Unable To Save Forum Pages

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The topic says it all. When I try to save any forum page, I end up with a "Web page not saved" message. I'm using IE5 and Win98, and I have no problem saving pages from SR's forum which uses the same software.

Handruin

Administrator
jtr1962 said:
The topic says it all. When I try to save any forum page, I end up with a "Web page not saved" message. I'm using IE5 and Win98, and I have no problem saving pages from SR's forum which uses the same software.

Indeed an interesting find. I looked a bit into this and I experienced the same results as you have with IE 6.0 in windows XP. I was able to save a page from SR, but not from here.

Here is a possible reason:

First off, SR is running a much older release of phpBB2 then we are for some reason unknown to all of us. I also ran this same test on www.phpbb.com in their forum, and I was unable to save a forum web page. They are running one revision higher then we are and this feature does not work from their forum.

The answer may be several reasons:

1- Th phpBB folks introduced an error in the code which cause this problem in the RC versions after RC2 (SR is running RC2)

2- The phpBB folks had reason to disable this feature with web browsers for some reason and did not explain why.

3- Davin figured out a way to enable this feature and is keeping it secret from everyone. ;)

I will ask why this happens and let you know the answer.

-Doug

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Just tried saving this thread, JTR.

Works fine in Mozilla 0.9.9 and in Opera 6.0, but I get the same error as you in IE 5.0. Actually, when I want to save a thread, I usually use Netscape 4.x, simply because it gives me the plain text, completely unaltered.

(Some kind soul showed me that you can do that in IE and most or all other browsers too the other day - I never twigged to it before that. But I still use Netscape 4.x for that job, just out of habit.)

PS: speaking of saved threads, I have your wonderful collection safely burned to CD, but have made absolutely no progress on posting them anywhere. I'm just not getting the time to do anything sensible with them. Any ideas?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
IE6 says web page could not be saved because one of the files is missing. This is after choosing to save as "web page, html only"

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea said:
Just tried saving this thread, JTR.

Works fine in Mozilla 0.9.9 and in Opera 6.0, but I get the same error as you in IE 5.0. Actually, when I want to save a thread, I usually use Netscape 4.x, simply because it gives me the plain text, completely unaltered.

(Some kind soul showed me that you can do that in IE and most or all other browsers too the other day - I never twigged to it before that. But I still use Netscape 4.x for that job, just out of habit.)

I can save in plain text also, but since the forums have pictures and smilies and so forth, I prefer to save in html.

PS: speaking of saved threads, I have your wonderful collection safely burned to CD, but have made absolutely no progress on posting them anywhere. I'm just not getting the time to do anything sensible with them. Any ideas?

If you could do one thread in the final format you prefer, maybe I can eventually find the time to edit the whole bunch in that same format. I've been a bit busy as of late also since my mother had a hip replacement. Between going to visit her in rehab and doing her chores, I'm usually short on time, which is why I haven't posted much either here or on SR in the last three weeks. I realize that posting the saved threads will be quite an undertaking if you want to do so in a nice linked html format, but maybe if we get a few volunteers involved it will get done. :)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I posted this reply once already, but it hasn't shown up in this thread yet.

In IE, try this: SAVE AS "Web Archive, single file (*.mht)"

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mozilla is acting screwy on me. It's not showing any of my replies to this thread, but IE is. I'll try Netscape 6.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck said:
I posted this reply once already, but it hasn't shown up in this thread yet.

In IE, try this: SAVE AS "Web Archive, single file (*.mht)"

Your previous reply showed up fine in my browser. Strange problem :-?

Anyway, here are my complete findings regarding saving threads in IE:

1)Save as "Web page(complete)" does not work(error message "This Web page could not be saved")

2)Save as "Web page(html only)" does not work(error message "This Web page could not be saved because one of its files is missing")

3)Save as text-works OK but obviously no graphics are saved

4)Save as "Web Archive, single file (*.mht)" works fine. The problem here is that I don't believe .mht can be read by every browser, and since the graphics are saved each and every time, it is a space hungry format. I currently put all the graphics for saved SR threads(all initially saved as "Web page, complete") in a "Common" folder, and by using a search and replace in the main body of each thread, all saved threads can be made to reference the "Common" folder, which means that the same smilies, signature pictures, and so on don't need to be stored hundreds of times(once for each thread), which occurs with either the .mht format, or by simply saving as "Web page, complete" without editing the thread as I described.

I guess I'll use the .mht format until the probelm can be figured out, but it is a less than ideal solution.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
You can always use a different browser, like Mozilla. IE is still set as my default browser, so all of the files I save through Mozilla end up with the "e" icon and can be viewed in IE.

BR

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I found a workaround to the problem which isn't too bad. First I save the page as an .mht file. I then open the .mht file offline in IE and save as "Web page(complete)". It saves OK that way, and it's only an extra step, which isn't too time-consuming. :)