UltraDMA CRC Error Count attribute is very low!

paugie

Storage is cool
Hello, I use HDD Health. And my 80gb maxtor gets this comment.

UltraDMA CRC Error Count attribute is very low! Check the IDE cable, PCI frequency and system drivers.

It has been like this for months now and the predictive life span has been getting better and better. It started out like 3 days from now. Lately the predicted life is in the year 2010. I've replace the IDE cable and still am getting the same error message. What is wrong with the drive?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
That error is suposed to be indicitive of a bad cable, but can also be caused by the drive receiving poor power or a number of other things.

I'd reseat the cables and if that doesnt work try another IDE cable and power connector.

paugie

Storage is cool
power connector? hmmm will try that later, will shut down first.
thanks for the tip. already tried replacing the ide cable, no change.

paugie

Storage is cool
tried out swapping a power connector. no change. might be really something wrong with the drive.

Funny thing is, as time goes by the drive life prediction gets better and better. It's now predicting the drive to die in the year 2011

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
paugie said:
tried out swapping a power connector. no change. might be really something wrong with the drive.

Funny thing is, as time goes by the drive life prediction gets better and better. It's now predicting the drive to die in the year 2011

Maybe. But then it will probably implode into a supernova. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Howell said:
paugie said:

Maybe. But then it will probably implode into a supernova. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

er.. replace supernova with black hole.