Unlocker

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
I have been looking for a way to get around the aggravating WinXP problem of frequently not being able to delete files or folders due to "Cannot delete ****: It is being used by another person or program"

Also mentioned in the past by Andy.

I found this yesterday and it solves the problem. Freeware.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
You're welcome, Buck

I prefer to use Process Explorer

I also use Process Explorer...frequently. PE isn't made for killing stuck files/folders, though.

Unlocker Website said:
Process Explorer by Sysinternals is a fabulous freeware tool. However you need to open it and type the name of your file so that so search for lockers. Then you need to right click every handle and close them one after another, since there is no multi-selection. Process explorer can not unload DLLs. Unlocker allows you to right click the file or folder directly in explorer and close all handles all at once. Unlocker since 1.6 can unload DLLs.

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance
I used to run into this problem occasionally a while back if I did a lot of browsing by Thumbnails with WinXP's File Explorer.

However, after installing Service Pack 2 some time back, I have not had the "stuck files" problem, or at least I don't recall having said problem.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Groltz said:
I also use Process Explorer...frequently. PE isn't made for killing stuck files/folders, though.

You just kill the handle in PE.

I'd rather know what's using it rather than randomly zap handles and processes. It might be something I don't want to mess with.