The Winter Olympics... who cares?

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I know I don't. They've much ado about nothing. It used to be back in the "good ole" cold war days entertaining to watch the competition for medals. These days it's about as exciting as watching grass grow. Either that or I'm just really getting to be an old fart.

Do you guys care about them?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Honestly, I don't care about sports. None. Not a whit. Nude Beach volleyball? OK, maybe that one.

I'm the type who feels that all sport would be better with the addition of landmines, or at the very least, edged weapons.

Olympics: The sports no one cares about three years, eleven months out of four years. Winter olympics? Even worse. Curling? Biathalon? Downhill slalom? Yawn.

Add landmines? Much better.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Those are some interesting ideas which would definitely liven things up! I would even watch to see that. One additional suggestion would be for the spectators throw tomatoes at the Pairs Skaters. Tickets to that event would sell out quick! :eekers:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I like sports, but the IOC should be kicked out of the....

games, along with the NCAA, and the AAU.

The governing bodies, as a general rule, are just way too corrupt for my taste.

Start our own form of games...

gs

Mercutio

I developed my philosophy in college, after having a roommate for a semester who watched EVERY SHOWING of ESPN Sportcenter - a show that's on about 8 times a day with at least two showings after midnight. He also got in at least two fistfights over NASCAR racing. It wasn't pleasant.

Basically, I believe the only reason most people watch sports is to see someone get hurt/killed. Or to see cheerleaders or other female sports accoutrements (I'll admit my most enjoyable sports experience involves Wrigley field on a hot summer day, some bleachers, and enthusiastic young, female Cubs fans).

What it ultimately boils down to is that what we'd like to see is a couple of guys in a sandy pit with some pointy metal objects to beat each other with. But since we can't have that we make do with Football (whatever sport that is in your country) and Boxing, both of which satisfy a small element of the urge without consumating what we're really looking for.

None of this explains golf. My theory accounts for this as follows: Golf is not a sport. At all. Least of all a spectator sport. Add some Viet Cong in the rough and we're talking business, but as it is, golf is nothing but a waste of real estate and Sunday afternoon network television.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Hilarious!

You think golf isn't a sport, how about bowling? At least in golf they walk around a bit!

Mercutio

Does anyone think Bowling is a sport?

At least bowling has a decent potential for injury. Even if it's more likely a career-ending hernia or groin-pull (no, not that kind!) than a torn ACL or rotary cuff.

Tiger Woods had to sit out a few golf tournaments last year because why? Because a fan stepped on his foot.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
What it ultimately boils down to is that what we'd like to see is a couple of guys in a sandy pit with some pointy metal objects to beat each other with

Did you ever see "Gladiator"? I loved those games! At least the chance of getting killed would justify the multimillion dollar salaries sports figures today receive. Bring back the gladiatorial games! :idea:

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
This is sad. Really, really sad.

I can't believe the pursuit of excellence in agility and dexterity is so far beyond yall.

Yall are just jealous because you reached your pinacle of dexterity with ten finger typing.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Cliptin said:
This is sad. Really, really sad.

I can't believe the pursuit of excellence in agility and dexterity is so far beyond yall.

Yall are just jealous because you reached your pinacle of dexterity with ten finger typing.

You're supposed to use ten?

Mercutio

Cliptin said:

Make an attempt at Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody and tell me about a peak in dexterity when typing. Hit the high notes in full voice in "Celeste Aida" and tell me that's not athletic.

There is a lot of athleticism in just about any physical pursuit. Why glorify those whose hobby (Olympians aren't paid, right?) involves snow, skis, or flat 12-pound rocks at the expense of everyone else?

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Imperessive Mercutio. I'm beginning to think you are a man for all season's! We all have our talents and interests. I know my interests and am still searching for the talent! :D

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
I appreciate the pursuit of excellence in any physical endevour. The dedication required to not even achieve but only attempt such feats is something many people overlook.

So, the next time you know where I can find an international competion of operatics, be sure to let me know.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Yes I am allowed to once every four years :D

P.S. Haven't pestered 2cpu.com with it yet, but thanks for the idea!

Mercutio

flagreen said:
Imperessive Mercutio. I'm beginning to think you are a man for all season's! We all have our talents and interests. I know my interests and am still searching for the talent! :D

Nope. Just someone who had WAY too many music lessons when I was growing up. But if I (I'm a baritone) could hit the high Ds in the aria I mentioned above, I'd be famous as a sideshow freak if nothing else. :)

How about some real olympic events? I've got one, and all I'd need is an official, olympic-sized driveway and a shovel!

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Do or watch

I've found the downfall of watching sports is that usually takes time you could be doing them.

Sometimes it can be used as a learning tool, but, this is rare.

Usually it's living off someone elses accomplishments.

gs