Unreal Touranament 2003

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I downloaded the demo and it won't run on my system. I play UT a lot back in the day and would like to try this game out. It won't play in safe mode or regular mode. I didn't try anything else after that.

Handruin

Administrator
I've played it a bunch last night. Clocker, I was going to see if you were around if you wanted to join my server but you weren't on ICQ. We had about 5 people playing for a few hours, it was a blast.

I was surprised how good the game ran at 1280x1024@32 bpp, I remember hearing the minimum spec was a 1 GHz with a GeForce 3 which is very close to what I have...

I got screen captures I can post if anyone wants to see some shots of the game...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Please do! I want to see what you're up to. I played the DM and CTF maps against the dummbest BOTs available. It was still a blast!

C

Handruin

Administrator
Maybe sometime this week if you are around we can start up a game. I started the game with a guy I help with web page stuff and we played for about 15 minutes and 3 other random people joined. One left after a little bit, but we got to play for a while with 4 people.

I can try and host it again. I set a limit to 5 people because I know my cable modem upload speed isn't the best. I only played the DM so far and it was fun. I'll have to try out the CTF maps.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My system:

Win2k SP3
Asus A7V333
Athlon XP 1800+
256MB PC2100
ATI Radeon 7000
SB Live! Value
Lasted version of DirectX (8.1b or something)
Bunch of other stuff that shouldn't matter.

I am going to try updating the video drivers to see if that fixes the problem. Other than that I really don't know what the problem could be.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Handruin said:
Maybe sometime this week if you are around we can start up a game. I started the game with a guy I help with web page stuff and we played for about 15 minutes and 3 other random people joined. One left after a little bit, but we got to play for a while with 4 people.

I can try and host it again. I set a limit to 5 people because I know my cable modem upload speed isn't the best. I only played the DM so far and it was fun. I'll have to try out the CTF maps.

What is your upload Handruin? What port(s) does the server use?

My upload is about 300kbps so if mine is better than yours I can set up a server on one of my other machines. Is there a dedicated server mode or would I run it on the same machine I play on. I doubt I'd have any problems with my dually rig...

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Timwhit:
You probably already read this but here it is anyway (hope it helps):

C

3.2 Sound issues
----------------

If using a 3D sound accelerator such as the Sound Blaster Audigy series
sound card, you can go into "Options/Audio" to enable EAX 3.0 by selecting
the "Hardware 3D Sound + EAX" options.

You need to upgrade to the latest version of Sound Blaster Audigy drivers
in order to get acceptable 3D sound performance.

Using Unreal Tournament 2003 in conjunction with earlier versions of the
drivers MAY cause severe performance problems (major slowdowns in the
order of 30-50% while playing sound) in which case you should change the
option back to the default "Software 3D Audio".

If your computer is hooked up to a 5.1 speaker system, you should go into
"Options" and turn on "Hardware 3D Audio" to take advantage of 360-degree
sound panning, which rocks.

3.8 Radeon 7x00 issues
----------------------

Radeon 7x00 cards exhibit a couple of visual flaws like the hanging
banners in BR-Anubis which will be addressed by us for the full version
of the game.

We recommend using the 7.76 drivers (Catalyst 2.3) drivers as they
incorporate fixes for running the Unreal Tournament 2003 Demo.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I updated my video drivers and I actually got the game to run. It locked up so I changed the sound to safe mode and it ran fine. I plan on getting rid of the Live and just using the onboard sound with an optical out (SPDIF).

Game seems pretty good. Though my Radeon 7000 sucks.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Thanks for the notice, Clocker! Looks great!

Alas, my attempt at running the demo ended quickly:

-------------------------------
Xlib: extension "XiG-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD" missing on display ":0.0".
OpenGL renderer relies on DXTC/S3TC support.

History:

Exiting due to error
-------------------------------

According to the README file, I'm completely out of luck ... unless I buy an Nvidia graphics card. (Which is hard to do with no money.) :cry:

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm using a Radeon 8500LE 64MB w/o problems (just FYI). Maye sure you have the latest Catalyst drivers if you are using a Radeon.

C

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I downloaded the demo and it won't run on my system. I play UT a lot back in the day and would like to try this game out. It won't play in safe mode or regular mode. I didn't try anything else after that

I had that problem too - fixed by updating DirectX from 8.0 to 8.1

I like the graphics, even on my old GF2MX, and to imagine what it would play like on a top of the range card with the hi res textures present on the retail version.... whoaa!!

