Upgrade to 2.0.19

Handruin

Administrator
Which phpbb theme are you using? Which browser? What resolution is your screen and/or is your browser maximized? A screen capture would be worth 1000 words if you don't want to answer all those questions.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I seem to have lost my cookie and keep having to login. I've gone into FF and told it again to keep SF cookies. If it continues to be a problem, I'll let you know.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I had to blow away my SF cookies to log back in with firefox 1.5.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I still have to log in; Firefox 1.5 shows that SF cookies are allowed and stored. I think they are expiring too soon. I have 3 of them for SF; 2 are set to expire at end of session, and the third today at 7:22 pm (it's now 7:24 pm).

Handruin

Administrator
Maybe the session is stuck in the database. I can flush them out later tonight, but it will log everyone off when I do it.

Handruin

Administrator
I wonder why the cookie/session thing happens after an upgrade. I'm able to remember my login. I don't normally use this feature, so I'm wondering if I had prior to the upgrade, if I'd be seeing your issue.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I had to re-login immediately post-upgrade, but I checked the 'remember me' box and haven't had to since. No big deal, especially since firefox remembers my ID & pwd anyway...

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks, Handy. I had to log in again and got a new cookie, set to expire in one year (Jan 6, 2007).

Handruin

Administrator
Now I need to hear back from sechs or anyone else who is having a similar problem with the menu being two lines.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Handruin said:
Now I need to hear back from sechs or anyone else who is having a similar problem with the menu being two lines.
You mean this?

Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | No new
messages | Log out [ Fushigi ]

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Fushigi said:
Handruin said:
You mean this?

Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | No new
messages | Log out [ Fushigi ]

Actually, like this:
Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | No new messages | Log out [
sechs ]

The problem is that the size of the table that the pages use to for the navigation bar are hard-set in the code. Resizing the window does nothing to solve the issue; browser should be irrelevant.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Sechs: I can make my screen look like yours if I increase the font size in Firefox 5.5 (CTRL+mouse scroll). At the size setting I have, it's all on one line.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
sechs said:
Actually, like this:
Home | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups | Register | Profile | No new messages | Log out [
sechs ]
Yep. Same thing with me.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
mubs said:
My cookie's gone again; don't know why. Had to login. Am I the only one with this problem?

I always have had to log in each time I post on SF.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
LM:

I don't know what browser you're using; in Firefox 1.5 (and earlier versions as well), I've got it set to delete all cookies when I close the browser. I've also told it to keep certain cookies and not delete them; SF was one of these sites, and each time I visited SF, the site knew who I was thru the cookie, and I never had to log in.

After this upgrade, I have to log in each time. The site set a cookie valid for 1 year, but is not reading it; instead it is setting a cookie that expires at the end of the session and so I have to log-in each time I visit.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The forums look just like they did before. No two lines titlebar for me. The titlebar would have to be pretty long to need two lines for me : my desktop is 1680 pixels wide.

Handruin

Administrator
I've renamed the cookie used at storageforum to a new name. I've also emptied the session table in the database. Now, everyone should be logged out and require a new cookie. Let me know if that helped any.

Handruin

Administrator
I've removed the hard-coded <td> width value for the menu links. Has that helped with the text-wrap issue?

Handruin

Administrator
I've even tried increasing my browser font size to an inappropriately large value and the text links did not wrap to the second line.

Handruin

Administrator
Glad to hear both items are helping a little. I'll wait to hear from others bother I claim victory. :)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well, this is the fourth time I've had to log in this year on this computer this year. I usually go about 6 months without needing to log in. :(

Handruin

Administrator
Is it still happening? This most recent login is understandable with the cookie name change. I log in multiple times per day; 4 times this month isn't so bad. ;)

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Doug, I'm not complaining, just trying to let you know what's happening.

The site is setting two cookies, one to expire at the end of the session and another that expires at the end of a year (2007).

But it appears to not look for the one-year cookie on a subsequent visit. That is why it is still making me log-in for every session. And since i've told FF not to delete SF cookies, the number of "expire at end of session cookies" keeps growing till I manually clear them out.

Why have you not set your browser to keep SF cookies and instead log-in several times a day?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Handruin said:
I've removed the hard-coded <td> width value for the menu links. Has that helped with the text-wrap issue?

Seems to be fixed. Is this default behavior for the board, or did you code it this way?

Since Fx1.5 now displays OpenType fonts with PostScript outlines, I switched by default font to Helvetica. That made the wrap obvious, as the text was *always* longer that the cell.

Handruin

Administrator
I coded it that way. Which means I need to go fix the rest of the other templates for phpbb.

No worries mubs, I'm not taking it as complaining. I'd like to figure out what causes the problem.

What extensions are you using with firefox? I'm not having the same problem as you while using FF 1.5.

I don't set the cookie because I don't always like to login. Sometimes I want more time to read all the new posts and if I login and don't have enough time, I'll lose the marking for new posts. I also don't want to chance letting anyone else use my account. It's not so much a concern on my home PC as it is other places I login from.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks, Doug.

The only extensions I have installed are :
Tab Mix Plus 0.2.5.2
netcrafttoolbar 1.1.1

This same set up worked flawlessly with SF before the upgrade; I haven't made any changes at all to my set up in the last several weeks. Except to keep my AVG updated and installing the MS WMF patch.

Handruin

Administrator
I'll go back and look through the change logs to see if there is a possible cause. I wouldn't suspect your AVG or WMF updates causing any problems.

So, are you doing something different with the cookies rather than using the default behavour of the browser?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Nope. I have FF set to delete cookies when I close it. I also have exceptions defined for sites that I want cookies not to be deleted. SF is one of the exceptions. Before the upgrade, things were just fine; my SF cookie(s) logged me in automatically. I haven't made any change to the way cookies are handled.

I cleared SF cookies and logged in just now. Here are the cookies that were set:

1)
Name: sfphpbb2_t
Send for: Any type of connection
Expires: at end of session

2)
Name: sfphpbb2_sid
Expires: at end of session

3)
Name: sfphpbb2_data
Expires: Monday, January 08, 2007 09:02:33 a

I would think that #3 should do the trick, but apparently it is not being read when I come back. I will test this hypothesis when I come back to the site and post my findings.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Update:

I closed the browser, and when I started it again, the end-of-session cookies were gone (#1 & #2); #3 was still there.

When I logged in now, I got 2 new end-of session cookies. Cookies #3, the data cookie, was either replaced or updated to expire on Monday, January 08, 2007 12:03:16 p.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Just had a bout of the page taking forever (30 seconds or so?) to load and the first time it did it asked me to log in again.

Handruin

Administrator
MaxBurn, I've had that happen a couple times in the past but it's not often. Did you end up losing all the new post notifications as a result of it? Let me know if you see it again or on a regular basis. I've seen it very infrequent, so I didn't dig any deeper into it.

mubs, I'm still perplexed at your problem with the cookies. I see the same cookies, but I'm not seeing the same problem. I looked through the change logs and nothing is obvious to me. That doesn't mean something else is causing the problem.

I'm going to remove all my SF related cookies and try again to see if i can reproduce this. I'll try applying the same exceptions that you have.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
MaxBurn said:
Just had a bout of the page taking forever (30 seconds or so?) to load and the first time it did it asked me to log in again.
That same thing has just happened to me and yes, I lost all the new post notifications.

Handruin

Administrator
mubs, when you allowed the cookies in the exception window, did you select "allow" or "allow session" for SF?

I realize this all worked fine for you before the upgrade (I can't yet explain why this is happening). But for then life of me, I can't reproduce the issue with my current FF 1.5 and cookie settings similar to yours.