The old Storage Forum FAQ

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
(Originally posted by Tannin on 23 Jan 2002 02:36)

Hi all and welcome. This thread is to get you up to speed on Storage Forum. Please feel very welcome to respond to it, ask questions, criticise, and make suggestions. (There is a discussion thread for just that puropse.)

What is Storage Forum?

We are a group of people united by a common interest in hard drives and storage, and the desire to discuss this interest (and other things) in a secure, civilised environment.

Is Storage Forum permanent?

Yes. The site itself is here to stay. The admin team, however, is fluid. Although the details are still under discussion, the intention is that none of us should hold any particular role forever. From time to time, members of the admin team will step down, other people will take over. We want to see a continuous steady turnover, so that no one person has too much say in things or too unremiting a workload, and so that our admin remains representative of our readership.

How good are Storage Forum's backups?

The host ISP backs up on a weekly basis. In addition, Webmaster Doug archives the database to his hard drive, then backs that up to CD daily. Longer-term, we plan to move to a distributed backup arrangement, so that we don't need to rely on one person for everything. We promise that we will never wipe your posts out without plenty of advance warning.

How much does it cost to join?

Nothing. We hope to keep it that way.

Who pays for it?

At present, the members of the admin team. Cost so far has been minimal. We believe that we can manage a substantial increase in bandwidth without it costing anyone a great deal - particularly as a number of people have offered to donate spare bandwidth oir storage space, should we need it. Discussion of ways to cover the modest out-of-pocket expenses incurred is continuing. Advertising is a possibility but it may well not be needed.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
(Originally posted by Tannin on 23 Jan 2002 04:22 )

Who is welcome to this community?

Members of the old Storage Review forum community in particular, but also anyone who is (a) interested in computer storage, and (b) capable of discussing matters of mutual interest in a civilised way.

Who runs Storage Forum?

Well, everyone really. We want to encourage members to take part in the decision-making around here.

Final decisions rest with an informal group of twelve former Storage Review Forum veterans. At present, the team members are:

Clocker (Chairman)
Handruin (Webmaster)
Adcadet
CougTek
Energy
Flagreen
Groltz
Mercutio
P5-133XL
Pradeep
Tannin
Time

How were these people chosen?

Lots of people talked about finding a forum replacement. Eventually, some of us had to get together and actually do something. Obviously, the first thing to do was get a few of the more prominent SR veterans together and get a team organised. I scribbled down a list of the first 20-odd people I thought of and started writing emails. Soon we had a hard core of like-minded people. We elected Clocker chairman and he immediately proved his worth by pointing out that we had not yet included Handruin. (A glaring omission from my original list, which I will probably never live down.)

The chain of emails soon grew into a mailing list. Many of the people on the original list were impossible to contact. Some did not reply. That left about ten of us tossing around about 30 possible options. One of the first things we did, out of courtesy, was contact Eugene and Davin to bring them up to speed on our hopes and plans.

We also discussed going ahead with the original idea, which was to expand the group to perhaps 20 or 30 members by each of us inviting two or three other SR veterans that we thought might be able to make a contribution. At this time, however, Eugene wrote to us offering to fill us in on SR's future plans, and asking that we agree to keep them confidential (so as to protect SR's business interests) and not discuss them outside the group. We thought that was fair and reasonable and agreed.

At around the same time, Handruin stunned everyone by offering this site to us - we already had several offers of free hosting, but Handruin simply acted: he loaded phpBB onto his server and ... well, you can see the result. While the rest of us stood around and emailed one another with thoughts about hosting and bandwidth and forum software and administration, Doug burned the midnight oil and just did it.

The email list Clocker and I had been maintaining migrated over here. Plans to broaden our base by adding more SR regulars to the team went on hold because of the confidentiality requirement. Organisational issues took up most of our time. By the start of the last week of January, we were wondering if the forum was ready to open to all: on the whole, we thought, not quite ready. But we did think it was time to start catching up with a few more of the hard core of SR regulars, both to get their help with beta-testing the forum, and to make sure that we stayed in touch with community feelings. Hence Mercutio's email invitations.

What is the relationship between Storage Forum and Storage Review?

They are separate organisations with no formal relationship and quite different purposes.

Storage Review was (and may well remain) the best storage test and review site in the world. SR is a commercial enterprise.

Storage Forum is a community-based home for discussion. No more, no less. We have no desire to become another hardware testing and review site.

Does this mean that you are all deserting SR?

No. We are all rusted-on Storage Review fans. Most of the admin team members have given to the SR Donation Jar long since, and we all very much hope that Eugene and Davin can find a way to make SR a commercial success at last. Remember that SR's key business assets are the hard drive database, Eugene's testing expertise, and Davin's coding skills. The forum community is not something they can hope to sell: it might be nice to have but it is expensive in terms of bandwidth, and not something that generates significant income - else they would have been rich long ago!

If SR closes (or simply closes the forum section to save bandwidth costs), Storage Forum will be here.

If SR remains afloat, it is up to each individual to make up his or her own mind where they want to visit.