I'm in for a game, just ICQ me Clocker or Handruin when you're ready.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
The game is awesome... Many improvements over the original UT '99!
Thanx C.

Can we create a server and give an appointment to kick each other's ass?
Mercutio, time, and CougTek will be just fine a little bit... evaporated! :cooler:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
As if I'm going to have that demo any time soon? I don't even have a phone line right now (f-----g Ameritech).

My game machine still has a voodoo5 in it. I imagine I'll probably pop in a radeon9000 or something, once I get a copy of the game.
I'm not bad in UT against the middle-high level of bots. I don't know how I match up against a group of people though.

Yes, I'd like to see people's screenshots, since that's probably as close as I'll get to the actual game. :(

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Real players are usually tougher then the bots - on UT '99 I could just about (50% chance) beat the bots on Masterful mode on maps that I knew well, but on online games not a chance... didnt even win (or get close) once. But then I've only been playing for 6 months on and off.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Oh yeah...I'm getting pumped!

We need to find a server we can all play on!

C

Mercutio

Wow, do the leaves on that tree ever look good. What video card/settings are you using there?

Please tell me that's not a BIORifle. I hate that stupid thing.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Ping time was probably the most important thing when I was playing UT online a couple years ago. I would win probably half the time when I had a good connection, but when the connection started to suck then I had a much harder time competing.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Its not the biorifle sludge thing... its the plasma gun or whatever its called... the green beam when you right click and the green blobs when you left click.

I'm running a Hercules GeForce 2MX at 1024x768, 32 bit, everything on normall settings, and detail textures disabled. I havent really messed with the settings much, just cranked up the resolution. I'll start messing about later.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
True, its one of my favourites. The demo only has a coupe of maps, all new ones, I'm not sure the full version actually carries over any of the old maps... and the maps included on the demo aren't very nice IMO...

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
All the maps from Unreal 1 were included in UT. There were a lot of maps from UT that I really hope are included. If they aren't then I bet some dedicated users will recreate them.

SteveC

Storage is cool
I just tried it, and it seems very good so far. But I think I need more practice, as I was just keeping up with the Bots set on average. I know I would be a very easy kill for you guys.

Steve

Sol

Storage is cool
I'll have to download that... I played a couple of the betas but they were pretty buggy and even with a geforce 3 800x600 was about as good as it got... I can be obsesive about FPS though.. It was still a very pretty game, I didn't notice any of the old maps from UT but the bots AI was terible... There was only one level and they were O.K if you could get them in a tight spot but they had a distinct inability to miss if you just gave them a good look at you, hope they fixed that... We played a couple of rounds on LAN and it was pretty good fun with a few people,
By the way that green beam gun is called the link gun, if you hit an ally in a team match the beam goes red and powers up thier gun so you can shoot together, it's a pretty cool concept. But unless things have changed quite a bit bio-rifle spamming is the wqay to go... that thing does crazy ammounts of damage and it's near impossible to hit... Just sorry I can't get online and play with you guys, even good cable will only get you so far, and outside Aus is too far...

What I'm really looking forward to is a new engine... Deus-Ex2.... that sort of thing, Quake3 is getting really tired.

Handruin

Administrator
Clocker said:
Handruin said:

What is your upload Handruin? What port(s) does the server use?

My upload is about 300kbps so if mine is better than yours I can set up a server on one of my other machines. Is there a dedicated server mode or would I run it on the same machine I play on. I doubt I'd have any problems with my dually rig...

C

My upload speed is 100 Kbit per/sec which isn't terrific for a gaming server. I can't tell which port it uses. I tried a netstat and it didn't help.

There is a dedicated server mode. If you go into UT demo and select "host multiplayer game". In this menu section there will be a "server tab". In there is an option you can select for dedicated server. So once you click the "start" button your UT gmae will exit and a small command window will open. This is your dedicated server. You can then administer it through the web, but I haven't figured out that part yet.

Handruin

Administrator
Here are the screen captures I took the other night:

http://www.storageforum.net/forums/images/ut2003/

These are with a GeForce 3 Ti 200 at 32 bit color. They were originally 1280x1024, but I figured Merc would not like to download such large images on dialup. :) I didn't turn Anti-Aliasing on which I should have... Maybe next time I play.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Why do I like Getright?

