The end-of-2003 PC Config Thread

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm thinking that it's the end of the year, and for the greatest portion of it, we haven't been through our usual, ongoing discussion about PC building and price points and best parts for the money.

So...

What's everyone who builds PCs from time to time putting in their systems right now?

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
I am rebuilding/upgrading my PC at this moment because I did a very foolish thing :oops:
Because my Athlon 1.4GHz is running very hot (it came installed with stock heat sink), I decided to change the heat sink. At the last stage of trying to put the new heat sink/fan clips back on, my screw driver slipped and made a very long and deep gouge on the motherboard. I just stood there speechless for several minutes, and then a long stream of curses and swearing! :evil: Following CougTek's favourite quote, I threw the hammer at the damaged motherboard :mrgrn:
I have no choice but to order a new motherboard through the internet:
Abit NF-7S - New
AMD Athlon XP 2.5GHz (Barton core) - New
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro - New
2x256Mb Corsair PC2100 (from my old system)
Western Digital 80Gb 8Mb cache (from my old system)
Usual generic keyboard and mouse, and staying my my old trusty Sony 21" monitor.

Are Abit boards any good? I think Tony/Tannin/Tea have strong opinions about Abit boards :wink: but this motherboard is a cheap&nasty&quick fix for my silly mistake. I think my RAM will hold me back but I have no plans to overclock at this moment (and also the RAM prices here are not as cheap as in the states). The 9500 Pro I got very cheap because the vendor is getting rid of them for the next generation of video cards.

Cheers,
Edward

Mercutio

My last few builds have been:

Shuttle AN35N-Ultra
XP2700
Crucial 512MB PC2700
Samsung SP1213N or SP1614N (8MB cache models)
OptoRite DD0203 Dual Format DVD Burner -or- LiteOn LTC-48161H (DVD/CD-RW combo)
64MB Sapphire 7000 or 9200 VIVO (price difference is $25 for video-in)

These are builds coming in at $650 to $800.

*Everyone* wants a DVD burner right now. They see 'em in the store for $250 (which the Sony units still are, at retail), and mine are $115 and, well, it doesn't take any arm-twisting to get them sold.
The VIVO cards have been a weird bonus. I sold two out of my last five builds with them. Older adults seem to really like the idea of putting their home movies onto DVDs.

Mercutio

Gigabyte boards have a plastic coating in the areas around the CPU to keep that sort of damage from happening, EdwardK. One of the little touches that keeps 'em at the top of my "buy" list.

Tannin and myself have both voiced negative opinions of Abit in the past (and we probably aren't the only ones), but when it came time to put together all the donations that went to Handruin, it was an NF7S that made its way from California to Indiana to Doug's PC.

I'm sure we'd've heard if Handruin had any problem with it. ;)

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I probably don't qualify, but...

DFI P2XLX motherboard (brand new): circa $15
Intel PII SECC2 350MHz CPU (like new): $4
InWin desktop case with Fortron PSU (brand new): circa $25
Conner 1.2GB hard disk (used): free
32MB PC66 DIMM (brand new): been lying in a drawer for years

It's currently running OpenBSD 3.3, and for now is running as a DHCP server and occasionally as a software testbed. I'm hoping to turn it into a bridge (with a firewall) within the next couple of months. I'm glad OpenBSD 3.4 has arrived.

I picked up a total of 3 of those motherboards. So far they appear to be really good boards - the only tiny drawback I've run into is that they support a 333MHz CPU at the most, so I have to slightly underclock those speed-demon 350's.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Mercutio said:
OptoRite DD0203 Dual Format DVD Burner -or- LiteOn LTC-48161H (DVD/CD-RW combo)

*Everyone* wants a DVD burner right now. They see 'em in the store for $250 (which the Sony units still are, at retail), and mine are $115 and, well, it doesn't take any arm-twisting to get them sold.
How are those DVD burners as compared to the current Pioneer/Sony every raves about? As I mentioned in another thread, I'm considering a burner but with the DLs coming out in a few months I may try to hold off. But if I can get a good burner for <$125, then it becomes a pocket change expense (or on the xmas list) and I can take that plunge now.

Mercutio

They APPEAR to me to be OEM'd Sony burners. I'm not sure. I've installed a few dozen of them. Optorite is at the utter bottom of the barrel, down with Cyberdrive and MSI, in the CD-ROM department, but I'm pretty sure their DVD writers are OEM'd units by any other name. They come with a full year warranty and I get mine through newegg, which is enough of a warm fuzzy for me that I'm willing to take a chance.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I have a Cyberdrive CD burner and it works great. Never burned a coaster on it and that's after burning at least 1000 discs. Cheap doesn't always mean low quality.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Tbred-B 1800+ (born to run above 2.0 GHz / 2500+)
ThermalTake SilentBoost HSF
Abit NF-7S (sATA) or Soltek 75FRN-2L (no sATA)
WD Raptor or Seagate 7200.7 (depending on sATA support)
512 MB PC3200
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (if you can miraculously still get it)
Antec Sonata case

Mercutio

e_dawg, would you actually sell an overclocked config to a customer?