Speaking for myself only now, I won't stop being a frequent and enthusiastic member of Storage Review, and while it survives I'll still post regularly. On the other hand, Storage Forum does nightly CD backups and I think old posts matter, so I'll post my longer and more carefully thought-out things here.

What is the Confidential Forum?

When we first contacted Storage Review to let them know what we were doing with the Storage Forum, they in turn told us something of their rescue plans for StorageReview.com, and asked that we keep commercially sensitive matters private. So we created a confidential forum where we could discuss matters which we had promised not to disclose.

The members of the confidential forum are the Storage Forum admin team plus Eugene and Davin of Storage Review.

It now seems to be morphing into a place where the admin team can get together to talk things over and make decisions, without the messy business of emailing twelve different ways. Our non-disclosure agreement with SR will become irrelevant after a time, no doubt, but the confidential forum will probably remain a part of the administrative machinery of Storage Forum. We are trying to switch as much admin discussion as possible over into the public section for all to share in, but there will always be a need for some private discussion between admins to deal with spamming and the like. We expect that part of the admin team will step down from time to time, and that other Storage Forum members in good standing will take their turn at the wheel.

Is this site actually ready for heavy traffic?

So far as we can tell, yes. But we need to be ready to cope with the unexpected. We have contingency plans in place to bring on reserve capacity if it's needed.

What happens next?

Good question! Stay tuned.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
(Originally posted by Mercutio on 23 Jan 2002 10:23)

Why have only a small group of SR members been invited to join, and how were they chosen? At some point earlier this week, there was an absolute deadlock among the people in the admin group about revealing this site to the SR community. Because we weren't sure how to proceed, it was suggested that each of us invite a few new people each. So far, I've done most of the inviting (I think). If you're reading this, you're here because your email address was visible in your profile, because you have made valuable contributions to SR's forums, and because your names were near the top of the forum index pages when I looked. We would like to get more people involved here, but there really isn't any order to the choosing of names right now.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
(Originally posted by Handruin on 23 Jan 2002 16:37)

What company is hosting www.storageforum.net and what are the specifications?

"The Storage Forum" is hosted by www.burst.net. The initial hosting is done through a reseller who offers a fair price to keep this place running.

The domain is comprised of the following specifications:

System
Red Hat Linux 6.2 (Unix)

Apache 1.3.x with support for:
HTML, VRML, Java, C/C++, Perl, PHP4, TCL, Python, CGI, SSI, JavaScript

MySQL server version 3.23.45

Bandwidth = 20GB per month

(Note: this domain is on a shared host)

Weekly backups are done by burst.net

Space = 500 MB

Details from burst.net
What are the hardware specs of the servers?
Every server at BurstNET™ has different specifications. Whenever a server reaches what we feel to be the limit, another server is built. BurstNET™ is constantly upgrading the server hardware on our network. If more drive space, memory, or faster processors are needed, they are added in at that time. The average shared server is a dual processor system, with 512-1024MB RAM, and 160mbps SCSI hard drive(s). Windows NT™ shared servers traditionally also run RAID configurations. All BurstNET™ servers run spare hard drives for backup requirements.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
(Originally posted by Tannin on 13 Feb 2002 18:47 )

Appointments

Now that Storage Forum is up and running, we have had a chance to get ourselves a little more organised. Here is how the team is shaping up.

Handruin remains Webmaster - and a damn good one in my view.

I am acting as the Chairman now. Essentially, my role is to work out what tasks need doing around here and try to find people who have both the skills and the desire to take care of them.

P5_133XL is in charge of conduct and moderation. You'll have seen his posting of the forum rules the other day. Like most of us, Mark is committed to the idea that the least moderation is the best moderation. (But, of course, we must protect ourselves against the very few idiots who try to ruin things for everyone.) Mark is charged with the task of setting up a conduct and moderation system that is both fair to all and yet practical and easy to administer.

Clocker is our Ombudsman. If you have a problem of any kind, get in touch with him. We are all of us supposed to be contactable and responsive to member needs, requests, or suggestions, but just in case you ever feel you are not getting anywhere with me or with anyone else on the team, Clocker is all ears. That's his job.

James is tasked with finding ways to make the technical side of Storage Forum bulletproof. His brief is to make it possible for us to survive any imaginable technical disaster. What if the server turns itself into a pop-up toaster? What if our ISP goes bankrupt? What if Webmater Handruin falls under a bus? It's up to James to pick his team and work with them to make absolutely sure that all our posts are backed-up and safe, and that if sometimg terrible happens we can be back on-line quickly.

Adcadet and CougTek are in charge of the Storage Forum front page. They are working with several other members to bring us something more interesting than the current plain white thing. I have no idea what!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Who runs Storage Forum?

Well, everyone really. We want to encourage members to take part in the decision-making around here.

Final decisions rest with an informal group of twelve former Storage Review Forum veterans. At present, the team members are:

Clocker (Chairman)
Handruin (Webmaster)
Adcadet
CougTek
Energy
Flagreen
Groltz
Mercutio
P5-133XL
Pradeep
Tannin
Time