vBulletin sEcurity iSsue

Handruin

Administrator

I couldn't find any mentions if this affects the previous version which we are using. Many of the comments seem to suggest what we encountered here was that VB5 was just a pile of crap. The original devs left to form and create XenForo after the acquisition from Internet Brands decided to muck things up for vbulletin. I'd be happy to consider moving us to another more-modern forum software but I fear the change would not be tolerated well.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. As long as it keeps working I wouldn't want you to waste time/money on "upgrading" a thing.

When we see posts from Merc praising the reliability of WD HDD, Samsung's wonderful RMA process and the utter delight S*NY brings to his heart, I'll know we've been hacked.

When DD describes his new computer build with a Celeron processor and $129 video card, I'll know we've been hacked.

SD saying he's voting for Sanders, I'll know we've been hacked.

Coug going a week without breaking anything, violently, I'll know we've been hacked.

Certain computer repair shop owners repairing Apple computers.....Oh shit!!!!

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I don't know if that's a great outlook for software publicly available on the internet. Especially, COTS software that has known vulnerabilities. It's only a matter of time before something bad happens.

Handruin

Administrator
If version 4.x is affected it won't be patched and no one wants to go back to 5.x.

This would also be vbulletin's leverage to force us to ver 5.x which I don't want to do. We have other forum options if they work for other people. One advantage with staying at ver 4.x is there are migration scripts to other major forum options.

Stereodude

Not really a
FWIW, Hardforum moved to Xenforo from vBulletin. It's okay, just not quite what I'm used to, but it's usable.

Handruin

Administrator
I believe Xenforo is former vbulletin devs who left after the new crew screwed up the product. I'd consider migrating us there.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
FWIW, Hardforum moved to Xenforo from vBulletin. It's okay, just not quite what I'm used to, but it's usable.

This. With respect to Hardforums.

Here? I don't see a need to upgrade unless their are reasons for doing so. Cost? Security? Mobile? Admin support functions?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
This. With respect to Hardforums.

Here? I don't see a need to upgrade unless their are reasons for doing so. Cost? Security? Mobile? Admin support functions?

Security is the biggest reason. All software is vulnerable, it's only a matter of time before this site is hacked because of an unfixed exploit.

Stereodude

Not really a
Does it have a usable "What's New" link?
I'm not sure... You can click "New Posts" and get a list of threads with new posts in them. I don't use "What's New" here or on any vB forum, so I'm not sure exactly what you're after.

Handruin

Administrator
This is the link I'm referring to. It's labeled "New Posts".

Sorry for the late reply. I believe XenForo does have this feature. Here is an example from their own website with the section named recent activity:

https://xenforo.com/community/recent-activity/

I'm giving more consideration to making the change over to XenForo. They support the full conversion from vbulletin and also support the plugins I'd want for managing spam (such as the stop forum spam plugin). There are several paid themes I can opt to buy to make the usability of the site subjectively more usable over the base theme. Change is never easy but this might be a nice way to get updates for a functioning forum product.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I know we have to stop the Chinese or whoever will be attacking the relatively old software. :(
I'm confident you will find something that works.