update Updates to forum (vbulletin version 3.7 from 3.6)

Handruin

Administrator
I've patched us to the latest version. We now have a new reCAPTCHA tool enabled and I've re-enabled new user activation to see how things go. You may find some new features in the forum as time goes on. One I might point out is the tag feature in vbulletin.

If you want to see some of the other changes, please read this forum post.

I've also gone through and delete a TON of user accounts that had not activated their e-mail address (which implies they all had zero posts). I'll keep an eye on the number of new registrations with reCAPTCHA, if things remain the same, I'll moderate new user registration again.

Last edited:

Handruin

Administrator
If you find the thread title prefix option useful, please give me suggestions as to the types of prefix tags to generate. I created a few basic ones for now so people can play with them.

As an aside, I still haven't had time to move us to the new server, but that will happen when I get more time. That will hopefully resolve the performance issues we face from time to time.

Handruin

Administrator
So far, so good. :)

I haven't seen a new spam member register yet since the update...I'm hoping reCAPTCHA really does work this well. It's probably just a matter of time, but better than it was before. Now to find the time to move us onto the new server to get rid of this performance problem we have.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I haven't seen a new spam member register yet since the update...I'm hoping reCAPTCHA really does work this well. It's probably just a matter of time, but better than it was before. Now to find the time to move us onto the new server to get rid of this performance problem we have.

Hopefully reCAPTCHA can evolve faster than the spammers. I think I read something about 2 months ago of it being broken, but I can't find it now.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I don't think its possible for a mechanism like reCAPTCHA to evolve faster than the spammers. The tool developers can only do so much by way of prediction attack vectors; in general they're going to be stuck reacting to exploits, bots, and improved tech from the spammers (much like anti-malware products in general).