The future of storage technology ?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Magnets Are the Future of Data Storage

I doubt this is the future on th edesktop but it is interesting nonetheless....

A 'plastic' magnet that responds to light could lead to new ways of storing and reading large amounts of computer data. Light would be used to store information in cheap, fast and high capacity 'magneto-optic' memories.

According to Nature, the light-switchable magnet is the first to be made from organic (carbon-based) molecules. Its discoverers, Arthur Epstein of Ohio State University in Columbus and Joel Miller of the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, should be able to use clever chemical tricks to fine-tune the properties of the material.

Their first goal is to raise the temperature at which the magnetic switching operates. Currently, the material works only when cooled to below -198 degrees C. While, this temperature sounds impractically low, it is within spitting distance of the temperature at which nitrogen liquefies: -196 degrees C.

A relatively cheap refrigerant, liquid nitrogen could quite feasibly be used to cool commercial devices incorporating a modified light-sensitive magnet, Epstein and colleagues hope. Magnetic memories store information in tiny 'magnetized domains', where magnetic field lines points either 'up' or 'down'. This allows magnetic media to store the binary (zeros and ones) data of the digital world. In conventional magnetic memories, the direction of the magnetic field is switched electronically; magneto-optic systems do the switching with light, usually from lasers.

There is nothing new about magneto-optic memories. Some commercial hard-disk drives already exist that use light to read and write information stored in magnetic films. But in these systems the laser switches the magnetic medium by warming it.

Epstein and colleagues' material contains manganese atoms mixed with small organic molecules, and becomes more magnetic when it absorbs blue light. The light alters the shape of the organic molecules, changing their magnetic properties.

The researchers can reverse the effect either by shining green light on the material or by heating it above -23 degrees C. In a future memory device, information could be encoded in the material as regions of 'stronger' or 'weaker' magnetism, which could be written and erased using tightly focused lasers. This could lead to information storage at very high densities.

Epstein told Nature.com that he admits that applications of this effect are still a long way off, the organic magnet needs a lot of improvement before it has the properties demanded of commercial devices.

Source: Ohio State University; University of Utah; Nature

Cosmiverse is the Premier Internet Destination for space and science fans..

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Interesting idea, but it has to be made to operate at room temperature. If the effect reverses above -23° C, you're basically screwed if the refrigeration system gives out.

I think the future of storage is non-volatile RAM. There are a bunch of contenders using various technologies, and it'll be awhile before any become cheap enough to compete with conventional hard disks. Holographic storage is another possibility as well.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I keep looking at this thread and thinking I ought to have something to contribute. But ... I just don't follow that high-tech stuff closely enough. Can't see the forest for the trees, I guess.

Corvair

Learning Storage Performance
There are all sorts of different experimental storage technologies targeting different applications. Even though the various hard drive technologies being developed are all interesting (e.g. -- "Pixie Dust" et al), some of the most interesting is actually what's happening with WORM technologies such as holographic (optical tape, fluorescent multi-layer disc, optical card) and electron beam writers (HD-ROM).

[/b]

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I hope that storage devices with no mecanical parts will soon be release at a reasonnable prices and sufficient capacities and speed so that we can use them in mainstream computer systems. The mecanical parts of today's hard drives are the main reasons explaining the huge latency to access most stored data and the high failure rates comparatively to other all-electronic components.

I'm sure there would be a way to develop a cheap and very dense non-volatile memory-based storage device if serious efforts would be put into it. But the industry simply doesn't seem to be willing to develop such a device for now.

Corvair

CougTek said:
...The mecanical parts of today's hard drives are the main reasons explaining the huge latency to access most stored data and the high failure rates comparatively to other all-electronic components.
I'd take the latency of a current hard drive technologies over the rotten throughput of solid state Compact Flash Memory.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I wasn't necessarily refering to Compact-Flash memory when I wrote "very dense non-volatile memory-based storage device". There are other technologies in development that feature a more acceptable troughput than compact-flash memory. Holographic-type of storage devices aren't slow IIRC. It's still in development, but I hope for the best.

Corvair

CougTek said:
I wasn't necessarily refering to Compact-Flash memory when I wrote "very dense non-volatile memory-based storage device". There are other technologies in development that feature a more acceptable troughput than compact-flash memory. Holographic-type of storage devices aren't slow IIRC. It's still in development, but I hope for the best.
The only secondary storage media that's using a holographic encoding technique being worked on with any major (serious) effort at this time are all moving mechanical media (spinning disc and streaming tape), with the exception of a "credit card" medium where the read/write head moves across the medium. These storage media are all WORM.

Estimates in the late 1990s were that right about "now" (2001 / 2002) was when holographic storage would finally be make its debut as a commercially viable storage product. It still hasn't happened. I would have to guess that since R&D money and venture capital financing has dried up significantly over the past 2 years that we are now looking at the probability of a 2004 / 2005 debut for one of these media to finally make its way into the commercial marketplace. My guess as to which: The holographic "card" followed fairly closely by optical tape. Probably the most anticipated of the three will be the disc product. But, that will probably now be put off for a bit longer so as to bring storage capacity (i.e. -- more layers) above whatever it is now (??? 100 GB ???).

BlueRay Disc, with 23 GB, 25 GB, or 27 GB of storage capacity -- and eventually up to 30 GB or even 50 GB storage capacity -- will probably arrive sometime in 2004. To make a holographic disc product competitive with the all-new BlueRay Disc, the holographic disc storage backers will need show significant capability with their product -- namely something like 100 GB ~ 200 GB of storage capacity, 40 MB or higher sustained data throughput, and hopefully at a competitive price point (hardware and media).