Tool to clean up my HD

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Anybody know a good tool to help me get rid of redunant files on my computer - MP3, videos, .docs, .xls, .rm's, etc, etc. I thought way back when the Norton/Symmantec suite included such a tool that would look for similar files with similar names, types, and sizes.

Thanks,
Adcadet

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
If a lot of these files are ending up somewhere other than temporary folders and the appropriate document folders, then you either have a bad application or need some organization.

While you can do a file search for the worrisome file types and delete those which aren't where they belong, I suggest a clean install every once in a while to clean out those cobwebs.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
You can use Norton, but then you'll need to do a complete reinstall when it's done trashing your system.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Cleansweep DOES work but I haven't used it since Symaneviltec took it over. There's probably a freeware program somewhere that does the same thing.

A tool I really like for Identifying troublespots is Spacemonger

Which tells you at a directory level where the hell all your space went.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
Cleansweep DOES work but I haven't used it since Symaneviltec took it over.

I was thinking the same thing. The original Cleansweep utility was pretty nice. I also used their Virus Clean at the time.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That site can be obnoxious at times, so it probably isn't you. I think maybe last time I needed it I got it directly from Simtel...

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Didn't I hear about SpaceMonger here? I've been using it for over a year now, if only to wonder at the amount of media files I have....

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a ton of older tools that do a great job, but don't know if they'll run on XP (I'm on 2k). I haven't run any of these tools in a long time.

CloneSpy claims to run on 98se, NT 40, ME, 2k and XP. It claims to find files that:
- are duplicates (based on content)
- are duplicates and have the same file name
- have the same file name
- have the same file name and (approximately) the same size
- are zero bytes long

Their site is down now, but lets you download the tool. IIRC, it was freeware; don't know about now.

Piyono

Storage is cool
I just started using purl=http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/]WinDirStat[/url] and I can't remember how I got by without it.
Honest.

Piyono