The new iPad - iPad 3

Handruin

Administrator
Some may have seen, the iPad 3 has been announced or is still currently being announced.

The basics:

• Retina display @2048 x 1536 (264ppi)
  • A5X processor is confirmed, quad-core graphics
  • 5-megapixel backside illuminated sensor on the back, 5-element lens, IR filter, and ISP built into ​the A5X chip
  • 1080p video recording with stability
  • 4G LTE
  • voice dictation
  • 9.4mm thin
  • weighing 1.4lbs
  • 10 hours of battery life still, 9 hours on 4G
  • Verizon, Rogers, Bell, Telus and AT&T will be the LTE partners.
  • Supports US English, British, Australian, French, German and Japanese.
  • no new Dock Connector.
  • No SD slot

• Same prices as current iPad
  • $499 for 16GB
  • 32GB is $599
  • 64GB for $699
  • 4G it's $629, $729 and $829
  • available on March 16th.

Last edited:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's that 1.4lb. weight that I find bothersome. That resolution is much, much better than the ipad2, but as an e-reader or a camera, what the hell do you want with something that weighs two thirds of a kilogram?

Well, and it still runs iOS. Maybe some Android hackers will fix that part though. :)

Handruin

Administrator
I agree on the weight. My hand gets tired with the Kindle Fire and it's less than 1lb (14.6 oz or 0.413kg). The part I like the best is the improved screen. I hope this pushes other tablet-makers to do something similar.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Dual core A5X CPU with quad graphics cores. Tegra 3 (not used in the iPad obviously) has a 12 core GPU.

The iPad 2 still sold at $399/529 16gb optional 3G still.

iPhoto with publish to the internet looks interesting.

Mercutio

I agree on the weight. My hand gets tired with the Kindle Fire and it's less than 1lb (14.6 oz or 0.413kg).

I really think 400g is a sweet spot. That's one of the reasons I'm so happy with the 8.9" Galaxy (470g).

Did they fix the fact that ipads only have one speaker yet?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
The jailbreak is almost certainly gone with 5.1 and I don't know if there ever was a way to get android on any of them, suspect not.

With the new iPad and the new 1080p apple TV I'm wondering if the iTunes content just "magically" switches to 1080p. Rumors from early last year said apple was requesting studios send in 1080p content.

Edit: they must have massive bandwidth set up now, I just pulled in the whole 803mb 5.1 install for my phone very quickly. Historically that has been a problem on release day.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
That would be nice for displaying photos. Maybe give the viewers a +2 diopter to see closer. ;)

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
they must have massive bandwidth set up now, I just pulled in the whole 803mb 5.1 install for my phone very quickly. Historically that has been a problem on release day.

The last update, as well as this one, seem to be "akamaized". The 5.0 update was horrid, after an hour I gave up and tried the next day. Today, the 5.1 update is going along between 5 and 10Mbps (about half what it could be going on my connection, but I'm not complaining).

Akamai puts their servers on ISP owned/operated networks. So Akamai manages the content, and can steer users to one serer or the other, but the ISPs are in complete control of the network serving those machines and any congestion. My guess is that Akamai got an earful from Apple over the 5.0 release and made distribution/steering improvements or providers using Akamai realized that a 100Mbps (or less) connection to their akamai servers was not sufficient and provisioned the servers for the full 1Gbps (or more). Another possibility is that there simply isn't the same mad rush of people trying to download IOS 5.1 all at the same time.

btw, we have had several Akamai servers on our networks and the latest ones we had came standard with several gig-e ports. Akamai required at least a 100Mbps full duplex connection before they would even activate the server for content distribution (although through the magic of QoS policies, network design, etc the server might not actually be able to make use of that). The last published figure I saw on Akamai is that they have > 100k servers. If you estimate half are provisioned with 100Mbps and the other half are 1000Mpbs, that's 550,000,000Mbps (550Tbps) of combined bandwidth to the eyeballs of the world.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Bad things about iOS 5.1
-Says 4G - this is double stupid for me because I am using a wap.cingular APN (prepaid) which doesn't get HSPA+, proves it is just a marketing label.
-Iconsettings is broken - obviously apple doesn't want you to get to your settings quickly and easily. This actually really annoyed me, hopefully they will get it back quick.

Mercutio

You forgot bullshit data sandboxing. Holy god that still pisses me off and I haven't touched my ipad in nine weeks.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
This new Ipad is definitely tempting.
I don't really have a personal laptop, just the work one.
If I had one of these, I would leave the work laptop at work.
I'm not sure if I could use it for the photo processing.
But it's screen is probably better than my LCD monitor in terms of lighting and color reproduction I would guess?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
You forgot bullshit data sandboxing. Holy god that still pisses me off and I haven't touched my ipad in nine weeks.

?

Are you referring to the ability to bill a developer for data usage instead of the user now being offered? I'm on the fence about that one, mostly I feel like it's ok as they are being agnostic about who pays the bill and opening up options etc. I think OTA phone updates have been billed like that for years.

Mercutio

I'm talking about the fact that iOS forces a user to associate data with one particular application. Users have to load files on a per application basis. Fuck you if you want to try several different programs that might interact with the same files.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm talking about the fact that iOS forces a user to associate data with one particular application. Users have to load files on a per application basis. Fuck you if you want to try several different programs that might interact with the same files.

How frequently is this needed? It could be that the normal usage on something like an iPhone is different from an iPad, but I've never found myself needing to load files, let alone have it shared between an application (aside from copy & paste). What specifically were you trying to do and how many different applications do you find this same pain point with?

