This was in my inbox this morning

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I find it slightly ennoying that you are using such an obvious
derivation of my nick. I, mirQtio, have had that name registered, even
here on SR, for almost two years, not to mention on the rest of the net.
It is a highly original name and if you actually came up with it on your
own instead of deriving it from mine, you would be the first of over a
dozen such individuals (all with similar nicks) to do so. They all
admitted in course to essentially stealing my nick. At any rate, I don't
appreciate it, but would if you stopped using it.

thnx,
mirQtio

OK. This is a joke, right? Or is this guy just nuts?
Does anyone remember seeing a post from "mirQtio" on SR?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I think this person must be a teen living his identity crisis. Concluding that Mercutio is derived from mirQtio is a bit pulled by the hair.

Anyway, you've been a veteran member of SR for at least as long as he claims to have been and you are far more renown than he is so you have every right to keep your handle.

You shouldn't mind.

Mercutio

Oh, there's no doubt I would keep my handle. I just can't believe the nerve. Wow. I was the second person user registered after the SR crash (Flagreen was first). I have 180something posts in the last month - more than a lot of members had in years.

He registered last night, and wants me to stop using my nic?
How tremendously absurd. Not even a tortured mind like Trinton's would come up with something that... weird.

That's why I think it's someone joking with me.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
If I were you, I'd write and thank him most sincerly for the best damn belly-laugh you've had all year.

Err, I take it the guy has a problem with his education. In particular, English literature. Not to put too fine a point on it, Shakespere. Or can't he read?

Mercutio

The fact that I received a reasonably coherent e-mail suggests that he can, in fact, read. Either that or the "million monkeys/million typewriters" thing holds water and this particular monkey got very lucky.

Yes, that must be it. This guy had his handle registered on THE ENTIRE INTERNET and I must've somehow retroactively stolen it from him.

Hm. He must be using Microsoft Passport. :)

Mercutio

Both, actually. Turns out the man wasn't big on spelling his name the same way every time.

But Cougtek is right about the accepted modern spelling, if anyone cares to be pedantic.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I was just making fun on Tony's back. Making a spelling mistake while claiming that someone lacks proper education is kinda funny :)

Thanks Mercutio for pointing out that Shakespeare can be writen both ways. So Tony's previous post is ok since he didn't mispel anything.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Give me a break Coug - I haven't woken up yet. :) Still, at least I know who Mercutio is - the real one, I mean, Benvolio's sidekick from Romeo and Juliet - not this modern imposter from Illinois.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio, I'm fairly confident it's "dry" humour. It may in fact be Trinton - he often seems to wildly misjudge the appropriate degree of subtlety.

Mercutio

Actually I am from Illinois. I grew up in a farm town not far from Urbana. What's the sales tax rate on your side of the line, again? Is it 10% yet?

I emailed MirQtio back. I'm hoping he responds.
Or admits to being Trinton.

Whichever.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
Actually I am from Illinois. I grew up in a farm town not far from Urbana. What's the sales tax rate on your side of the line, again? Is it 10% yet?

I emailed MirQtio back. I'm hoping he responds.
Or admits to being Trinton.

Whichever.

It's only 7.75% in Cook County. But in Chicago (which is a part of Cook County, but adds its own taxes on ) its 8%.

Here in Madison it's only 5.5% which is nice.

-Tim

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Maybe the Guy works for Rambus? He seems to employ their logic in his cease and desist request.

Mercutio

Still no response to the little bastard. Too bad. I was nice and polite in my first message, but if he writes me back I really want to let loose with a Picard-style smackdown.

He took the trouble to register on SR, but he still hasn't posted, either (user #1163).

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
LOL sounds like a complete idiot. For a start, Mercutio is a name. It looks like he derived his nick from your name. Tell him to stuff his head further up his behind and piss off!!

If using two similar names is wrong then we're all guilty. I wonder how many NRG and energies there are out there. Thats why I changed mine to NRG = mc² (not NRG=mc2 or mc^2).

If he has a problem then perhaps he should change his nick to a 24 bit random string of alpha numeric characters, for example

89rjfsdfjkjIjkdjkSUCKks4 :wink:

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
That doesn't look very random to me...
but lets not get into a discussion about the plausability of randomness...
Just use your real name, then conflicts could be understandable.
Though I don't suppose there are many William Stanley Rickards III
out there...

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
You know Merc, you could also just change to a different Shakespeare character. Romeo? Juliet?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
NRG = mc² wrote : Thats why I changed mine to NRG = mc² (not NRG=mc2 or mc^2).

Tannin wrote : Not to put too fine a point on it, Shakespere.

CougTek wrote : Err, Tony...it's Shakespeare I think.

Mercutio wrote :...Shakespeare can be writen both ways.
Will Glover and Shakespeare are nothing compared to myself. I think my nick has the record the most various mispelled attempts. Just to give some of the names I've been called :
  • Cougtek (countless times)
    Cougtech (Tony and many others)
    Coug-tek (Tony and many others)
    Coug-Tech (A certain Aussie living at Ballarat and many others)
    cougtech (guess who and many others)
    CougTech (again Tony and many others)
    Jerktech (that was Would71)
I must have the hardest seven letters nickname to spell of the entire 'Net.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Coug, Surely misscapitalisation could be considered splitting hairs.