Is anyone using the new 1.6 and 1.7GHz Durons?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I just want to state my strong reserves against anything from Optorite. Adding to my poor experience with one of their burners (a 32X model), recent reviews (of their CD-RW burners, not seen anything about their DVD burners) show that their media compatibility and writing quality (C1 errors number) is below average. If I'm to sell a DVD burner, it will almost certainly be a Lite-On, be it only because they regularly release firmware updates for their drives, therefore showing that they do invest in their products development and support far more than the average optical drive manufacturer.

And yes, the Abit NF7-S is a very good motherboard, just like the nForce 2-based GigaByte. Ask Handruin about it.

For budget boxes, I still go with Athlon XP configuration, because they do the job and you simply can't build something just as cheap with Intel processors (excluding Celeron, but I'll be dead before I sell a Celeron again, at least one with a laughable amount of cache such as the 128K variety).

For higher-end stuff, it depends on what the customer plans to do. P4 platforms are currently more mature than the few socket-754 now in sale. So I would probably opt for a Pentium 4-C above an Athlon 64 for the moment. In mid-January, I will probably sing another song.

And Radeon 9500 Pro are rather hard to find nowadays. Radeon 9600 Pro and XT are everywhere, dissipate a little less heat and offer comparable performances (comparable in that the user won't be able to tell the difference).

Last but not least, I'm very proud of being someone who can brag to have international influence, even as far as Australia.

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
Gigabyte boards have a plastic coating in the areas around the CPU to keep that sort of damage from happening, EdwardK. One of the little touches that keeps 'em at the top of my "buy" list.

Tannin and myself have both voiced negative opinions of Abit in the past (and we probably aren't the only ones), but when it came time to put together all the donations that went to Handruin, it was an NF7S that made its way from California to Indiana to Doug's PC.

I'm sure we'd've heard if Handruin had any problem with it. ;)

The setup you guys donated has been running perfect. (Many thanks again!) This machine has been on 24x7 (minus one week) running F@H since the day after the parts came through the door. I don't have any current problems with this machine except for my ATI card. (read more below)

Edward, the config you listed is almost identical to the machine I have here. Keep an eye on your radeon 9500 Pro. In the support section, I complained about 2 faulty cards and how I worked around the issue. I purchased the card as a new retail card from the store.

System:

Abit NF7-S
Althon XP 2200 + (Thoroughbred A)
1GB PC2700 Crucial memory (2x512MB)
ATI 9500 Pro retail
2x WD 800JB (8MB cache) One connected to SATA controller using seriallel converter.
Antec 830SX case
Samsung DVD-ROM
Pioneer A06 DVD+/-RW
NEC 1760V LCD

Parts

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
e_dawg, would you actually sell an overclocked config to a customer?
Not unless they asked for it... but hey, I'm not a retailer anyways (or even a freelancer/consultant like yourself), so my proposed config doesn't take "the customer/client" into account. Were you specifically looking for configurations that are suitable for sale to a customer?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i havent built a new machine in awhile, but I've kept decently up to date on what's available. I like the pentium 4c CPUs or the Athlon XPs at or below 2400+.

There have been a couple revisions of the nforce2 chipset as well as several revisions of popular nforce mobos, so if I buy an Nforce2 I'd be looking for one that guarantees an Nforce2 Ultra chipset.

I might have put 256MB in a computer a year ago, but would have recomended 512 for a gamer or "power user"... 512MB is pretty much standard for me for a while. That would be in a single DIMM from kingston or Crucial. Dual channel performance seems more of a gimmick and less of something that actually improves performance in any machine I would put together.

An OEM ATi Radeon 9200 or 9600 would probably be my graphics card of choice depending on whether the person was a gamer or not.

I'm all for onboard sound and NIC if I can get it.. if not, a $10 linksys, netgear, or Dlink NIC would be fine... not sure on what I'd recomend for a sound card anymore. The TBSC seems so outdated at over 4 years old, but I hate to recomend creative sound cards... perhaps an audigy would be a decent soun d card for a gamer though.

I recomend logitech multimedia keyboards and optical wheel mice from either logitech or microsoft.

Monitors are hightly personal. If the person has the money I'd recomend an LCD, if not a 17" CRT of medium quality... NEC/Mitsubishi, Sony, KDS, Viewsonic or Samsung are brands I'd recomend.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I'll be building a computer for my wife for Christmas. The specs are tentatively

MSI K7N2 Delta-L (Nforce 2) or MSI KT6-Delta LSR (KT600)
XP 2500 or 2600 333MHz FSB, Barton core
2*256 MB Crucial PC3200
ATi 9600 Pro 128 MB
sound is onboard the motherboard
WD2000JB (just got it as her old HD is dying)
DVD is a recycled one from her current computer
CD-RW is a TDK Velocity 52/24/52 I've got laying around
she'll continue to use her 19" Gateway (Sony?) monitor

It seems strage that I should be getting her a graphics card with 128 MB of memory, seeing as how she does office and light Photoshop work. But I'm not sure I can do better for the money (~$138 for the 9600 Pro/128).