Handruin

Administrator
This new Ipad is definitely tempting.
I don't really have a personal laptop, just the work one.
If I had one of these, I would leave the work laptop at work.
I'm not sure if I could use it for the photo processing.
But it's screen is probably better than my LCD monitor in terms of lighting and color reproduction I would guess?

This is certainly the way Apple would like to see you and everyone else progress with regards to personal computing. My girlfriend's grandmother of 90 years old is looking for a device to get her online to do her stocks, skype, and likely some picture viewing of grandkids/great grandkids. We were considering getting an iPad 2 at the reduced price now that the new iPad is available. The simplicity of the iPad (relatively speaking) as an appliance rather than a full featured laptop is one of the arguments for this kind of device vs the added complexities of a laptop.

Handruin

Administrator
Very shady. Caving to AT&T causes me lose the one aspect of Apple that I admired (don't let carriers run unchecked over their customers). The Next Web post here.

Thanks for posting this article. I'm really tempted to call AT&T and make a scene on the phone about how I just got upgraded to LTE through a software update which isn't possible and ask if they can explain to me how HSPA+ is 4G when it isn't.

Handruin

Administrator
Very shady. Caving to AT&T causes me lose the one aspect of Apple that I admired (don't let carriers run unchecked over their customers). The Next Web post here.

Thanks for posting this article. I'm really tempted to call AT&T and make a scene on the phone about how I just got upgraded to LTE through a software update which isn't possible and ask if they can explain to me how HSPA+ is 4G when it isn't.

So I called AT&T and had a nice discussion with the tech guy. I told him the new 4G icon was a confusing and misleading change and he said the best he could do was point me to Apple's tech support line. He agreed that HSPA+ was more like a 3.5G and obviously not the same as their LTE, but said it was still "technically" 4G. He wasn't aware that the icon for service level had changed, so he was passing the information along to the other tech support people. I asked him if it was possible to register a complaint about this change and he kept telling me it was Apple's update that did this and I need to call Apple. He said he could transfer me, but they were experiencing long wait times right now likely due to everyone calling about iOS updates. Maybe in a week I'll try registering a complaint with their support. I know if won't do much, but the more people who call to complain, maybe they will reconsider (doubtful).

Mercutio

How frequently is this needed? It could be that the normal usage on something like an iPhone is different from an iPad, but I've never found myself needing to load files, let alone have it shared between an application (aside from copy & paste). What specifically were you trying to do and how many different applications do you find this same pain point with?

I need it. I obtain content from sources outside of Apple's control and at times I would like to be able to use that content with multiple applications. I might have more than one application for a .PDF or a .JPG, for example. It's ridiculous to think that I have to segregate my data according to whatever little box itunes wants me to put it in, but that's exactly how iOS expects me to interact with things. That's criminally limiting.

iOS only seems to want to deal with content that's either streamed from the internet or obtained directly from Apple. If your usage deviates from that, you're stuck as a square peg in a round hole, and you have to bend iOS to your needs instead of working with it in a natural fashion. Basically in my view there's no reason to have local storage at all if I can only use it in Apple's few pre-approved ways.

Maybe it's better if the stupid things are jailbroken. But as previously mentioned, it's a PITA to jailbreak a modern ithing and then your device is both outside of a supported configuration and it's more difficult to support other people because your configuration is different from everyone else's.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: every time I look at Apple's App store, I'm struck by the difference between what I see (a fuckload of apps that want me to pay $1 or $2 for completely obvious functionality that should be free and baked into the OS in the first place) and what other people see (developer's paradise, a "rich collection" of applications etc). I can't wrap my head around that line of thinking.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
iPad3 has made news here in Oz, the ACCC (Our consumer body) is taking Apple to court over promotion that the iPad3 has 4G support. Whilst the iPad3 does have 4G support, it only works in N.America and no where else in the world. However Apple in Australia is promoting that the iPad3 has 4G support... (except 4G connectivity won't work here). The ACCC has viewed the advertisement as misleading the consumer. (And under Australian law, the fine print in advertising doesn't trumpt information on the main ad).

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/295173,accc-sues-apple-over-ipad-4g.aspx

So anyone who purchased the iPad3 here in Oz for 4G connectivity has legal right to a full refund, as the product is unable to perform the duties it was purchased for. (And anyone else, can use the same excuse for a refund even if they just don't like the product).

Additionally, AFIAK, Denmark's consumer body is doing likewise over the same allegations. (In Denmark the iPad3 is being promoted as having 4G, depsite not being able to work with any European network in 4G mode). Apple Germany has already pulled 4G from their specification for the iPad3.

All I can say is, Apple's marketing department better get better at their job... (As they're costing Apple a fair significant sum of money in fines and bad press).

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Any idea why the 4G won't work in Australia, etc?

It's pretty shady, I'm glad some countries still have some semblance of consumer protection.

Mercutio

As far as I can tell, Apple's decision matrix for doing everything comes down to:
1. Can we make it with fewer buttons?
2. Can we put more brushed aluminum on it?
3. Can we make it so it doesn't work without itunes?

I don't know where lack of proper LTE support fits into that. Maybe the chips don't have enough brushed aluminum.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I do find it strange they made two different models to serve the 4G/LTE market in the US and ignored the rest. I don't even know if they will do LTE in europe when they build that out, they are a bit behind in the rollout but they do have a superior GSM deployment to the US I hear.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Australia has LTE, just not for iThings because Apple figures their customers are too dumb to tell the difference: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 4G

LTE frequencies: Australia, Asia and Europe use 1800MHz, Asia and Europe also have 2600MHz, and Europe adds 800MHz. Australia will add 700MHz some time after 2015 when the spectrum becomes available.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
We had a chance to play around with new IP ad. I don't really understand the controls, but the screen is beautiful. It is quite heavy, like the whole thing is a metal plate.