Consider that although I have only seen two spelling of my nick: cliptin and clipton, I'm running about 50/50 in usage.

There is already a winner for the first to misspell is on this BB. :)

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Mercutio said:
Is Cougtek really all that bad?

Mostly I get called Mercurio. I have no idea where that comes from.

I chalk it up to: the r is right next to the t and struck with the same finger. (Unless you've had a bolt cutter accident like Tannin and only have thumbs.)

Corvair

Learning Storage Performance
CougTek said:
  • Cougtek (countless times)
    Cougtech (Tony and many others)
    Coug-tek (Tony and many others)
    Coug-Tech (A certain Aussie living at Ballarat and many others)
    cougtech (guess who and many others)
    CougTech (again Tony and many others)
    Jerktech (that was Would71)

Has anyone called you John Cougar MellonTech yet? :-?

flagreen said:
Where has Would71 disappeared to? And does anyone care?

Maybe he's one of these recently-registered SR members:

• FlameDeer (SR# 1043)
    unamed (SR# 1061)
    PottyCam (SR# 1134)
    NutTote (SR# 1192)

Corvair

Learning Storage Performance

Heh... Just going through the lists of usernames over at SR, it seems like many of them are more like PASSWORDS than usernames.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
flagreen said:
Where has Would71 disappeared to?

I've seen someone with the same username and argumentative attitude on the train-sim.com forums, if anyone is interested. BTW, train-sim.com is a site devoted to Microsoft Train Simulator, in case anyone here besides myself has an interest in railroading.

And does anyone care?

No.

Mercutio

I don't have a personal interest in Railroading but I do have a funny story that a Railroad nut will probably like:

In the spring of 2000 I worked for Canadian National doing all kinds of things, one of which was walking around and installing software on all the PCs in their swanky downtown-Chicago offices (three floors of the NBC Tower). One of those offices belonged to CN's #2 man, their COO. Big, huge, fancy office... and there, on the guy's desk, was a copy of "Railroad Tycoon II" and a note asking that it get installed with all other software I was supposed to set up.

Funny, no?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
That is kind of funny :)

The strange thing is that RR Tycoon II might actually have been somewhat helpful to this guy's job in a roundabout sort of way, or so he would have said if anybody asked him. On the other hand, he probably just liked to play the game.

In either case, Canadian National is still around in spite of(or perhaps because of) this guy's fondness for RR Tycoon.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Well, CougTek, I guess the only way to answer that is to tell you a little bedtime story. Every word of it true, I assure you.

Once upon a time - we must start thus, you know, for all good stories start with a "once upon a time" - there was a young man who was an only moderately talented singer. His name was John Melloncamp. By the time he had been a moderately talented out of work singer for ten years or so, he thought that life was passing him by. So one day he got a nice new manager and they decided that he needed a nice flashy new name which would make all the teeny-boppers wet their panties. And, according to the manager's plans at least, provide Mr Melloncamp with some large amounts of that thing which he prized above all other things: money.

So John Melloncamp became Johhny Cougar and the teenie-boppers became duly damp in the appropriate places and the record company put Johnny's face on the cover of his nice new album, and the nice men down at the bank crossed out all the red writing in Mr Melloncamp's little book and wrote in some beautiful big black numbers instead.

Alas, teeny-boppers grow up all too fast these days, and before too long they were all too wise and too mature to go all damp and goey over someone called Johhny. And the nice men down at the bank said they would have to start writing little red numbers in Johnny's little book soon, and what was he going to do about it?

So Johhny and his manager had a think about things and decided that, seeing as he was over 30 already and getting rather wrinkly, they better start calling him something that sounded a bit more mature. Showing an astonishing and unexpected gift for creative imagination, Johhny Cougar became John Cougar. Or possibly Jon Cougar. I forget. Now most of the teeny boppers were not fooled by this, but a few were, and they bought Jon Cougar's latest album and the nice men at the bank were, well, not exactly happy, but at least not too upset.

By this time, the teeny boppers were all completely grown up and the last thing on their minds was the damp patches that they used to get when they looked at Jon's picture on the cover of his record. They were all sophisticates now, and listened to grown-up, sophisticated music, with words you could hear and understand and meanings behind them and all kinds of stuff like that. They were into things like character and subtlety and experience and commitment, and when they were not too busy picking out wedding dresses and starting careers, they were buying CD discs by Sting and listening to old Bob Dylan cuts.

Jon was out of work again and the nice little men down at the bank were growing quite grumpy.

But no-one who has made his way into the big-time with nothing more than a manager, a handsome face, a good photographer, and a couple of timely name changes can be completely stupid, and our Jon proved to be made of sterner stuff. He discovered, after all these years of faking it, that he could actually sing after all, and write sensitive, thoughtful tunes, and play them with not a little subtlety and finesse and commitment. Anyway, he was tired of being Jon Cougar, retired rock star, and waiting round just in case someone offered him a bit part in a movie. So he dusted off his old original name from back before he was on radio, and Jon Cougar became John Cougar-Melloncamp. And the rasp of his tired old voice and the lines on his tired old face made all the 30-something teeny boppers get wet between the legs again, and the nice old men at the bank brought out the black ink for Johnny's book again, and everybody lived happily ever after.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Hmmm... and how did the artist formerly known as Prince get his name Mother Goose?