Comments are welcome and encouraged.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
The 9000, 9100, or 9200 non-pro will probably be just as good for her (if not better because they are usually passive and thus make less noise), come with 64MB of RAM usually and will cost about half.

I dont see why you're buying a "gamer" card for someone who does not game. The only difference between these cards is their 3D speed/ability. 2D should be identical.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Adcadet said:
MSI K7N2 Delta-L (Nforce 2) or MSI KT6-Delta LSR (KT600)

[...]

Comments are welcome and encouraged.
I avoid MSI since the reliability problems they had with their KT133A-based motherboards. They might be ok now, but I'm still sceptical.

Handruin

Administrator
I'll agree MSI's BIOS updates such, but my K7T Pro2a is still running right next to me after 3 years. (which was highly recommended from folks at SR at that time)

I'm slightly concerned that a few of the motherboard capacitors are becoming rusted on top. Even though this board runs perfect, I would likely not buy another one because of terrible BIOS problems I've had.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Gigabyte 7n400 Pro II
Athlon XP Barton 2500+ 333 FSB (easily overclocked to 3200+ with 400 FSB)
Speeze FalconRock 5F286B CPU fan
2x (256MB or 512MB) Crucial PC3200 DDR
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
WD2500JB (Good rebates right now)
Antec (non Slk - Solution series) case and PS

While these are not state-of-the-art components the quality is there and the prices are reasonable.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
got my wife's HD in the mail today. I ordered it from Hypermicro on Sunday night and it was here on Wednesday (but nobody was home so it was actually received today). We shipped UPS ground, and got free shipping. I'm very impressed with Hypermicro. WD2000JB $179 shipped.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I just want to tell to Mark not to worry if nobody comments his post in this thread. It won't be because no one cares about your participation, it will be because no one will argue it's a good value.

Just making sure our veteran don't fall into depression due to lack of reply...

Adcadet

Storage Freak
P5-133XL said:
Gigabyte 7n400 Pro II
Athlon XP Barton 2500+ 333 FSB (easily overclocked to 3200+ with 400 FSB)
Speeze FalconRock 5F286B CPU fan
2x (256MB or 512MB) Crucial PC3200 DDR
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
WD2500JB (Good rebates right now)
Antec (non Slk - Solution series) case and PS

While these are not state-of-the-art components the quality is there and the prices are reasonable.

Hmm...if people have reservations about MSI boards, and Mark is using a Gigabyte 7n400 Pro II, maybe I should consider that..... The wife I'm building for my wife looks remarkably similar (2500 Barton, Crucial RAM, Radion 9600, WD Caviar Special Ed.)....maybe I should also look into an Antec Solution Series case....

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Adcadet said:
The wife I'm building for my wife looks remarkably similar
Android?

Adcadet said:
maybe I should also look into an Antec Solution Series case

Acadet, incase you mis-read me - I do not like the Antec solution series cases: They are not built to the quality standards of the other Antec cases. They are lower in cost however.

I do like any non solution series Antec case.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Adcadet said:
got my wife's HD in the mail today. I ordered it from Hypermicro on Sunday night and it was here on Wednesday (but nobody was home so it was actually received today). We shipped UPS ground, and got free shipping. I'm very impressed with Hypermicro. WD2000JB $179 shipped.

Missed out on the Dell deal for IIRC ~$30 after $200 in rebates?

SteveC

Storage is cool
Pradeep said:
Adcadet said:

Missed out on the Dell deal for IIRC ~$30 after $200 in rebates?

Damn. When was this?

Mercutio

Gigabyte boards are really just about as nice as things get without moving into Tyan/SuperMicro workstation boards. Little touches like color coding all the connectors on the front I/O header, rounding the edges of the board and the aforemention plastic coating around the ZIF socket add up to something really special.

Current nforce2-based Gigabyte boards are a little pricey. The base KT600 and SiS-based(1) boards are nice though.

There's about $5 price difference between the nForce2 Ultra board from Shuttle and the entry-level 7VT600-L from Gigabyte.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
feel free to disregard everything I've said tonight. I'm in the process of cramming for my histology midterm, and I am clearly not thinking straight. Unfortunately, my exam is Saturday morning (!) and thus you may have to put up with my lack of coherency for the next 32 hours or so.

Allow me to clarify: I'm building a computer for my wife. My wife, a real live female human being, is in need of a computer. Well, she doesn't need a computer, but would appreciate a new one for her computing needs.

And I note that Mark does not like the Antec Solution Series cases, but is generally accepting of the other Antec cases. I will make it a point to look into the non-Solution Series Antec cases.

Please refrain from using various smiley faces, as they remind me of mis-colored monocytes and are very distracting to me right now.

Good night.
Adcadet

Mercutio

Apparently A.D. is building a robot woman that likes other women. I've been down that road and it's really not pretty. If anything, he must be building two robot women, although that leads to some confusion about what he's doing for his wife. Hopefully there's a little man for her already.