Well I just started DLing the demo and I'll have it in 8 min. 148.5k/sec. Gotta love DSL.

Oh yeah, this thread is about UT. I'm very bad. School children groan when they see me play fast twitch games. The only computer games I've played in the last 365 is Balder's Gate and Worms 2. I can be Steve's target.

Mercutio

Worms in any of its forms is really, really fun. You FPS-addicts should give it a try.

Nothing like ninja-roping your opponent with a well-placed Ming Vase.

As for the screenshots, that game looks really damn good, graphics-wise.

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Wow! Okay, for a guy used to playing Rogue Spear, Team Fortres Classic, and Ghost Recon, this is quite a switch! I played Quake II way back when, but I don't think it was even this fast-paced. I've played for the last couple of hours without realizing the time...and I'm WORN OUT! Good game.

Handruin

Administrator
Clocker, I just looked up my cable internet provider and I now see they offer faster cable speeds for additional cost. Does this look like a decent deal?

Standard $ 39.95
512 Kbps Download speed
128 Kbps Upload speed
20 GB monthly bandwidth
10 MB Web space (woopdy do)
3 e-mail addresses
2 IP addresses
Dynamic IP type

Speed Plus $ 49.95
1 Mbps Download speed
256 Kbps Upload speed
30 GB Monthly bandwidth
10 MB web space
3 e-mails
2 ip's
Dynamic ip type

Ultimate Speed $ 69.95
1.5 Mbps download speed
512 Kbps upload speed
40 GB monthly bandwidth
10 MB web space
6 e-mails
2 ip's
Dynamic ip type

I currently have the standard plan and was thinking about the next highest plan for $49. I thought that offered a little better performance for a few dollars more. Are these prices wacked compared to other areas?? I don't care about e-mail or web space, only the bandwidth offerings. I'm tempted...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Doug-

Those prices seem high but they are more detailed than my (new to the area) ISP provides. My service gives me a fairly consistent 1.5Mbps download and 300kbps upload. They cut us "Internet Advanced" users down from 2Mbps down and 500kbps up because their expansion is more than they can handle right now, bandwidth-wise. They have stated that they will remove the caps for the 'Advanced' subscribers once they get an additional OC3 and expansion slows to a reasonalbe rate but I will believe it when I see it....

Here are my rates (I am a Hotbox customer because I have the basic Digital cable package). My total cable bill (TV&Internet)is just under $80 per month out the door.:

HotBox Customers:
WOW! Internet Value: $19.95 (Download Speeds Up To 112Kbps)
WOW! Internet Basic: $29.95 (Download Speeds Up To 500Kbps)
WOW! Internet Advanced: $34.95 (Download Speeds Up To 1.5MBps)

Cable TV; Non-HotBox Customers:
WOW! Internet Value: $29.95 (Download Speeds Up To 112Kbps)
WOW! Internet Basic: $39.95 (Download Speeds Up To 500Kbps)
WOW! Internet Advanced: $44.95 (Download Speeds Up To 1.5MBps)

WOW! Internet without Cable TV
WOW! Internet Value: $34.95 (Download Speeds Up To 112Kbps)
WOW! Internet Basic: $44.95 (Download Speeds Up To 500Kbps)
WOW! Internet Advanced: $49.95 (Download Speeds Up To 1.5MBps)

Not sure if you can access this but here is my provider's page:
http://www.wideopenwest.com/portal/michigan/index.html

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I forgot to mention..I get three IPs but I only use one. I get several e-mail addresses but I foget how many.

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
LOL Unreal Touranament 2003. Clocker you are such a bonehead. I can tell you were tired from that game!

C

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
timwhit said:
i, what kind of card do you have?

Thanks for asking timwhit ... it's an old ATI Rage Fury (32MB). I'm running Linux, and apparently nothing other than the latest ATI cards or an NVidia card will work.

Even if that weren't an issue, it seems I'd have bigger problems anyway. The README file also mentions that a 600 MHz system is the absolute bare minimum. So it seems my dual PII-400 wouldn't be sufficient to make the game at all playable anyway (nothing beyond the sound engine is run as a secondary thread, so the second CPU wouldn't help me out in this case).

Ahh well. Yet another reason to get back to the old job hunt.