falconRock is not listed on there.. maybe it's discontinued?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
blakerwry said:
he quoted me the price today.. it was >$40... what a rip...
Blake, who was it that quoted you that price - dbEc or his friend? Was the quote in US$ (now that would be extremely excessive) or Cdn funds (which would still be excessive)? .... Although I did glance through one review last week looking for a link to a supplier and it gives 30US/46Cdn figures...Note I think it was changed as I could have sworn the first time I saw it was 40Cdn...which I didn't like then...like it even less for now that I see its listed as $46. There's no way I'd bother at those prices when something like the TT Vol 7+ can be had for less.

My first (very short) search, via google, for a Cdn retailer stocking the Falconrock II came up blank...tomorrow I'll give it an honest attempt...too tired right now. But I'm hoping that, if one can get them in the US for ~15US, I might be able to find one here ~25Cdn.

I'm really curious about these. I'm guessing that they aren't going to be the best kept secret for very long.

Unfortunately the falconRock is not listed on there.. maybe it's discontinued?
I don't think so...both I & II are still on spires web page.

CK

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i think he said it was $46 CDN... my friend didnt say the store... I figured it was not worth it...

i I don't think so...both I & II are still on spires web page.

That's not what I meant...

Speeze/Spire probably still make them, but CablesUnlimited might have stopped re-badging them. IMO, the more places that stock them the better.... these things really are great coolers, I don't know why they aren't more popular.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
ahh..I had interpreted it as you wondering if CU stopped rebadging them because fanner/spire/speeze discontinued making them...

CK

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
mubs said:
I'm using the HSFs that came with a couple of retail P3-800s I bought circa 12/2000 (awright, cut out the laughing now). Anybody know where I can find the specs of these HSFs so I can compare them with the Speezes? If I can get better/same cooling for lower noise I'll switch.

Thanks.

just cureous, what did you decide to do?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The easiest thing - nothing. I'm drowning in things to do; I'll revisit this issue in a week or so. Thanks for following up, though :D !

SteveC

Storage is cool
Fedex came very early today, so I got a chance to install one of these, this morning. I replaced a retail HSF for my Duron 850, that ran at an irritating 6250RPM. I have it clocked at 935, and my ASUS A7V133 reported the temperature as 59C (this board reports the CPU temperature about 10C above actual temperature), while running F@H. In the summer, it would go up to the high 60's C. Right now, it's running at 49C, and the MB temperature is 32C. Now, the loudest thing in this case is the power supply fan, but I want to get a better CPU before I worry about that.

miksmi

What is this storage?
digit-life Socket A HSF review

Blake, thanks for sharing your experience.

Mercutio, thanks for reporting your great find. I'm not an overclocker and the Spire FalconRock II looks like a good fit for my application.

This is a great forum! I'll try to add to the knowledge base:

digit-life wrote a thorough review 65 Socket A Coolers Benchmarking, 2002-2003 . Though not a surprise to Mercutio, the Spire FalconRock II scored 4th best in "Effectiveness/Noise Rating" (Diagram 4) and 2nd best in the "Functionality/Price Rating" (Diagram 5).

Cheers,

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
miksmi said:
I'm not an overclocker and the Spire FalconRock II looks like a good fit for my application.
Even if you were an avid OC, the Dan'sdata review of this cooler suggests that the FalconRock II would be an excellent candidate.

Cheers, CK

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
This Speeze cooler with 2500RPM fan should have plenty of cooling capacity for a Duron 1100 even in a poorly ventilated (no fan except PSU) mid-tower, right? I'm also throwing a Radeon 7000 64MB in there....this is for my pops.

C

SteveC

Storage is cool
Clocker said:
This Speeze cooler with 2500RPM fan should have plenty of cooling capacity for a Duron 1100 even in a poorly ventilated (no fan except PSU) mid-tower, right? I'm also throwing a Radeon 7000 64MB in there....this is for my pops.

It should be fine. I have mine in an old, poorly ventilated Inwin case (circa 1997), in a room with high temperatures (currently about 80F), and it keeps the CPU cooler than the retail heat sink.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Clocker said:

C

I forget how many degrees above case tems my cooler keeps my CPU... but it's aprox 20 F (Palomino 1700+)

The Palomino is an Athlon model 6 while the Duron 1.1 is a model 7... both use the same voltage, but the Durons are spec'd to run a bit cooler.

So as long as your case temps aren't hitting 110F I think you'll be fine.... if they're hitting 110F I think you'll need to worry about other things.